Whos Midfield was better?

whos midfield was better?

• West Coast-Cox,Judd,Cousins,Kerr,Fletcher,Embly

• Brisbane-Keating,Voss,Black,Akermanis,Lappin,Power

• Geelong-Ottens,Ablett,Bartel,Corey,Selwood,Ling

• Hawthorn-McEvoy,Hodge,Mitchell,Burgoyne,Lewis,Smith

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

As a team, Hawthorn are up there as one of the very best ever but collectively compared to other individuals like Cousins, Kerr and Judd . . . ;)

West Coast had 3 superstar mids in Kerr, Cousins and Judd, all were explosive and tough, the perfect inside/outside midfield.

Yeah......And a whole 1 Premiership, with the best ruckman of the lot....Pretty midfield to watch, but not alot of defensive accountability there.

Fell away very quickly....But Coke does that.

Yeah......And a whole 1 Premiership, with the best ruckman of the lot....Pretty midfield to watch, but not alot of defensive accountability there.

Fell away very quickly....But Coke does that.

I know you don't seem to rate the importance of forward and back lines - but is just possible a contributing reason to West Coast not winning multiple flags was because their key forwards were Quentin Lynch and Ash Hansen? Not exactly the caliber of Hawthorn or Brisbanes is it?

I know you don't seem to rate the importance of forward and back lines - but is just possible a contributing reason to West Coast not winning multiple flags was because their key forwards were Quentin Lynch and Ash Hansen? Not exactly the caliber of Hawthorn or Brisbanes is it?

No, it's not.

Mick Nolan has nothing to do with this thread.

That wasn't the point.

Brisbane's closely followed by WC. Throw a blanket over the rest. All great midfields though.

I'd say WCE premiership Judd would be as much a certainty as Ablett for sure.

Cox - Judd - Ablett - Voss - Cousins - Akermanis

A lot of ball winning power, skill and spread among this group, although you could put together a number of combinations and they'd all look terrific; Kerr, Mitchell, Black and Selwood all pretty stiff to miss for example.
:thumbsu: we agree on 5 of the 6. great minds think alike.

:thumbsu: we agree on 5 of the 6. great minds think alike.

Yeah. You could easily swap Mitchell in and he wouldn't look out of place. I think Cox is a gimmie for the ruck spot and Ablett, Judd and Voss are the untouchables ... after that you could add from a number of the other players for the last two posts depending on what you like.

Went the Eagles.

McEvoy is pretty good at everything except for rucking itself where he is fairly average. Makes the efforts of the Hawks mids more impressive but if we're talking quality across the entire group then you can't go past Cox, Judd, Cousins, Kerr...

I went with the lions, they were so hard at it, I loved watching them.
Think they are all superstar
midfield 's.
Have no issues with people putting Hawks 4th on that list but anyone that says they are not near the rest don't watch them enough or close enough. But as our forward line is so good it enables or mids to be more defensive

I went with the lions, they were so hard at it, I loved watching them.
Think they are all superstar
midfield 's.
Have no issues with people putting Hawks 4th on that list but anyone that says they are not near the rest don't watch them enough or close enough. But as our forward line is so good it enables or mids to be more defensive

Yep. I don't mind us being 4th in this one. Having guys like Rioli and Poppy in the forward line who apply so much defensive pressure really puts a lot of pressure on the ball coming out. Roughead and Gunston are also very good defensively. It makes a big difference to our mids in regaining the easy possession and firing it back in.

Cousins, Kerr and Judd always destroyed Brisbane during the early 2000's so don't know how anyone can say Brisbane's mids were better. Obviously Brisbane's team was better during that era though.

Geelong's was also beat by Cousins, Kerr and Judd in the mid 2000's, albeit not as badly as they would do to the Brisbane mids.

Hawthorn's are just big game players but if they came up against any of the other 3 even playing at their best I don't think they would be able to compete.

1. WC
2. Geelong
3. Brisbane
4. Hawthorn

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could you imagine a combined side from these teams ...

