2016 Pre-Season (All news, press conferences, training reports, Photos)

Remove this Banner Ad

Half time at the moment, first half thoughts:

The Good:
-Bastinac is classy inside. First match simulation I've seen this pre season and he's impressed me the most. Very good addition.
-Schache has been quiet but just before half time did some great body on body work to take a strong contested mark. Great to see glimpses like that.
-Freeman had a great first quarter. Presented a lot.
-Hanley very involved and very classy.
-Stef his usual self.
-Mayes is using the ball superbly and very involved, largely on a wing it seems.

The Bad:
-Bell is not a good user of the footy at all. Got plenty of it but barely had one effective disposal. Worst was when he was passed the ball right into an open goal and fumbled it. It was actually quite funny.
-Harwood is just as bad. Shocking user of the footy today. Missing targets worse than ever.
-Keeping our feet - we don't. We're still falling over a lot which makes contests tough.

The Ugly:
-Just our skills in general. The usual pre season hype had gotten a hold of me a little and unrealistic expectations had started to mildly set in. Seeing our skills today though (it is windy, but that doesn't make up for the completely basic stuff we're messing up all the time) has me planted back in realism. I think anyone expecting a big improvement this year is probably going to be disappointed. We're on a journey and we're still some way off. Would love to be wrong but I can't imagine good sides do a lot of what we've done today.

Other notes:
-Freeman and Schache backing up in the ruck a bit. Only seen Schache ruck up forward though.
-Bell playing almost exclusively inside the forward 50.
-Hanley has spent a lot of time up forward as well.

Anyway, back to enjoying the day on this hill. Very nice afternoon
I can't say I'm surprised re: Bell. His kicking will not be fun to watch this season unless a minor miracle occurs.
Harwood however... probably not helping his chances of selection if he's really been that bad. It's a big year for him and he really needs to lift if he wants to get regular game time. Not sure the application is there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Expected a bit more than from Mike Whiting for this. I know it's just an intra club game, and I don't expect play by play, but it would have been nice if he provided a bit more detail than what he has so far.

Half time at the moment, first half thoughts:

The Good:
-Bastinac is classy inside. First match simulation I've seen this pre season and he's impressed me the most. Very good addition.
-Schache has been quiet but just before half time did some great body on body work to take a strong contested mark. Great to see glimpses like that.
-Freeman had a great first quarter. Presented a lot.
-Hanley very involved and very classy.
-Stef his usual self.
-Mayes is using the ball superbly and very involved, largely on a wing it seems.

The Bad:
-Bell is not a good user of the footy at all. Got plenty of it but barely had one effective disposal. Worst was when he was passed the ball right into an open goal and fumbled it. It was actually quite funny.
-Harwood is just as bad. Shocking user of the footy today. Missing targets worse than ever.
-Keeping our feet - we don't. We're still falling over a lot which makes contests tough.

The Ugly:
-Just our skills in general. The usual pre season hype had gotten a hold of me a little and unrealistic expectations had started to mildly set in. Seeing our skills today though (it is windy, but that doesn't make up for the completely basic stuff we're messing up all the time) has me planted back in realism. I think anyone expecting a big improvement this year is probably going to be disappointed. We're on a journey and we're still some way off. Would love to be wrong but I can't imagine good sides do a lot of what we've done today.

Other notes:
-Freeman and Schache backing up in the ruck a bit. Only seen Schache ruck up forward though.
-Bell playing almost exclusively inside the forward 50.
-Hanley has spent a lot of time up forward as well.

Anyway, back to enjoying the day on this hill. Very nice afternoon
I hear ya, but lets not forget we are prepping for round 1 this year and not NAB. So if we are similar to last year at this stage of the season I have hope.....

Mayes has his knee iced and is limping, Schache has his ankle iced and is also limping.

Not sure when either of them did their injuries but didn't see much of them in the second half. Hopefully not serious.

Mayes has his knee iced and is limping, Schache has his ankle iced and is also limping.

Not sure when either of them did their injuries but didn't see much of them in the second half. Hopefully not serious.
Quite common to see blokes iced up after a game I guess. Hope it's just precautionary.

For those at the game, how did you rate our game style? Was there an evident game plan?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back