Players under 24 to have a breakout season.

Remove this Banner Ad

From the Swans I reckon Dean Towers will establish his spot in the best 22. His last three games of the season were excellent as a marking half forward. 20 disposals, 6 marks, 2 goals against GCS in R23 was great to see.
Then of course there's Mills, who will be a gun. Zak Jones will improve, but not to elite levels. Plus it'd be nice if Gary Rohan improved

Chad Wingard. After two All Australia selections at 22 years of age, he is ready to breakout and truly become half as good as Cyril.

I think Matt Crouch will have somewhat of a breakout this year, has already shown he can find the ball with ease, but i think he will
get more time at stoppages now that danger is gone. Cam Ellis-Yolmen is another one who should benefit from Danger leaving.

Hopefully Daniel Menzels run with injuries is over and he can fulfill his massive potential. Lachie Hunter at the dogs came home like
a freight train last season once he shook the dreaded vest, one of many young players in the comp that will be happy the vest is gone for good.

Who are they? You would expect a player that has out in some strong performances that are well known but needs to go to the next step, to have a breakout year!

Ben Lennon was Taken at pick 12 before cripps due to break out very classy footballer
Sam Docherty well his a great player already but will get midfield minutes this year
Jack Billings is a very classy mid won't get any attention all year and will be damaging has very elite kicking skills
Mark whiley is a good footballer good inside mid and can play on the wing too

Adam Oxley is a good chance
Unless Oxley significantly improves his contested game this year he'll struggle to break the 22. Exceptionally good when left unmanned, but found out easily if the opposition pays any attention to him.

Tom Lamb
Blake Acres
Josh Walker.
Hopefully lamb gets a game first. I love the thought of having lamb in the 22 but i dont think we will have Kennedy, Darling, Lambs and resting ruck. We have had 4 talls in the forward line but it hasnt been that successful.

They are perfect candidates IMO. people listing Laird, Wines and Walters who are already stars in some capacity. A breakout for me is a player that went from relatively unknown or under appreciated to a star level.

Last year Easton Wood and McGovern were perfect examples. Wines getting another 2 disposals a game or Walters kicking another 10 goals doesn't constitute as a breakout for me, just gradual improvement on their already high standards.
It depends what people define as a breakout year, many have different opinions of it. I have wines and i see that he has already a bit in his 50 odd game career, but there are some kids that adjust to footy from day one and then go to another level ( from good elite) 3 or 4 years late. Dangerfield is a perfect example of that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From Richmond:
Ben Lennon, Reece Conca and Nick Vlastuin hopefully

From others:
Angus Brayshaw, Zach Merrett, Darcy Moore, Ollie Wines from the top of my head

Wines is still a young Gun as is the likes of cripps, bont, stringer and hogan. Im saying he will breakout into an elite AFL player.

I disagree, Wines is ahead of all those guys,(except maybe Hogan) and is already in the competitions elite.

Comment template

Player 1: already proven and well-regarded midfielder/forward from another club. This proves that your comment is unbiased.

Player 2: high profile spud from your own club, surely this is the year that he beats homesickness/injuries/bad luck/the coach hates him/global warming and becomes a superstar.

Jack Steele: will get plenty of opportunities with treloar gone. Has all the tools to be a great player and I expect big things from him

Aiden Corr: has bulked up considerably over the off season and will be able to win more of those 1 on 1 battles.

Dylan Shiel: was on fire last season before injury struck, I believe he will explode this year and become one of the most damaging young mids in the game.
Not sure Corr has bulked up

If I were to choose one from each club, off the top of my head

Adelaide - BCrouch
Brisbane - Mayes
Carlton - idk. Graham?
Collingwood - Aish
Essendon - Laverde
Fremantle - Weller
Geelong - Thurlow
GC - Martin
GWS - Haynes
Haw - Hartung