2016 Pre-Season (All news, press conferences, training reports, Photos)

Remove this Banner Ad

Expected a bit more than from Mike Whiting for this. I know it's just an intra club game, and I don't expect play by play, but it would have been nice if he provided a bit more detail than what he has so far.
Fair go! Probables v possibles doesn't exactly endear itself to an insightful hit-out

Wouldnt compare him to Nick no. Schache has a good tank and can lead up to the wings, but he is just smart and times his leads well. Gets a meter in front of his defender.

Thought Hipwood played really well, worked hard and showed a bit up forward. Mathieson was having an impact even after the teams were evened out. He knows where to be and how to get it. At least 5 free fors and would have had 20+ touches. Looks at home out there, will play plenty of games.

Bastinac was good, he will add heaps to our midfield, Bell slopy with the ball but knows how to find space across HF. He will add a lot paired up with bundy and green up forward. Mayes was classy, looked more comfortable and like his old self. Whilst not super damaging, he was just classy with what he did.

I only got to see the first half, then back to the farm for me. Yes very much the expected round 1 team very the rest. Martin, Rockliff, Rich, Hanley, Zorko, Mitch yobbo, Bantnic, Bell, Christensen, Paparone, Lester, Harris andrews, Freemen, Schache and considering those that didn't play that might be close. The game went that way as well as you would expect. There were some goals with guys just strolling through as they had outrun the whites.

Without a blow for blow I'll just add some interesting points.
Mathieson and Rocky had a running battle, the kid was pushing and shoving him and at one stage the play had gone on and they were still pushing and shoving.
Zorko played more off the ford flank
A midfielder changed into the forward line, first it was Hanley and Lester changing and latter Rocky rested there.
Freeman was good and was the nominated help out in the ruck
Archie smith can jump, but at what? he hums late, jumps early, jumps sideways and every other way than at the ball. Martin just had to swat him away most times.
Jansen shows glimpses in the midfield
Although it was very windy and quite hot they seemed to run well, the poor old whites were run ragged, the switch was fast out of defence and the player coming forward had options to pick out and it would have looked good at times IF THEIR SKILLS IMPROVED.
The whites backline players got a real work out and two top up players were impressing, 57 and 58 who ever they are, tall kids but not that big.
Rich played through the midfield and I thought he was goo early and had time to line up some nice passes given the poor old white guys by half time were 5 meters behind.

Hipwood gets into great positions in a contest I thought, and even when he is out positioned he still manages to go up and create a contest. Saw about 5 or 6 times when he would go up and almost take a great contested mark but spill it on the way down. He is going to be a weapon if he can add 15 kg to his frame. It was a tough day and to walk away with at least 3 goals is a good result, considering he missed about 3 fairly easy shots.

Bell is going to be a threat in the forward 50. He just out works his opponent up the ground and pushes forward so well to create the +1. Disposals are shocking though but still kicked a few goals. Note though he screwed up an absolute sitter when he fumbled in the goal square but it was under no pressure and Lester picked the scraps up and converted.

Bastinac is easily best 22. First half was sublime and so classy and was probably BOG in the first half. Changed teams at half time and still got a lot of it but wasn't as damaging. Was playing in the defensive half in the second half a bit more as well which might be the reason. Runs very well and I suspect Beams especially will welcome his inclusion.

Bundy I thought was arguable BOG over the whole game. So classy and elusive and his disposals were very good considering the conditions. In for a huge year and IMO has to play midfield minutes, just seems like the closest thing we have to an elite inside/outside midfielder. Was pinged a few times for holding the ball though trying to play for free kicks, but the umpiring wasn't the best I thought.

Mathieson is ready for round 1. He just constantly gets into the right positions time and time again. Wins the footy (and free kicks for that matter), has a bit of speed to him which was a surprise, but honestly didn't look at all to be struggling with the running. Started slowly but worked into the game well. Disposals I thought were good, and a few times he pin pointed a target 30-40m up the ground between a few opposition players. Just got to love this kid reminds me a bit of Rocky with a bit of Robbo thrown in.

