List Mgmt. The future of McCarthy, & Tomlinson (opposition supporters welcome but tread carefully)

Remove this Banner Ad

The notion that we should delist him either now or at the end of the season such that he's available as a delisted free agent is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Yes. But I think the main push is for the AFL to enact that course of action on compassionate grounds. The tiniest chance that GWS might see the writing on the wall and do it voluntarily to maintain an outward perception of caring. But if the AFL does make him a DFA, then contracts in the AFL as we know them will become irrelevant.

The difference being McCarthy has to sit out for two full seasons. So be it. This getting nothing business is a furphy. Standing by the principle of fulfilling your contract is far more valuable than some picks we don't even need.

I can see GWS accepting that course of action. Pay him to sit out of AFL, in WA (perhaps some WAFL time?) this year at least, maybe next year too. At some point, though, if it's obvious he's not going to change his mind (irrelevant whether it's real or exaggerated homesickness), they may as well trade him and get some trade value. Will just have to see how it plays out.

I'd be disappointed if we let him play WAFL. I find it very odd Sth Freo are publicly stating they want him already. If he wants to quit his contract than go right ahead but it means he cant play any level for 2 years. The best way for him to get to Freo is to put his head down for the next 7 months and be an adult about it.

I'd be disappointed if we let him play WAFL. I find it very odd Sth Freo are publicly stating they want him already. If he wants to quit his contract than go right ahead but it means he cant play any level for 2 years. The best way for him to get to Freo is to put his head down for the next 7 months and be an adult about it.

Interestingly, there's few comments from Freo supporters that are tending to downplay the 'mental health issues' aspect and talk about it's just a strong affinity to Fremantle and strong homesickness. Not that any of us know the truth. But that certainly strikes to your latter sentiment there, Grouse Mate.

I guess the discussion about letting him play WAFL would be to enable him to keep fit, perhaps even to regain his enjoyment for the game if that has truly waned, and therefore make it more likely to decide to come back to GWS. Or just to keep some trade currency going. I wouldn't say an outright no, but would say that GWS need to clearly understand what they might be opening up if they do that.

Interestingly, there's few comments from Freo supporters that are tending to downplay the 'mental health issues' aspect and talk about it's just a strong affinity to Fremantle and strong homesickness. Not that any of us know the truth. But that certainly strikes to your latter sentiment there, Grouse Mate.

I guess the discussion about letting him play WAFL would be to enable him to keep fit, perhaps even to regain his enjoyment for the game if that has truly waned, and therefore make it more likely to decide to come back to GWS. Or just to keep some trade currency going. I wouldn't say an outright no, but would say that GWS need to clearly understand what they might be opening up if they do that.
The purple pansies are also saying he was happy to go to victoria in the draft if not freo.
But that the Giants took him without even talking to him him or his manager.

Baha the latest. From them.

This just puts a smile on my dial.

Freo fans

Maybe I'm being a little sensitive and reading into the pun too much, but surely AFL.com.au could have shelved it, particularly when it relates to another GWS player...<br /><br />
mummy.png

True Mummy is very important to us but the article failed to mention that arguably our best mid,a co captain and a crucial big bodied defender all suffered long term injuries about the same time.

Inarguable, but not relevant to the article, which I read some whiskeys ago, but it's purpose was to define the most important player at each club for this year, that was the context I was referring to, what happened concurrently last year impacted on us for sure, but if all the other guys stay healthy this year and we lose Mumford in round 1, we better be lubed because we will be screwed..

Inarguable, but not relevant to the article, which I read some whiskeys ago, but it's purpose was to define the most important player at each club for this year, that was the context I was referring to, what happened concurrently last year impacted on us for sure, but if all the other guys stay healthy this year and we lose Mumford in round 1, we better be lubed because we will be screwed..
The improvement I saw from long and downie last year makes me think that we won't be screwed. But we will struggle, Dawson Simpson does provide some mature relief if mummy goes down

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. And misrepresenting the situation. Here's a classic ... one of their own posters tries to tell the Freo board why it's not unreasonable for GWS to want to keep him ( :thumbsu: ), and the response completely reverses the situation.

SP said:
Because it is a condition of his employer that he goes to whichever branch office they send (draft) him to. Which he knew when he signed up with them.
Response:
Work for Kennards Hire, if I got told 'Right you now work for Wangara or Joondalup' I'd definitely blow a lid and try to change that.

Bloke. You signed up a second time voluntarily to work at Wangara or Joondalup. The employer hasn't changed a damn thing. It's not that hard to understand surely.

If they want to go with the homesickness angle, then I'm happy to say there's an issue that GWS needs to be sensitive to. But if they want to go with the 'Why him and not Boyd' & 'Why should he be forced to be somewhere he doesn't want to be' then they prove they don't actually understand much about AFL for an area that's got such a 'rich AFL history'!
Didn't exactly cover myself in glory there, one of my more shameful moments on Bigfooty. (Kennards comment). Although perhaps I allowed the spectre which is their HR department to cloud my judgement.

Let's not kid ourselves, the situation is GWS can hold to contract all they need to. Much like we'd do if one of our own did the same(I.e if Weller did infact want to go to Saint Kilda).

After all I did start a main board thread actually defending the bigger clubs taking your talent, regardless of contract status. Around the O'Rourke time.

