Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

MCG= A cricket ground.
MCG members get priority tickets.
Club members don't get dedicated seats.
I'd negotiate a better deal or build a true AFL stadium rather than a rented one.
ps. Is wembley stadium owned by cricket?

MCG is owned by the Victorian Government not cricket. MCC members overwhelmingly join for the AFL games (outside the Ashes I don't think their section has ever been full for a cricket match). AFL is the primary tenant, biggest revenue earner and why the capacity is so high.

Melbourne Cricket Ground is just the name.

MCG is owned by the Victorian Government not cricket. MCC members overwhelmingly join for the AFL games (outside the Ashes I don't think their section has ever been full for a cricket match). AFL is the primary tenant, biggest revenue earner and why the capacity is so high.

Melbourne Cricket Ground is just the name.

Close. The Stadium is owned by the MCG Trust, but the stadiums primary tenant and stadium manager is the Melbourne Cricket Club. Even were it not the stadium manager the MCC has rights to the 26,000 seat MCC reserve. The AFL remains a secondary tenant, albeit with a reserve of its own. Importantly until the mid 80s, the number of VFL games played at the MCG was much less, and things like Shield and one day cricket were more popularly attended, the crowds and revenue would have been a lot closer.

Football didnt really overtake cricket until Essendons move there from Windy Hill.

The reason the capacity is so high was the 1956 Olympics - the MCGs capacity was less than Princes Park (the favoured site and VFLs preferred site). The Cain Snr Government would only support a MCG solution, and here we are. The reason it stayed so high was probably a combination of football and cricket, not just football, combined with the Victorian governments tourism aims.

Close. The Stadium is owned by the MCG Trust, but the stadiums primary tenant and stadium manager is the Melbourne Cricket Club. Even were it not the stadium manager the MCC has rights to the 26,000 seat MCC reserve. The AFL remains a secondary tenant, albeit with a reserve of its own. Importantly until the mid 80s, the number of VFL games played at the MCG was much less, and things like Shield and one day cricket were more popularly attended, the crowds and revenue would have been a lot closer.

Football didnt really overtake cricket until Essendons move there from Windy Hill.

The reason the capacity is so high was the 1956 Olympics - the MCGs capacity was less than Princes Park (the favoured site and VFLs preferred site). The Cain Snr Government would only support a MCG solution, and here we are. The reason it stayed so high was probably a combination of football and cricket, not just football, combined with the Victorian governments tourism aims.

No, it's owned by the Victorian Government.

The government-appointed MCG Trust vests administration of the Melbourne Cricket Ground in the Melbourne Cricket Club.

The Trust meets bi-monthly to discuss general policy on ground management and development.

All trustees are State Government nominees.

The MCG Trust members are:
  • Mr Bob Herbert AM (chairman)
  • Mr Ian Carson
  • The Hon. Pat McNamara
  • Mr Dale Monteith
  • The Hon. Peter Costello AC
  • Ms Jane Fenton AM
  • Ms Stephanie Reeves
  • Mr Paul O'Malley
  • Ms Siobhan McKenna
http://www.mcg.org.au/about-us/mcg-trust

No one would argue the ABC and Australia Post aren't owned by the Federal Government because they have each have a board.

The MCC aren't a tenant, they're the stadium administrator. There's no "MCC events" except probably corporate lunches or that sort of thing.

Last edited:
No, it's owned by the Victorian Government.

No one would argue the ABC and Australia Post aren't owned by the Federal Government because they have each have a board.

Take your argument up with the Act that governs the MCG - the Ground is granted to and controlled by the Trust, even if the Government can excercise effective control over the Trust through board appointments and ministerial directions.

Of course, you can also ignore the fact that everything else you said in your prior comments was wrong.

Take your argument up with the Act that governs the MCG - the Ground is granted to and controlled by the Trust, even if the Government can excercise effective control over the Trust through board appointments and ministerial directions.

