Multiplat Overwatch (BattleTags now in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Something just feels off about the game, i can't quite put my finger on it. but i wouldn't be surprised if right around launch an impressive line of figurines was launched and expanded with each update.

Blizzard is a marketing machine. It's one of the things that makes them great.

Many games come and go and are dead before anybody even starts to care about them simply because nobody ever knew they existed and could never get hyped about them.

Some people just eat s**t like this up. That's just the way it is.

Like most Blizzard games we'll get servers in 2-4 years.

You can't do that for FPS, ping is god in shooters. They need local servers in all areas they are selling the game. The question is if those servers will be up during the beta period.

I have now played every hero. Some are good, some are bad, some are just team players. Some tweaking needs to be done for sure.

Playing an FPS game with many strange abilities is certainly weird. It's on a much higher level to TF2 regarding what is possible and this is what will keep the game fresh. The dream of getting a sweet kill streak with a well timed and executed ultimate keeps you going.

Some of the maps are a bit busted and way too easy to defend the choke points. The camping team just gets to sit back and rack up the kills even while being smashed by multiple ultimate abilities. You just respawn, clear them off the checkpoint and run the timer out. Camping the temple my team was hit with multiple dragons, rocket barrages and even the exploding mech and the attacking team still couldn't get close.

It's a good game. I'm not sure I will want to buy it though, at least not until I upgrade my computer. I get some real frame drops in the bigger team fights which isn't too fun. Pretty sure it's mainly to do with not having enough video ram, many games want to pre-load well over a gig of textures these days meaning that having at least a 2GB vram graphics card is what you need if you want to play at 1080 resolution.

I've now played a little bit more. Only when I can beg for some time off my housemates lol

Had quite the session last night. Pings seemed to be a little better but still mostly unplayable for the fast aim and shoot heroes.

I finally got a Play of the Game with D'Va. I boosted around the corner and started shooting people close range and got 3 kills. Her damage is really bad unless you're point blank.

I find Winston is nice and easy to play, you get to use his jump to get up close and personal and start cooking people with the tesla cannon.

The camp bots are annoying (Toubjorns sentry and Bastion siege mode) but can be countered when good players use the tanks properly. The problem people are having is that you need really good attacking strats to be able to beat what is essentially brain dead camping and that's not really fair.

---

So that's enough of the actual gameplay which those that haven't played might not appreciate.

---

This game is amazing. As you play more and realise how rewarding the strategies you can use are and how high the skill caps on some of the heroes are you can really appreciate that this isn't something you're going to get bored of overnight.

It's like TF2 on steroids such is the variety and how fun it is to go off with a sweet ultimate ability getting a few kills at once.

After playing all the maps many times on my aging PC I really do feel this has been optimised really well. Only the richest of game companies can ever polish off their code to the point where framerates are this silky smooth. To say I'm impressed is an understatement, sometimes it feels a bit like playing Quake III back in the day. Certainly doesn't have that clunkyness that the Valve source engine has always had.

People are salty they can't play it and I get that but naysaying the game simply isn't on. I have no doubts this will succeed at least for the first 3-5 years.

Australian server now confirmed but who knows how it works as sometimes you get matched into US games anyway.

There just isn't enough players in Australia with beta access to fill the server consistently is the leading theory on why it does this.

25 ping when connected to the AU server. 250 on US server.

There's a special crew in Australia. They always 6 stack and always win (on AU low ping servers).

I have played with them a few times. I just get carried. Good guys, they let me play what I wanted while they filled all the roles. They're just very dedicated to finding the right team mix for every match.

It's going to take months for the rest of the country to catch up to the strats these guys have going but I guess you wont have to play against them if you're not that good with a decent pool of players for the matchmaker to work from.

Really I'm not even sure they're that good but I still feel it's an unfair advantage these guys have over everybody that didn't get to play the beta every other day. I'm sure the same thing is happening in other regions, almost as if Blizzard has already decided who the first season of competitive teams will be through their own "random" selection process.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Free open beta :)

Had a good time, but maybe a bit heavy on the flash-bang-woop graphic indicators and so on. Might just be my age.

My son likes it and has been watching every beta video and teaser. Though he says none of his gamer mates know much about it at all.

Keen to play later tonight. Im only letting myself get either this or Battleborn.

Common comparison I think due to the way the games are presented but quite a bit of difference in the two. Battleborn is a MOBA with MMO raid style PvE content. Overwatch is purely objective based Team Fortress like PvP. At this moment though if you are just after the one that actually works then Overwatch :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back