Training Pre-Season 2015-16

Remove this Banner Ad

Grimes, McIntosh, Batch, Lambert, Menadue, Miles, Griff have all played their part in our best 22 and none of them were first rounders, and in some cases not even second rounders.

In the last few years our recruiting has been much better after the first round than it had been, that's why many of us believe our 2014 crop may be our best haul possibly ever.

Don't think it's fair to say we have no depth anymore, cause I think we clearly do in most areas except maybe the ruck department.
Oooo I forgot about Grimes and McIntosh. And don't forget Shane Edwards and Alex Rance, who is actually considered to be elite. So, Miles, Edwards, Grimes and McIntosh. Add Matt White to this too because he was a solid recruit from beyond the first round although he is no longer on our list.

They are also quite solid players beyond the first round. Need to see more from Griff and Batch at this stage tbh. Both have shown glimpses of brilliance, but we need it to be more than just a glimpse.

But, I'll be honest and say that we hardly have gems from beyond the first round if you look at it unlike some other teams. You know, the "Dane Swan at pick 58" type of gem, or the "Taylor Walker at pick 75". I personally think we have some gems beyond the first round from the 2014 and 2015 draft, but before that not really other than Miles and Shane Edwards + Alex Rance (who were 2nd rounders anyway). We do have solid players, but that isn't what I am talking about when I say "gems".

The only thing is, we seem to have more first rounders on our list than a lot of other teams (maybe only behind Melbourne and GWS). I say this because we generally do well with our first pick and we don't trade away our first pick much.

So, while we haven't recruited a great deal of stars from beyond the first round like what some other teams have done (from 2013 and what is before that), quite a few of our good players are first rounders.

Cotchin, Deledio, Riewoldt, CEllis, BEllis, Vlastuin, Ben Lennon, Conca, Dustin Martin, Vickery are all first rounders

That Rance guy was a second rounder...
Yeah but he was like a priority pick in the second round or something like that. He not really a "gem" deep into the draft like Dane Swan was. He is a gem early into the draft at pick 18.

I don't think that is what that North Melbourne poster meant

I wonder if the players realise this could be their year if they truly believe, (and we have a bit of luck.)
Hawks without roughy for 6 months, port missing 2 of their better players for the year, plus we play essendon twice and there's lots of experience retired up in Sydney...
No excuses for not going top 4. still gotta get past north though
As i said last year.Top 4 is a must.
If we finish up in another elim final.I,m not going to bother to go.

And i also think we have one of the most dangerous mids resting forward players in the comp, Dusty, Lids, Cotch are all hard to match up on up forward unless the opposition drop numbers back which then gives us the advantage upfield.
No we don't.3 elim finals proved that.

I don't get why some find this post offensive, because I think a lot of it is true. Our first picks have generally been good, but our choices beyond the first round have been well below average if you compare that with the players that some of the other teams landed beyond the first round. Other than Miles, I can't think of many other players in our current team that are gems from beyond the first round that were picked up 2013 and prior. It is too early to tell for 2014 and 2015 bunch (although I have a good feeling about the 2014 bunch)

I want to see what Conca can do. I am hanging around for a full on breakout season given that he had a full preseason this year (If I am not wrong). One thing he does provide our team is the physical presence that we lack a lot in the midfield without him.

One thing I do disagree with is that we have more quality players than just 7 or 8 players. I'd say that it would at the very least stretch to 12-13 if not more.
The 2014 kids will tip the scales in a more positive note IMO.;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Class and speed? Sorry to interrupt the love-fest, but Conca provides no more then an okay presence inside. IMHO he hasn't really been made to earn his spot, and it really shows with some of the performances he has served up...

I agree with your previous point that your top end talent is good, however years of mediocre drafting after the first an second round is really obvious when looking at Richmonds list. The fall of quality after your 7th or 8th player speaks for itself.

Just on the first part, thats typical of coaches if they believe a player has talent but is always injured. Just look at your coach and Wells. Wells is a soft outside aging squib but when even at 50% fit your coach emoscott cant wait to play him.

Conca has been smashed with injuries, being this is his first pre season since he was drafted, he should have a good year. If not he is gone, how that is playing favorites ? lol

On the second part, lol please. Our drafting in the last 4 years has been good. We are just letting our kids develop in the VFL as they are young. I get you dont understand about youth being the age of your side, but it is what it is. I would look at your own list before throwing stones as your "youth" coming through is very vanilla.

