2016 Pre-Season (All news, press conferences, training reports, Photos)

we passed on Wagner to get Skinner. Guess we wanted that tall
Did we? Wagner went at 43, Skinner at 47. I would have thought that if we passed on Wagner at all, it was to take Mathieson (at 39) knowing he was a risk to go before 47. Maybe I'm wrong about that.

Did we? Wagner went at 43, Skinner at 47. I would have thought that if we passed on Wagner at all, it was to take Mathieson (at 39) knowing he was a risk to go before 47. Maybe I'm wrong about that.

Little bit. We could have matched NM's bid, effectively using pick 47 on Wagner.

Sep 18, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Mathieson was taken at pick 39. Wagner wasn't bid on until pick 43 for we would have had to use pick 47 like dlanod said. Post draft the lions recruiters explained they passed on Wagner because a player they really liked was still on the board...I assume that was Skinner

So essentially any future comparisons will be Wagner v Skinner ;)

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
They might have rated Wagner but he simply wasn't the type of footballer we were looking to add to our list.

xplo

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2004
The Original 'Cougar'
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Mathieson got in the way. Can't really pass judgment until we see how they both go (and if Mathieson stays).

Very true. And the fact that the bid for Keays came so late that we were in a position with points to even look at Mathieson. If the bid for Keays had been at 15, our next pick would have been in the late 50s (I think). Perfect for throwing at Wagner.

Mathieson was like the bonus $50 dollar you find in your freshly washed jeans. No idea you had it, not entirely sure how it got there, but pretty darn chuffed you do.

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Mathieson was taken at pick 39. Wagner wasn't bid on until pick 43 for we would have had to use pick 47 like dlanod said. Post draft the lions recruiters explained they passed on Wagner because a player they really liked was still on the board...I assume that was Skinner

So essentially any future comparisons will be Wagner v Skinner ;)
Have a feeling it might have been Johnson personally. Great pick up by Port and was one of my favourites coming in to draft night.

WA Lion

Club Legend
Jan 27, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Have a feeling it might have been Johnson personally. Great pick up by Port and was one of my favourites coming in to draft night.
Could very well be, but it is easy to argue they were keen on Skinner and thought he might be available. He ticks a lot of boxes for us:
  • Traditionally each year we take a punt on at least one highly rated player who is coming off a significant injury and has drifted in their draft ranking as a result (Robertson, McGrath etc)
  • We are crying out for depth in the genuine key tall defender area. Have mid sized talls like Beasley, Gardner etc but once Merrett retires we only have Andrews and Clarke left.
  • Tall enough to be a ruck prospect should he/the club develop that way
  • Good mates with Schache prior to draft so will help both settle in to QLD (clearly you wouldn't draft someone for this reason but it is a bonus)
I could be well and truly wrong but that's my complete guess anyway! :p

You'd think it'd be a nice way to inflict some pain on people questioning a person's supporter credentials but I'm too tenderhearted for this job. :(

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't know, I could see Wagner as the perfect #2
1609083_orig.jpg

Back