Schache was quite but you can see why he is rated. Leading patterns is AFL level already and he manages to get into a 2m free space a lot. Was always a hard day for precision kicking inside forward 50 though so a few times the kicks coming in were rubbish. Spent quite a bit of time on the bench so could be struggling a bit with the work load or maybe we are managing him. It was a very windy day and he did miss a few goals but geez they were extremely hard shots and each one was very close for the 6 points.

Hanley got a lot of the ball and half the time he used it very well. The other half I thought were very poor. A lot of kicks and handballs landed a few metres away from the intended target which was a surprise for me. Hopefully it was just an off say in that regard. Seems to be very hard to tackle, extremely strong through the hips and this allows him to dish of handballs to the running players while getting tackled. Would probably be in the top 5 players at the end of the day but still has a bit to work on to get back to his prime.

Gonna go eat now before dinner gets cold. Just ask any questions and I'll try to answer.

Hipwood gets into great positions in a contest I thought, and even when he is out positioned he still manages to go up and create a contest. Saw about 5 or 6 times when he would go up and almost take a great contested mark but spill it on the way down. He is going to be a weapon if he can add 15 kg to his frame. It was a tough day and to walk away with at least 3 goals is a good result, considering he missed about 3 fairly easy shots.

Bell is going to be a threat in the forward 50. He just out works his opponent up the ground and pushes forward so well to create the +1. Disposals are shocking though but still kicked a few goals. Note though he screwed up an absolute sitter when he fumbled in the goal square but it was under no pressure and Lester picked the scraps up and converted.

Bastinac is easily best 22. First half was sublime and so classy and was probably BOG in the first half. Changed teams at half time and still got a lot of it but wasn't as damaging. Was playing in the defensive half in the second half a bit more as well which might be the reason. Runs very well and I suspect Beams especially will welcome his inclusion.

Bundy I thought was arguable BOG over the whole game. So classy and elusive and his disposals were very good considering the conditions. In for a huge year and IMO has to play midfield minutes, just seems like the closest thing we have to an elite inside/outside midfielder. Was pinged a few times for holding the ball though trying to play for free kicks, but the umpiring wasn't the best I thought.

Mathieson is ready for round 1. He just constantly gets into the right positions time and time again. Wins the footy (and free kicks for that matter), has a bit of speed to him which was a surprise, but honestly didn't look at all to be struggling with the running. Started slowly but worked into the game well. Disposals I thought were good, and a few times he pin pointed a target 30-40m up the ground between a few opposition players. Just got to love this kid reminds me a bit of Rocky with a bit of Robbo thrown in.

Schache was quite but you can see why he is rated. Leading patterns is AFL level already and he manages to get into a 2m free space a lot. Was always a hard day for precision kicking inside forward 50 though so a few times the kicks coming in were rubbish. Spent quite a bit of time on the bench so could be struggling a bit with the work load or maybe we are managing him. It was a very windy day and he did miss a few goals but geez they were extremely hard shots and each one was very close for the 6 points.

Hanley got a lot of the ball and half the time he used it very well. The other half I thought were very poor. A lot of kicks and handballs landed a few metres away from the intended target which was a surprise for me. Hopefully it was just an off say in that regard. Seems to be very hard to tackle, extremely strong through the hips and this allows him to dish of handballs to the running players while getting tackled. Would probably be in the top 5 players at the end of the day but still has a bit to work on to get back to his prime.

Gonna go eat now before dinner gets cold. Just ask any questions and I'll try to answer.

Awesome write up.

What about Jansen and Keays? Haven't heard anyone mention them too much

What's your thoughts on Jansen? A chance for Round 1, or has he slipped behind the likes of Lester and Mathieson? Normally the strength of his game is his tackling - did he lay a few today?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rocky was uncharacteristically quiet today. Didn't even notice him in the first half and the whole last quarter he was playing out of the forward square and told everyone else to push out so essentially he was playing a traditional FF role. Wasn't sold on him playing that role and I hope it was just to give someone else a run through the midfield. I think it would work if the ball comes in fast but today it was fairly slow so opposition had time to drop back the zone.

