KGBeast

Club Legend
May 17, 2012
Frankston
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Bruins, Kansas City Chiefs,
What is your favourite set of footy cards? Mine funnily enough is the 1981 Scanlens simply because it was the set that started my collection. Aesthetically I prefer the 1992 Regina cards with the blend of close up shots and action shots. Just curious to see the response.

1994 Select. My Dad bought me the set for my 6th birthday, when I knew next to nothing about footy. Were one of my most treasured possessions over the years, and a few of the cards (Tony Modra, Gavin Wanganeen) became quite dog-eared from handling over time.

Think I managed to throw it out at some point, which I regret. Buying another one of the same set (I think they're still available to purchase from Select) wouldn't be the same.

'89 Stimorols with the red borders. Like u KG it was the first set I started collecting, the back of the card had stats n comments, the front had in action shots for the most part.

1990 Stimorols were great too, I remember in '91 they went to s**t, you'd get 4 David Parkin cards in each pack. Started wasting pocket money on basketball cards after that for the next couple of years..FML

Two two sets I am after most at the moment are the 1984 and 1987 Scanlens.
I also like the 1988 Stimorol.

I bought the full set minus 1 card of 1990 for 20 bucks years and years ago, but I consider that set very unspectacular - boring even.

I have a fairly completed set of 1989 which I like, but isn't easy to find.

In 1994 I didn't go for the standard Select - I got myself both a combo of Cazaly Classics and Players Choice. I sunk plenty of cash into Player's Choice, which was probably a mistake. $3 a packet, but I used to get 2 for $3 at Caribbean Gardens...still...worthless set. Only cards worth anything are the signatures. Also got a few of the AFL Sensation cards, which I thought were nice.

What were the set of cartoon type cards in the early 80's
They were humorous type cards. i.e. the one of Bartett referred to hungry and he was eating a football with a knife and fork.

I've got no idea what I did with those cards :( Think I might have sold them to a kid at school.

Its a shame select is going the way its going.
Not listening to customers wants, putting out the same thing out almost every year.
For me they have been disappointing for years now, and the up coming release isnt going to change my views.
They really need some competition but with the AFL only handing out one licence it wont happen for at least another 5 years

I liked the Cazaly's Classics a lot ..
Cards depicting players taking a mark seem to be rare.

examples? not including Cazaly's Classics?

if there were more cards like this I'd probably still be addicted to buying cards as I was years ago ..

$T2eC16RHJHwE9n8ihq!IBRbztVm-hQ~~60_35.JPG

I *did* recently happen to see a certain card at the local market a few weeks ago which sent me back to my youth and I just had to have it ($6 didn't seem too much of an indulgence) :

$_35.JPG

so as you can see I like the action shots which depict exciting players doing their thing - yet, boringly, most cards are standard kicking action shots, or just show the player with ball in hand.

If I get a NicNat card, I want it to be of him jumping over someone at a ruck contest.
If it's Tom Hawkins, he's gotta be taking a contested grab.
That kinda thing.

Last edited:
Mine was the 1978 scanlens. Like most above, the first set i collected (i was four!) I still remember walking up the hill to the milk bar (google what that is...) and they were 5c a pack or something . The design was exciting and colourful. Later in my childhood i got the whole set and many other sets from the 1970's and 80's only to sell for about $100 each so i could buy more piss....sad but as they say...the journey is better than the destination. .... i am collecting again now for my kids so if anyone has any......?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mine was the 1978 scanlens. Like most above, the first set i collected (i was four!) I still remember walking up the hill to the milk bar (google what that is...) and they were 5c a pack or something . The design was exciting and colourful. Later in my childhood i got the whole set and many other sets from the 1970's and 80's only to sell for about $100 each so i could buy more piss....sad but as they say...the journey is better than the destination. .... i am collecting again now for my kids so if anyone has any......?

I only have a Ray Card card from 1978, but just saw this on Gumtree (you might have to part with a kidney):

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/trar...scanlens-vfl-full-set-of-156-cards/1103179844

Remove this Banner Ad

Back