Training Preseason 15/16 - TTHD

Remove this Banner Ad

Lets give Brown the benefit of the doubt and watch him in the nab cup and early rounds of this year before we pass judgement. By memory Wellingham, shepphard and schoefield were all pretty average players heading into 2015 and all of them turned into vital team players. brown worked really hard last season and one of the rumoured players to be a stand out in the track. If it wasnt for his ACL, he could have also been one of the biggest improvers last year. So Far his not in my best 22 but i wouldnt be surprised if he makes the actual best 22.

My top 5 important players:

- Naitanui: on song, he simply doesn't give the opposition a chance.
- Wellingham: is the best "mopper up" we've had since Wirrpanda.
- Kennedy: turns effort into reward for the whole team.
- Shuey: one of our few mids (of the past few years) that can genuinely hurt the opposition.
- LeCras: brings awareness and poise that not many footballers have.

After a few years of being consistently too tall last year was a bit of a revelation - injury depleted our tall stocks but we arguably looked better with a smaller, more mobile side containing only 6 talls

Essentially we had JK and jack up forward, Nicnat and Sinclair in the ruck with the odd stint up forward, and gov and schoey down back

Lycett takes sinclairs spot
eMac comes in which would bring is back up to 7 talls which should be our max

Leaves schofield and brown competing for a spot
Mcinness is cover for one of the tall forwards or possibly a ruck option
Barass is injury cover down back

I'll be pissed off if we go into a game with more than 7 of the above

After a few years of being consistently too tall last year was a bit of a revelation - injury depleted our tall stocks but we arguably looked better with a smaller, more mobile side containing only 6 talls

Essentially we had JK and jack up forward, Nicnat and Sinclair in the ruck with the odd stint up forward, and gov and schoey down back

Lycett takes sinclairs spot
eMac comes in which would bring is back up to 7 talls which should be our max

Leaves schofield and brown competing for a spot
Mcinness is cover for one of the tall forwards or possibly a ruck option
Barass is injury cover down back

I'll be pissed off if we go into a game with more than 7 of the above

I consider this the biggest dilemma Simpson faces this pre-season.

I'll follow Shepherd's season particularly closely. He was a much better player against opposition talls than smalls. The temptation will be to change his role back to guarding smalls. He could find himself on the outer.

I'll follow Shepherd's season particularly closely. He was a much better player against opposition talls than smalls. The temptation will be to change his role back to guarding smalls. He could find himself on the outer.
No way. Shep was player of the finals, took his game to a whole new level not many thought possible. He was a hard nut who could intercept mark with eyes only for the ball in contests. He is a lock.

Nearly spilt my coffee on myself reading this. Shep is the Ragnar Lothbrok of the football world . His legacy will remain long after he is gone . One of the best HB in the league.

This is a pretty good point - he looks much more comfortable playing against leading medium forwards like Crameri compared to smaller crumbing forwards.

I doubt he'll find himself on the outer, but this sort of balancing act is what I am concerned about re: bringing Brown straight back

Lets give Brown the benefit of the doubt and watch him in the nab cup and early rounds of this year before we pass judgement. By memory Wellingham, shepphard and schoefield were all pretty average players heading into 2015 and all of them turned into vital team players.
Schofield had already had very good seasons in the past, and had shown his worth as a rebounding KPD. If anything, his form dropped considerably when we were playing more talls (Glass and Brown included) in the side in 2013-2014.

Likewise Wellingham had shown a lot at Collingwood, he simply took some time to adjust to playing in a new team.

Brown has never shown as much as either player, and given our glut of talls we don't really need him. Sheppards form did come out of nowhere, but he's a few years younger than Brown so you'd expect that.

My top 5 important players:

- Naitanui: on song, he simply doesn't give the opposition a chance.
- Wellingham: is the best "mopper up" we've had since Wirrpanda.
- Kennedy: turns effort into reward for the whole team.
- Shuey: one of our few mids (of the past few years) that can genuinely hurt the opposition.
- LeCras: brings awareness and poise that not many footballers have.

You've got to be kidding?! He had a good season but there is no way Wellingham is more important than Gaff, Priddis and McGovern,

This is a pretty good point - he looks much more comfortable playing against leading medium forwards like Crameri compared to smaller crumbing forwards.

I doubt he'll find himself on the outer, but this sort of balancing act is what I am concerned about re: bringing Brown straight back
Our bench is gonna be good

Most important:

1 - Nic Nat. Anyone on this board who disagrees with this can GTFO.

2/3 - Shuey and Kennedy, order them how you like, I have Shuey by a nose.

4/5 - Gaff and Priddis, again order them how you like.

I think our backline has shown that it can cope with losses of any individual players and still function because the load is shared so well. Therefore I didn't put any backline players in the top 5 most important.

What will we get for Lamb... should we open communication with St Kilda now or wait until the end of the season?

Mind you a Sheppard/Lamb package would be a novelty .... could get something good for that!!
An extra pick just for the pun and jokes provided surely

Last edited:
I have never seen a checkside banana on the tree . That would look odd on the tree . And bananas hang vertical not horizontal . Once picked you can have your bend to the left or right . You can have an inside banana or an outside banana .
I thought bananas grow straight and the Queenslanders bend them when they are picked??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My top 10 most important players:
1. Naitanui
2. Kennedy
3. Mackenzie
4. Shuey
5. McGovern
6. Gaff
7. Priddis
8. Darling
9. Sheppard
10. Hurn

HM: LeCras, Wellingham, Yeo

Does the fact that we finished 2nd (almost 1st) without Ermac mean he isn't as important as we think he is? He's a fantastic defender, but we have the cover for him.

Does the fact that we finished 2nd (almost 1st) without Ermac mean he isn't as important as we think he is? He's a fantastic defender, but we have the cover for him.

I'm surprised by the general consensus around here on this point.
Sure, we covered him pretty well by adapting our game plan.
However, there were games where we were really caught out without him around (the Adelaide game stands out, although that was also the result of Adelaide's superior gameplan executed well).
He is an improvement on Schofield and I believe is the lynch pin for releasing McGovern forward (well, more than the nominal amount he played there last year) and for releasing Yeo into the midfield and forwardline.
As such I believe that the injection of Mackenzie into our 2015 team will make a substantial difference to our flexibility going forward and he remains one of our most important players.

Last edited:
Emac back, means Hurn can push further into the midfield which means more potential options for attack.

I'm surprised by the general consensus around here on this point.
Sure, we covered him pretty well by adapting our game plan.
However, there were games where we were really caught out without him around (the Adelaide game stands out, although that was also the result of Adelaide's superior gameplan executed well).
He is an improvement on Schofield and I believe is the lynch pin for releasing McGovern forward (well, more than the nominal amount he played there last week) and for releasing Yeo into the midfield and forwardline.
As such I believe that the injection of Mackenzie into our 2015 team will make a substantial difference to our flexibility going forward and he remains one of our most important players.

Well said. FWIW I agree with you. Just drumming up a bit of conversation.

vxMaQ.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back