Yeah as others have said the skill level today was fairly poor. Seemed that every second kick missed it target and while it was fairly stiff breeze I would have thought we would do better. Still a long way to go to match it with the top 8 teams but it was my first training session I've been to in a few years so it could be just a one off. Most of the disposal quality of the players just kinda blurred for me as it was a fairly poor team effort barring a few players so I couldn't really tell you how well each player went in that regard.

Awesome write up.

Honestly didn't notice much from Jansen but others have said he played well in the first half so maybe I missed him. He had a few touches in the defensive 50 in the last but going from what I saw he won't be playing round 1. serial_thrilla I would easily take Mathieson and Lester for that matter ahead of Jansen going from what I saw today.

Keays I did notice but he seemed to rack up a few uncontested possessions but didn't really do much with them. Plays a bit like Rocky did in his early days getting 20 or so touches but not really influencing the game. Saw him lay a few good tackles though but still needs to work on his inside game and decision making with ball in hand although others may disagree.

Lester played well and seemed to cover the ground a lot better than he did a few years back. Took a few great marks as well and kicked at least 2 or 3 goals. Wasn't just playing an inside role either but pushed on the outside and even played FF at one time. For someone who was nicknamed Humphrey he was the total oppsoite to what I imagined. Was one of the loudest out there. Also he was in the best 22 team as well which was interesting so maybe Leppa is giving him first crack over Jansen and Mathieson.

Martin I thought struggled in the ruck contest but ripped Archie apart around the ground. To elevate himself to the best ruck in the comp I think he needs to work on his contested marking which I thought was poor. So yeah, usual Stef today.

How did Reuben go?
Thought he struggled a bit and probably only had a handful of touches. Could be carrying an injury as at half time IIRC he came out from the sheds and done a few squatting exercises with a trainer. Not sure what that was about but maybe he is feeling a bit tight in the quads.?

What's your thoughts on Jansen? A chance for Round 1, or has he slipped behind the likes of Lester and Mathieson? Normally the strength of his game is his tackling - did he lay a few today?
Def playing round 1.Will have his back to our goal in the centre square set up and then run forward when get possession.

Rocky was uncharacteristically quiet today. Didn't even notice him in the first half and the whole last quarter he was playing out of the forward square and told everyone else to push out so essentially he was playing a traditional FF role. Wasn't sold on him playing that role and I hope it was just to give someone else a run through the midfield. I think it would work if the ball comes in fast but today it was fairly slow so opposition had time to drop back the zone.

Yeah as others have said the skill level today was fairly poor. Seemed that every second kick missed it target and while it was fairly stiff breeze I would have thought we would do better. Still a long way to go to match it with the top 8 teams but it was my first training session I've been to in a few years so it could be just a one off. Most of the disposal quality of the players just kinda blurred for me as it was a fairly poor team effort barring a few players so I couldn't really tell you how well each player went in that regard.

Honestly didn't notice much from Jansen but others have said he played well in the first half so maybe I missed him. He had a few touches in the defensive 50 in the last but going from what I saw he won't be playing round 1. serial_thrilla I would easily take Mathieson and Lester for that matter ahead of Jansen going from what I saw today.

Keays I did notice but he seemed to rack up a few uncontested possessions but didn't really do much with them. Plays a bit like Rocky did in his early days getting 20 or so touches but not really influencing the game. Saw him lay a few good tackles though but still needs to work on his inside game and decision making with ball in hand although others may disagree.

Lester played well and seemed to cover the ground a lot better than he did a few years back. Took a few great marks as well and kicked at least 2 or 3 goals. Wasn't just playing an inside role either but pushed on the outside and even played FF at one time. For someone who was nicknamed Humphrey he was the total oppsoite to what I imagined. Was one of the loudest out there. Also he was in the best 22 team as well which was interesting so maybe Leppa is giving him first crack over Jansen and Mathieson.

