2016 NFL Division 1

Remove this Banner Ad

IF Heidelberg won the flag this year, I wonder what would be written on the trophy... 'heidelberg' or 'Trevor Barrot'

Surely Barrot has a mistress he can pump money into instead of wasting it on a club with no culture.
Not sure about Heidelberg's culture but must be doing something right after 140 years. I don't think you are in a position to comment on culture deadbrain with the deplorable record at your club.

I'm not sure what "culture" is but winning seems to be a handy type of "culture" to me. Don't care how you get them
Buy them or steal them premierships aren't given to you like participation awards. Bergers have a few in the last 25 years so they must be doing something right! Most clubs would be very envious IMO. PS culture can't be too bad if Favrin Nolan and co. Are returning to the club

I'm not sure what "culture" is but winning seems to be a handy type of "culture" to me. Don't care how you get them
Buy them or steal them premierships aren't given to you like participation awards. Bergers have a few in the last 25 years so they must be doing something right! Most clubs would be very envious IMO. PS culture can't be too bad if Favrin Nolan and co. Are returning to the club
Limited knowledge of this comp but in general terms, returning players and blokes sticking around when they finally hang them up is often one of the best ways of judging the quality of the club itself. :thumbsu:

Limited knowledge of this comp but in general terms, returning players and blokes sticking around when they finally hang them up is often one of the best ways of judging the quality of the club itself. :thumbsu:

Exactly right. How many blokes have left Greensborough this year out of interest? Now there's a club with a crap culture.

who gives a flying fu*k about Heidelbergs recruiting,. I support Eltham and i enjoy watching eltham vs Heidelberg twice a year. They bring big name players who enhance the reputation of the league. No point jumping on here and sooking about it.

There has been 6 different premiers in the last 7 years. They arent dominating.
Good point Ebert,the standard of the comp is dependant on who clubs recruit and I have enjoyed watching some of the champions Heidelberg have recruited over the years.If you just rely on home grown talent,unfortunatley you wont be competitive for long.Surely the return of Bower is not only good for Heidelberg but the NFL as a competition

Hey boys speaking from experience after loosing 5 grand finals too the berg , they have a good culture and are a great club . You all speak of buying premierships and too a minor element it may have some truth however they recruited very smart and 80 % of there playing group was the same all the way through that period that they dominated , yes they topped up with a couple of extra guns most years but I guarantee if Bundoora could have we would have too . And I must admit they were a good bunch of blokes too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ins? Yes. Outs? Those denied in clearances, majority signed 2 year contracts and will play at Lower or nowhere. Simple! Training numbers excellent and by all reports, everyone responding well and enjoying a very good pre season.

If that isn't the biggest one sided load of rubbish I'll go jump. Once a clearance is submitted those lads aren't coming back, and that's that.

If players want to go let them go. No point trying to stop them from being able to play football

I have no inside knowledge but my view is players should uphold contracts unless they want out for a good reason such as living relocation maybe. These are senior adults so if you only intend to stay 1 year then don't sign for 2. Clubs need to plan for things to..

Ins? Yes. Outs? Those denied in clearances, majority signed 2 year contracts and will play at Lower or nowhere. Simple! Training numbers excellent and by all reports, everyone responding well and enjoying a very good pre season.
So no ins then?

Lower Plenty FC is very pleased to announce the engagement of Jeff Gieschen to the club in the newly created role of club development manager.

Jeff’s enormously impressive football resum’e across playing, coaching, administration as well as national umpires manager brings an incredible wealth of footy acumen to our club.

The club is currently in a very exciting phase of development with the creation of the role of Coaching Director which Vin Dittoli is performing in 2016 . Added to that is the further development of our partnership with the Research Junior Football Club with the development of some new programs the clubs will undertake together to further enhance the “one club- one pathway “ mission.

As president I feel very fortunate on the clubs behalf to have someone of Jeffs calibre join the Bears ranks to add value to our club with his vast experience and enthusiasm in and around all things footy. We tend to have our heads down all year controlling the day to day issues of the club and rarely lift it to take a breath or cast an eye over the clubs continual development and future direction. Jeff is not hindered by history or emotion and will be free to create fresh ideas drawing on his vast experience. His role will include being a sounding board for our coaches, development of club culture, implementing leadership programs , linking programs with RJFC and mentoring the Diamond Creek Womens newly appointed senior coach, Tania Hetherington.

