SA and VFL should play for the Whitten-Kerley Cup.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jascave

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2005
Sandringham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers
Next time when SA and the VFL meet in an State game, why don't the two states play for a trophy, to be known as the Whitten-Kerley Cup, in honour of the two great legends of their respective states-the late E.J. Whitten Snr (Victoria) and Neil Kerley (South Australia).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not a bad idea to be honest. Although i can't recall a trophy being shared between two names. i'm not SA but i'd be happy for it to be called the Kerley cup out right. Unless i can think of someone who has represented both states well, example played VFL but having played SANFL and played state games. Anyway this caught my attention, i wish we had discussions like this on the VFL board

Not a bad idea to be honest. Although i can't recall a trophy being shared between two names. i'm not SA but i'd be happy for it to be called the Kerley cup out right. Unless i can think of someone who has represented both states well, example played VFL but having played SANFL and played state games. Anyway this caught my attention, i wish we had discussions like this on the VFL board
Mark Williams played state footy for both SA and Victoria. May have even captained Victoria?
The Choco Cup!

anyway, isn't the current VFL the old VFA? maybe there is a great from the VFA who deserves a bit of recognition. I think the VFA used to be represented in the state carnivals many decades ago didn't they?

Mark Williams played state footy for both SA and Victoria. May have even captained Victoria?
The Choco Cup!

anyway, isn't the current VFL the old VFA? maybe there is a great from the VFA who deserves a bit of recognition. I think the VFA used to be represented in the state carnivals many decades ago didn't they?
The VFA does deserve recognition, but there aren't that many greats that are remembered on the same way and AFL/VFL player would. To be honest if your unaware to the situation of the VFA/VFL over here, the AFL has practically killed the competition, it's a mess, littered with reserve sides and the only two sides with their identity the same as it was from the good old days are port melbourne and willaimstown.

I spoke of this myself right here on BF several years ago.

I thought a Robran & Cook Trophy would be better, Whitten is more associated with the VFL/AFL and i don't think he had any links to VFA/VFL.

Fred Cook however is synonymous with the VFA/VFL through his Port Melbourne days, with several flags to his name and kicked over 1200 goals and represented the VFA on nine occasions. Yeah he had some issues after his career came to a close but hey, crap happens.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back