Martin I thought struggled in the ruck contest but ripped Archie apart around the ground. To elevate himself to the best ruck in the comp I think he needs to work on his contested marking which I thought was poor. So yeah, usual Stef today.

Thought he struggled a bit and probably only had a handful of touches. Could be carrying an injury as at half time IIRC he came out from the sheds and done a few squatting exercises with a trainer. Not sure what that was about but maybe he is feeling a bit tight in the quads.?
Thanks mate.

Also haven't heard anything about Papparone dod he play?

As much as people write him off (myself included at times) I reckon you can put Lester's name in for R1.
Me too for his relative experience,bulk and ability to find the goals.Apart from that he may actually have some improvement to reach.

As much as people write him off (myself included at times) I reckon you can put Lester's name in for R1.

Sometime a year or so ago, Leppitsch singled out Lester for praise. He has his frustrating side, but there are a few things he does particularly well. I reckon he'll float in and out of the side until we find a really complete big-bodied mid to force him out. By the sounds of things, Mathieson or Jansen could be that within a year or two, but I also expect he'll be in there round 1.

Spent the first half over on the far hill, before embracing the shade, great day for it.

Andrews' voice was prominent in his time on the field, was pleasing to hear him directing traffic whenever Sauce was busy or lost.

Freeman was everywhere early, worked well with Schache, they didn't seem to get in the way of each other too often. Couple those two with the smarts of Hipwood (his Footy IQ was on show today, plenty to like about him), and it is difficult not to get carried away looking forward.

Walker worked hard, he will be a packhorse for us this year and seems to enjoy the hard yakka. Doesn't mind a good run and jump at the ball.

Rich played in 2nd gear and looked a class above, wasn't running to be the first receiver from a mark, has started to learn that he can run wider and be useful.

Bastinac impressed me with his kicking, deceivingly lengthy hoof on him too. Will be integral to any success we have this year.

Mathieson has the makings of a crowd favourite. Had running battles with Rocky and Mitch Robbo, didn't shy away and cracked in regularly all game.

I thought Jansen was handy. Tackled well, didn't miss the grunt work in tight, but also managed to find space outside at times. May not start in Round 1, but will knock on the door as the season progresses.

Bell was frantic all day, I just feel he needs to compose himself at times to tidy up his disposal. Played the game at full tilt, and is a physical beast. Let himself down by rushing too much with the ball.

Paine defended well in the brief glimpses I saw of him in the 2nd half, I didn't really look for him early and was caught up with mates in the 2nd half, so wasn't as keenly observing the game.

Rocky, Zorko, Bundy and Hanley worked hard and had their ups and downs, good solid hit out from those prime movers.

N Robbo worked hard. He, Jansen and Mathieson worked well in the whites midfield in the first half, competing well in the clearances. Things just fell apart on the outside for them.

Keays was quiet, William took the game on in the 2nd half and showed some dash (fresh legs helped).

Lester was probably Best On in my opinion. Worked well inside and out amd worked hard both ways, pleasing outing for him.

Bring on next week and a competitive outing!

Thanks mate.

Also haven't heard anything about Papparone dod he play?
Yeah he played. Left off where he did last season playing loose in defence and pushing forward on the switch. Played quiet well I thought but still needs to improve his contested skills.

Did McStay even play today?
Didn't play but was talking with a few fans. I hope he isn't injured.

Awesome write up.

I though Jansen was ok, on the White side being flogged he created some contest in the middle as the big bodied midfielder but I fear a bit like at Geelong he is behind the best 22. Keys runs hard and really talks and yells directions. Probably still a bit slight at this stage, a good year on the weights and he will be good.

Tried hard what my summary, certainly behind Lester. He is a big guy and tough and seems a bit of a leader. Hard to tell today with the other team being so dominate but for me he did show out early.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back