FB: Gibson - Scarlett - Enright
HB: Hodge - Taylor - Lappin
C: Akermanis - Voss - Kerr
HF: Chapman - Brown - Franklin
FF: Rioli - Lynch - Stevie J
Foll: Cox - Judd - Ablett
Int: Roughhead - Cousins - Mitchell - Bartel

Emg: Selwood - Ottens - Black - Burgoyne

That team would take some beating.

Could you imagine a combined side from these teams ...

FB: Gibson - Scarlett - Enright
HB: Hodge - Taylor - Lappin
C: Akermanis - Voss - Kerr
HF: Chapman - Brown - Franklin
FF: Rioli - Lynch - Stevie J
Foll: Cox - Judd - Ablett
Int: Roughhead - Cousins - Mitchell - Bartel

Emg: Selwood - Ottens - Black - Burgoyne

That team would take some beating.
Would be fun to do a draft of just those 4 teams and see how they shape up. Would be tough.

Top 5 picks for me:
1- GAJ
2-Voss
3- Franklin
4-Judd
5- Akermanis (this pick was very hard, but went for X-factor)

I reckon those top 4 would be pretty set (the order probably wouldn't though). Seriously thought about Cox at 5 actually.

Cousins, Kerr and Judd always destroyed Brisbane during the early 2000's so don't know how anyone can say Brisbane's mids were better. Obviously Brisbane's team was better during that era though.

Geelong's was also beat by Cousins, Kerr and Judd in the mid 2000's, albeit not as badly as they would do to the Brisbane mids.

Hawthorn's are just big game players but if they came up against any of the other 3 even playing at their best I don't think they would be able to compete.

1. WC
2. Geelong
3. Brisbane
4. Hawthorn
agree to a point, that was the perception i had as well, we always seemed to have trouble with the eagles and the swans during that period. i just had a quick look through the results for the 01-03 seasons, lions v eagles met 4 times for 2 wins each. lions wins were by 22 points at subiaco in 2001 and by 47 points at the gabba in in 2002. the eagles wins- 46 points, subiaco, 2002 and 69 points, gabba, 2003.
lions H&A form in those years while very good, (they didn't win a minor premiership in those years) it was their ability to lift for finals that was their strongest feature.

Yes....But over half our midfield has 4 Cups.

And...4>>>3

Yet apparently Voss/Acker/Black/Lappin>>>Hodge, Mitchell, Burgoyne, Lewis....According to Big Footy:drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk:

Go figure.
Voss/Aker/Black/Lappin=3 Brownlow medals. Hodge/Mitchell/Burgoyne/Lewis=0 Brownlow medals. Probably has been a contributing factor for those rating the Lions 4 over the Hawks 4.

Voss/Aker/Black/Lappin=3 Brownlow medals. Hodge/Mitchell/Burgoyne/Lewis=0 Brownlow medals. Probably has been a contributing factor for those rating the Lions 4 over the Hawks 4.
Not really relevant. Brownlow is a midfielders medal and the Hawks midfield is playing in an era of versatility under a coach who championed it during this era. Lewis spends a lot of time up forward, Burgoyne and Mitchell off half back, and Hodge where ever he's needed.

The Hawks talent is spread far more evenly across the team and their game plan is designed not to be reliant on any individual.

Not really relevant. Brownlow is a midfielders medal and the Hawks midfield is playing in an era of versatility under a coach who championed it during this era. Lewis spends a lot of time up forward, Burgoyne and Mitchell off half back, and Hodge where ever he's needed.

The Hawks talent is spread far more evenly across the team and their game plan is designed not to be reliant on any individual.
In that case why are you using premierships to come to the conclusion that the Hawks4 are superior to the Lions4? Wouldn't something like number of BnF's or All Australian selections be a better measure?

In that case why are you using premierships to come to the conclusion that the Hawks4 are superior to the Lions4? Wouldn't something like number of BnF's or All Australian selections be a better measure?
1. I didn't make the premierships argument.
2. I didn't claim the Hawks4 were superior to the Lions4.

Back