NRL League in Crisis

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Off the back page of the telegraph. Says all 16 clubs threatened to breakaway last year and form a super keague. Wtf.

IMG20160210104440.jpg

football operations being the key part. Leagues clubs bailing them out. Calls into question hiw much of the tv rights the nrl are giving to clubs. Obviously not enough why they threatened to breakaway. Nrl still needs people to come to the games tho.

So who will stump up the money for a breakaway league? Channel 9 had to convert debt to capital so I doubt television rights will be re-negotiated. Channel 10 spent all that money on "I'm a Celebrity..." & Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. Surprised the Cowboys & Broncos struggle for profits after their 2016 year. Broncos particularly given they attract 33,595 average to H&A games and have a real hold on SE Qld.

I'd say a few clubs need to trim the fat. Cut down on wasting Gatorade, stay in share accommodation, take the train from Sydney airport etc.

Off the back page of the telegraph. Says all 16 clubs threatened to breakaway last year and form a super keague. Wtf.

IMG20160210104440.jpg
Btw, sorry if no one can read the text, originally the file was too big it wouldn't upload. I should've take another shot of just the text. It's basically just saying that --- all 16 clubs threatened to breakaway last year and form a super league because they're all making a loss in football operations. The innuendo being (i think) that the NRL isn't sharing enough of the TV rights money.

I just thought that was a bombshell of a thing. No rumor/hint of something that enormous leaking all last year.

AFL clubs just as indebted. Hell Hawthorn have 8m in debt, as much as the Eels.

This is just the Sydney sides' old guard rattling the cages, again.

Aussie rules suffers from the centralised control of a boys' club at AFL house - but I'd take that any day over the rubbish power struggles between close to a dozen seperate Sydney based old boy's clubs the NRL have.

usual bullshit from terrorgraph. If people can't understand how the NRL clubs are run or what a leagues club grant is their ******* idiots.

This is literally like saying that every AFl club who receives money from various social clubs to make a profit was "bailed out"

Yes the clubs definitely weren't talking of jumping ship due to the way some clubs are trying to rort the juniors system, or that some clubs keep getting granted salary cap exemptions to "keep talent in the game" or the instability at the top level or issues with ground funding and rumours clubs will forced into two grounds far removed their player base, more rumours about cutting clubs in sydney, the cluster * of a TV rights deal. more games each round. no it was because for the most part clubs made one off operating losses relating to paying out large contracts, investments and fines, almost all of which were covered by leagues clubs grants which are designed to do just that.

the simple fact is very few sports clubs globally make profit from ticket sales alone, given that the bulk of off field assets are controlled by the leagues club rather than the football club from time to time clubs, will look for off field revenue.

Just another of rupert's desperate attempts to argue he can fix all of Leagues problems with money.

It's the same with footy, billons of dollars in sports that only twenty years ago were lucky to break a million still not making money. Well somebody is and if it isn't the clubs then it's the association.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back