As i said last year.Top 4 is a must.
If we finish up in another elim final.I,m not going to bother to go.

I think anything less than top 4 and a final win would be a fail of a year. There is no point finishing between 5-8 anymore, it is time to take the jump up into the 4 our best players Cotchin, Deledio, Rance, Martin, Miles, Riewoldt, and Edwards are now at a premiership window age. There is also the second brigade in Vickery, Houli, Grimes, Batchelor, Chaplin, Conca, Vlastuin and B.Ellis who have now played enough games that they should be able to cope with finals pressure and lift in big games.

OMG, another person who only looks at one game a year.
No use having "Matchwinners" who go missing when it does actually count TT.I give the 1st elim a free kick as it was understandable from where we were list wise,But the past 2,Sorry but our so called elite in Lids,Cotch,Jack and Dusty went missing x2.

No use having "Matchwinners" who go missing when it does actually count TT.I give the 1st elim a free kick as it was understandable from where we were list wise,But the past 2,Sorry but our so called elite in Lids,Cotch,Jack and Dusty went missing x2.

I would not say jack, he stood up last year but the others you are right. They have this season to make a statement, if they dont, they will lose me

I would not say jack, he stood up last year but the others you are right. They have this season to make a statement, if they dont, they will lose me
Yeah,Bit hard on Jack but wasn't his threatening self either.

Struggling to understand how North is relevant in a discussion re Richmonds preseason.. If anything North related should be discussed on this board, I'd probably suggest looking at the last game Richmond played, which provides some clear insights into the position of each list...
Yours was fresh after a week off. That was the major difference.

I don't get why some find this post offensive, because I think a lot of it is true. Our first picks have generally been good, but our choices beyond the first round have been well below average if you compare that with the players that some of the other teams landed beyond the first round. Other than Miles, I can't think of many other players in our current team that are gems from beyond the first round that were picked up 2013 and prior. It is too early to tell for 2014 and 2015 bunch (although I have a good feeling about the 2014 bunch)

I want to see what Conca can do. I am hanging around for a full on breakout season given that he had a full preseason this year (If I am not wrong). One thing he does provide our team is the physical presence that we lack a lot in the midfield without him.

One thing I do disagree with is that we have more quality players than just 7 or 8 players. I'd say that it would at the very least stretch to 12-13 if not more.
the Conca thing is funny, any time i come on here ppl are knocking him then when an oppo supporter does s**t hits the fan.... glass houses guys......

according to the Prospectus we have 17 Players that rate above ave for thier position. this doesn't include those that have played less than 10 games over the last 2 seasons so C.Ellis for example could go above that ave as well given a good injury run

Norf aren't relevant anywhere lmao
LOL Norf.

We've got a s**t tonne of speedy outside types now. We need a bullocking inside presence more than anything. Cunnington killed us in the EF. Absolutely killed us.
He killed us in the second half when Goldstein was dominating and he was able to remove Shaun Grigg

Tbh I wasn't attempting to get any "bites", I was merely stating my opinion, which is one that is shared by many, including some Richmond supporters, that your club has had an inability to add any real depth to its list. The main reasons I believe this is due to, is their recruiting after the first and second round has been poor, and guys like Conca haven't been able to be developed as well as they could have (why I added my 2 cents in the first place).
Tbh, you're just flaunting your ignorance. Before Conca tore his hammy off the bone in the 2013 elimination final, he was tracking ahead of Cunnington. Since, he's barely been able to get on the park - certainly not anywhere near the fitness level he's needed to be.

Don't believe me? Let's compare the pair. Cunnington is a year older, so we'll compare them at the same age, which is more than fair considering Conca has missed the equivalent of a season and a half more games than Cunnington.

First year in the AFL:
Cunnington (2010): 18 games, av. 13.8 disposals
Conca (2011): 17 games, av. 15.6

Second year:
Cunnington (2011): 16 games, av. 12.9 disposals
Conca (2012): 18 games, av. 19.4

Third year:
Cunnington (2012): 20 games, av. 18.4 disposals
Conca (2013): 17 games, av. 18.4

And despite Cunnington handballing two-thirds of his disposals, his disposal efficiency has only once been better than Conca's over the course of a season.

Now * off. :rainbow:

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back