Past Jake Edwards

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 37. Jake Edwards

Snake is my smokey for next year.

Edwards will either burst onto the scene like John Anthony as a forward and kick 25 goals if we improve our forward structure.

Or he'll spontaneously combust in the VFL and be delisted at the end of next year.

I hope we pick Edwards ahead of Wiggins next year.

Edwards offers us more than Wiggins if he clicks.

I don't mind Snake as a player and think he's been a bit unfairly done by by not being given opportunities to really cement his spot in the senior side.

He works much better up the ground than closer to goal and can play a role for us as a lead up player off the half-forward flank. Doesn't strike me as a big goal kicker but may be able to chip in for a few here and there.

Played 5 games for 4 goals so may be able to get to a goal per game. Hopefully he plays 10-15 games in 2009 and kicks an amount of goals in that vicinity.

Has a good set of hands and very good pace so he could be used as a 3rd of 4th tall forward option which we really need. He could even play up on a wing throughout games where his height could be used to great advantage.

I wouldn't mind seeing a forward line of:

CHF: Edwards/Fisher Cloke Houlihan
FF: Kreuzer Fevola Betts

I don't mind Snake as a player and think he's been a bit unfairly done by by not being given opportunities to really cement his spot in the senior side.

He works much better up the ground than closer to goal and can play a role for us as a lead up player off the half-forward flank. Doesn't strike me as a big goal kicker but may be able to chip in for a few here and there.

Played 5 games for 4 goals so may be able to get to a goal per game. Hopefully he plays 10-15 games in 2009 and kicks an amount of goals in that vicinity.

Has a good set of hands and very good pace so he could be used as a 3rd of 4th tall forward option which we really need. He could even play up on a wing throughout games where his height could be used to great advantage.

I wouldn't mind seeing a forward line of:

CHF: Edwards/Fisher Cloke Houlihan
FF: Kreuzer Fevola Betts

I see why you have either Fisher or Edwards rather than both as you cannot have two similar players that have poor kicking skills and/or poor penetration in their kicking in the same forward line.
I dont think Edwards has much more to offer than Fisher other than a touch of pace, with Fisher being better overhead.

My prediction, will be gone at the end of 09.

Edwards is a better set shot and has better penetration on his kicking than Fisher.

Fisher has the sticky hands but Edwards is no slouch overhead and has Fisher easily covered for pace and strength.

He plays the same role as Fisher so he has been starved of opportunity as Fisher still had credit in the bank from his 2007 season.

If Fisher doesn't promptly prove that 2008 was the exception and 2007 was the rule then Edwards may just get enough opportunity to show his wares in 2009 and make it very hard for Fish to get a game.

I see why you have either Fisher or Edwards rather than both as you cannot have two similar players that have poor kicking skills and/or poor penetration in their kicking in the same forward line.
I dont think Edwards has much more to offer than Fisher other than a touch of pace, with Fisher being better overhead.

My prediction, will be gone at the end of 09.
A touch of pace?

Edwards caught up to Deledio who had a headstart on him and nearly ran him down.

Fisher is useless if he doesn't mark the ball or get his hands on it.

The opposition just run it out of the backline without any pressure.

Snake has more to offer Carlton than Fisher when he has the legspeed to apply pressure to the opposition's backman.

Fisher makes life harder for our backman when he doesn't chase.

If Edwards can play five to ten games and average a 1.5 goals a game he should get another contract.

Edwards is a good kick from fifty.

Edwards also has the legspeed to beat a shorter opponent to a groundball in the square after it comes over the back.

Fisher doesn't...

If Jake can show he can replace Fisher in our 22, I wouldn't hesitate to trade Brad next year when St Kilda wanted him.

A touch of pace?

Edwards caught up to Deledio who had a headstart on him and nearly ran him down.

Fisher is useless if he doesn't mark the ball or get his hands on it.

The opposition just run it out of the backline without any pressure.

Snake has more to offer Carlton than Fisher when he has the legspeed to apply pressure to the opposition's backman.

Fisher makes life harder for our backman when he doesn't chase.

If Edwards can play five to ten games and average a 1.5 goals a game he should get another contract.

Edwards is a good kick from fifty.

Edwards also has the legspeed to beat a shorter opponent to a groundball in the square after it comes over the back.

Fisher doesn't...

If Jake can show he can replace Fisher in our 22, I wouldn't hesitate to trade Brad next year when St Kilda wanted him.

A good kick from fifty? You have to be kidding. Edwards is good kick from nowhere let alone from fifty.

We dont just want someone who can chase backman, we want someone that can take marks and kick goals, which I dont think Jake can do (not that fishers did in 08, but he has done it before). If we want pressure in our forward line and someone to crumb the back of packs, then we need another Betts type, not Edwards.

If he plays five games and kicks 7.5 goals next year at a minimum, that is the basis for another contract? If he only plays five games it shows that he is not good enough to get a regular senior game, therefore after 4-5 years in the system is not good enough to play AFL.

Unless Fisher gets injured, Edwards doesnt have anything over him to squeeze him out of the side.

Edwards will be gone at the end of 09.

to be quite honest i dont see either being the second tall forward that are going to solve the blues goal kicking woes. fisher is an inconsistent performer and has been for a few years now and his kicking just isnt there. edwards is yet to prove himself at afl level. he is second string to fisher in that lead up position and unless fisher does and injury and allows edwards to come in and he plays some good footy i cant see edwards getting another contract, which is a pitty because i think given the chance to develop at the top level he could become a reasonable player for the blues

does anyone have word on jakey and whether he'll still be around next year? i really like this kid, i hope he doesn't get delisted..

Jakes story is interesting on Insight, went through a tough time open honest talk on his battle with depression what it was like not to make it, hit rock bottom
Spoke about it a while back on an ABC program as well, becoming a great spokesperson for depression among young males who need that guidance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I knew Jake had mental health issues, but I didn't realise he had attempted to take his own life.
Poor bloke.
Glad to hear he is in a good place at the moment.
If you get the chance he did a interview with Mark Howard on his Howie Games podcast series, its a great listen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back