Of course, you can also ignore the fact that everything else you said in your prior comments was wrong.

I don't need to argue anything. I'm just communicating the facts while you give misinformation.

The ABC and Australia Post and other government entities also have Acts concerning their existence and operations (and these Acts can be and sometimes are changed). That's not private ownership or control and it's disingenuous to suggest or imply otherwise.

Whether the relevant Minister calls once a week or once a year doesn't change the ownership.

Last edited:
I don't need to argue anything. I'm just communicating the facts while you give misinformation.

The ABC and Australia Post and other government entities also have Acts concerning their existence and operations (and these Acts can be and sometimes are changed). That's not private ownership or control and it's disingenuous to suggest or imply otherwise.

Whether the relevant Minister calls once a week or once a year doesn't change the ownership.

I havent misinformed anyone. Im as correct as you are on this point. You are wrong on everything else you wrote on your post about the AFL and the primary tenancy.

Well, if you want to be technical, Yarra park is Crown Land, and thus owned by her Majesty...

More realistically, sure, ultimately the Vic government 'owns' it, but in effect it's on a, very, long term lease to the MCG trust, and if the landlord wants to modify the lease in favor of one party (AFL) at the expense of another (Cricket/MCC), the courts would probably be called on to adjudicate on what is allowable.

Doesn't really matter though as the government seems quite content with the status quo (as do the AFL and cricket).

I know it won't be until years away, but just wondered if there is a master plan in place for when it comes time to replace be great southern stand, if it will follow the same form as the northern one, or something different ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know it won't be until years away, but just wondered if there is a master plan in place for when it comes time to replace be great southern stand, if it will follow the same form as the northern one, or something different ?

They have just refurbished the Southern Stand so I doubt there are any plans for a replacement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The refurbishment did a pretty good job making it seem new again.

Inside the ground and concourses look good,
It's about the seat colour though, the brown of the AFL Reserve and the green of the other part aren't really that appealing.
Likewise great southern stand exterior needs some love

Inside the ground and concourses look good,
It's about the seat colour though, the brown of the AFL Reserve and the green of the other part aren't really that appealing.
Likewise great southern stand exterior needs some love

When they replaced the Level N seats with that deep blue I thought they were going to do the whole stand, but alas, nothing.

After the renovations another 20 years before replacing it is the plan I think.

The refurbishment did a pretty good job making it seem new again.

Same seats, inferior to the Olympic-Ponsford.

Good the fence was going to turn crowds into a nightmare. These other security measures i can tolerate and am happy to deal with if it means we don't have the fence.

Is it possible that the MCG increase capacity in the next 30/40 years? Seems silly to me but just wondering.

Is it possible that the MCG increase capacity in the next 30/40 years? Seems silly to me but just wondering.
I've often thought this. Seems silly now if your asking how would you, but i imagine in the future there will be away to improve it more, just how it's possible isn't foreseeable

There are two ways I can see them increasing capacity, all of which could be done at the same time
1) Demolish the Great Southern Stand and Rebuild bigger and better v2.0
2) Replace the seats on Level M with seats that can slide on and off (and in turn long metal bars with cup holders in their place), so that whole bays can be converted from Seating to Standing. How good would Grand Final day be if the whole Level M was standing. Not sure how many extra people would fit, but probably 20,000+

There are two ways I can see them increasing capacity, all of which could be done at the same time
1) Demolish the Great Southern Stand and Rebuild bigger and better v2.0
2) Replace the seats on Level M with seats that can slide on and off (and in turn long metal bars with cup holders in their place), so that whole bays can be converted from Seating to Standing. How good would Grand Final day be if the whole Level M was standing. Not sure how many extra people would fit, but probably 20,000+

Makes it hard to see though!

If they rebuilt the great southern stand and replaced it with something similar to the northern stand, the capacity should end up at around 110k (since the northern stand takes around 55k people iirc)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back