Also welfare schmelfare, but a bit of utilitarianism is in order. Unlike Gold Coast and I've said repeatedly in public that I see you guys eclipsing Sydney in the future, just a vibe... I can't really back up why I say it. But you've got a club to run and you shouldn't bend over. Greatest amount of good for the greatest amount of people. So what I'm saying is, thoughts on whether he needs to be traded or not for his health? Disregard it.

Does that mean I wouldn't want Cam at the club? Of course I would. Does that mean Freo are big bad guys for chasing a forward? No, according to Pav's book plenty of teams were always in his ear and they'd have been silly not to try.

Stick to your guns. Although I'm sensing in a few years time neither team will have Cam and he'll be forgotten.

Didn't exactly cover myself in glory there, one of my more shameful moments on Bigfooty. (Kennards comment). Although perhaps I allowed the spectre which is their HR department to cloud my judgement.

Let's not kid ourselves, the situation is GWS can hold to contract all they need to. Much like we'd do if one of our own did the same(I.e if Weller did infact want to go to Saint Kilda).

After all I did start a main board thread actually defending the bigger clubs taking your talent, regardless of contract status. Around the O'Rourke time.

Also welfare schmelfare, but a bit of utilitarianism is in order. Unlike Gold Coast and I've said repeatedly in public that I see you guys eclipsing Sydney in the future, just a vibe... I can't really back up why I say it. But you've got a club to run and you shouldn't bend over. Greatest amount of good for the greatest amount of people. So what I'm saying is, thoughts on whether he needs to be traded or not for his health? Disregard it.

Does that mean I wouldn't want Cam at the club? Of course I would. Does that mean Freo are big bad guys for chasing a forward? No, according to Pav's book plenty of teams were always in his ear and they'd have been silly not to try.

Stick to your guns. Although I'm sensing in a few years time neither team will have Cam and he'll be forgotten.
Thats a bit all over the place.
An apology here, a dig there.

Im too hung over for this and its to early.

there are so many kid's that would die to be given the opportunity he has . There are no mental issues he is just home sick and misses mates and family i actually think it's pretty soft on his behalf, he also doesn't take footy that seriously apparently losing 7kg's in the offseason with next to no training is going to hurt your team losing him for nothing but i reckon there is every chance he doesn't make it anyway.

there are so many kid's that would die to be given the opportunity he has . There are no mental issues he is just home sick and misses mates and family i actually think it's pretty soft on his behalf, he also doesn't take footy that seriously apparently losing 7kg's in the offseason with next to no training is going to hurt your team losing him for nothing but i reckon there is every chance he doesn't make it anyway.

His doctor, are we?

Haven't been through the entire thread, but anyone got a gut feeling on what Tomlinson might look at doing at the end of the year.
He's still under contract, but a lot will depend on how he's used in the team. I don't think that Tommo quite accepts where the team sees his greatest worth and he was coming off an interrupted season too.

While he's unlikely to be playing CHF as much as he wants too (favourite position) if he's spending time up front, kicking goals and given special responsibility on key targets (Reiwoldt for example) it might confirm he's valued and wanted, meaning he'll probably stay.

But if he's injured and having to come back through the NEAFL again he may ask to be traded.

Haven't been through the entire thread, but anyone got a gut feeling on what Tomlinson might look at doing at the end of the year.

Thommo is an interesting one. There has never been any indication from the lad himself that he wants out. Lots of rumours from the BF keyboard warriors out there,but none from Thommo himself.

A couple of years ago, in one of the "ask a Giant" sessions on Twitter he was asked about staying and contract negotiations and his reply was pretty simple - I want to stay and I'll take whatever they offer me - which a lot of people wrote off as the sort of thing players always say in such instances. But true to his word, about 8 months later he signed a new deal with a minimum of fuss and fanfare. Backed up his words with his actions.

He's never been played in his preferred position forward, but I reckon he's a much better swing man anyway. And after his first year he's really only been out of the team when injured or coming back from injury, though a lot of people seem to think he's not/never been a lock for the 22, which is odd because all indications are otherwise.

He only played 8 games last year, so again a lot of keyboard warriors had him unhappy and wanting to leave, not realising that he had a major toe issue and a couple of other niggles that kept his game time down (he only played 3 games in the NEAFL) so the rest was lost to injury, it's not like he was out of the side, as such and in the magoos for the majority of the year.

Don't forget everyone had Shiel leaving as well, because he never said much publicly, but when push came to shove he put his pen to paper and is still here on an extension.

I think/hope he will continue to defy expectations and quietly surprise people and stay the distance.

I think Tommo is one of those blokes who is more an athlete than a footballer.

He has specs re endurance, speed and height that are quite frankly Riewoldt like but quite often when he plays goes missing or takes poor options. His goal kicking is also sub par.

That said he is a great clubman, is very well liked by everyone and is just a great player/person to have at the club.

Bigger blokes take longer to mature and if he can find a way to use his attributes he could have a break out year and be a key pillar to success.

He is a bit Melbourne centric and although he loves the club I think misses the sport 24/7 environment of home but if he consistently cracks best 22 I think he will stay for good.

GWS Giants’ Cam McCarthy still no closer to returning to football as he battles mental health condition

TROUBLED Greater Western Sydney forward Cam McCarthy is no closer to returning to football as he battles a serious disorder.

Rest of the article here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back