AFL players who smoke

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recall seeing the Houlihan for Carlton smoking a durrie pre game in the change rooms caught on broadcast. Would have been about 10 years ago though.

i know it's embarrassing to know who he is, some puny australian idol contender from its early days
409631-anthony-callea.jpg

I'm sure as another poster mentioned there would be guys at most clubs who have the odd dart while out on the turps, I'd still be disappointed if I saw it first hand during the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dane Rampe has been caught smoking several times and that has annoyed me quite a bit since he is a modern player who should be trying to get the best out of his body.
I don't blame you. I'd be annoyed too if I found out a Hawk player was smoking regularly (or even at all). It's that detrimental to your aerobic ability that it would be infuriating to know that any player could be that much better if they simply didn't do it. Imagine we found out Buddy secretly had been smoking for his entire career. Yeah he's an athletic freak and is probably aerobically superior to most KPF in the history of the game - but that he could've been even better but wasn't just because of that.

I don't blame you. I'd be annoyed too if I found out a Hawk player was smoking regularly (or even at all). It's that detrimental to your aerobic ability that it would be infuriating to know that any player could be that much better if they simply didn't do it. Imagine we found out Buddy secretly had been smoking for his entire career. Yeah he's an athletic freak and is probably aerobically superior to most KPF in the history of the game - but that he could've been even better but wasn't just because of that.
I probably shouldn't tell you who a mate of mine saw puffing away on the beach...

I probably shouldn't tell you who a mate of mine saw puffing away on the beach...
I'm not so naive to think that of the 40-odd blokes on our list that not one of them participates in the consumption of legalised recreational drugs (and likely some more on illegal varieties). But you're right, I'd rather not know.

It was the norm back in the day.

Wouldn't have thought many if any would smoke regularly while playin AFL, they simply wouldn't be able to keep up with the demands of fitness and everything else.

On weekend though there would be more than a few who after a few drinks do a bit of social smoking.

One of my favourite footy stories is the essendon trainer who handed out the Viscounts to Leon Baker, Van Der Haar, Simon Madden and others on the ground after the 84' gf as they waited for the formalities to begin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back