Its appropriate I believe to list Jeffs achievements in our game to allow everyone to fully understand what a great opportunity this is for our club.

PLAYING

Captained Victorias under 16 team and was voted All Australian vice captain of the under 16 team.

Played 150 senior games for Maffra in the Latrobe valley football league winning 3 league player of the year awards and 2 league best and fairest awards.

He won 7 senior club best and fairest awards for Maffra including one as a 15 year old lad.

He also captained the LVFL rep side .

Played 24 games for the seniors at Footscray Football club 1974 – 1978.

He had one year at Wodonga in the Ovens and Murray football league winning the club best and fairest that year.

COACHING

In 1979 he returned to the LVFL coaching Maffra and was inducted into that clubs hall of fame in 2008.

Coached Wodonga from 1986 – 1991 for two premierships resulting in being awarded Ovens and Murray coach of the year in 1990.

During Jeff’s 6 year reign at Wodonga the club won 5 league championships. Those titles are based on the combined results of the clubs three grades. Ones twos thirds , which is a real indication of his impact across the whole club.

Named Wodongas coach of the century in 2004.

Coached West Perth from wooden spoon in 1991 to a Grand Final loss to Claremont in 1993 , the same year he was awarded the WAFL coach of the year.

Named West Perth coach of the century in 2008.

1995 – 1996 assistant senior coach at Geelong which included a grand final appearance.

1997 became the Richmond FC Reserves coach taking them from the wooden spoon to premiers in the same year.

1997 was elevated to coach the senior side at Richmond for a win loss ratio of 52 % over 49 games.

Finally Jeff fulfilled the role of AFL umpires national manager for a staggering 14 years. During this time he oversaw an incredible change in umpires professionalism and advancement in many areas.

Please make yourself known to Jeff when you see him around the place and make him feel very welcome. Feel free to bounce ideas and thoughts off him that you feel may contribute to the development of the football club. Bring on season 2016 !

Grant Barden.

Make sure you have a no early exit cause due to better offer else where in your contract.

Poor old Gisborne wish they had of.

Make sure you have a no early exit cause due to better offer else where in your contract.

Poor old Gisborne wish they had of.

My understanding is Gisborne told the Gesch they owed a certain amount of $$$ and after he worked hard to raise a fair bit of coin for the club the committee informed him of a much larger outstanding amount. So it was a breech of trust that gave him an opportunity to leave his contract early.

Trevor Barrot has done more for this comp than any of you bums. Have a bit of respect
I don't agree that he has done a heap for the comp, but I do think he has been a wonderful strategist and leader for Heidelberg. IMO he has made his name at HFC club not at NFL.

I don't agree that he has done a heap for the comp, but I do think he has been a wonderful strategist and leader for Heidelberg. IMO he has made his name at HFC club not at NFL.

Was the catalyst behind putting an end to the corruption of the former DVFL administration. I would think that is a reasonable contribution.

But I agree, has certainly made his name as a terrific contributor to the HFC.

Last edited:
So no ins then?
A couple of ins, but obviously not in the category of Moneyberg. Will be probably the youngest list in the comp, with the lowest points. Happy for people to assume what they want, but fairly confident the boys will do ok. I remember another club being in a similar or worse position than us about 3 years ago. They are current premiers.

Was the catalyst behind putting an end to the corruption of the former DVFL administration. I would think that is a reasonable contribution.

Agree Trevor cast the first stone, but his intention was always at club level trying to get a better deal for HFC. It started when he tried to transfer HFC into the EFL and when the DVFL refused the transfer, he appealed to AFL Vic and again HFC lost. Trevor then lead the way with other club Presidents for AFL Vic to take over the DVFL. Once the DVFL delegates voted to allow AFL Vic into look at the DVFL affairs it was AFL Vic people who took the DVFL to the transition of becoming the NFL over the next 6 months.

My understanding is Trevor has never been on the NFL board or been on an NFL lead committee. Again a great club person but not a league person. In some way after the debacle of the DVFL its probably better the the NFL board and staff are in the background without the big personalities and names of the likes of the old DVFL .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back