West Coast Robbed of Flag: Holding the man in the 2005 grand final

Remove this Banner Ad

frenchfri12

Premiership Player
Suspended
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
When Leo Barry took the mark Sampi was being held, he should of been paid a free kick.
Don't belive me? Look:

UPDATE: VIDEO

161377-leo-barry.jpg
mb_barry_narrowweb__300x410,0.jpg

820442-leo-barry.jpg

The Sydney player has a handful of Sampi's jumper. That's holding the man any day of the week.

Last edited:

Sampi shot on goal after the siren to win the Grand Final lmao

Had a shot after the siren in a game vs the Dogs, to draw the game, he kicked truly. I would back him.

Even so, it's so hard to notice and making that call in the last few seconds of a tight GF would've taken a lot of guts. Got over it 11 years ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have been telling people for years that was a deplorable decision and WCE were robbed of that flag.

Syd supporters must know this to be true, deep down in the pits of their stomachs.

Vindicated.

I have been telling people for years that was a deplorable decision and WCE were robbed of that flag.

Syd supporters must know this to be true, deep down in the pits of their stomachs.

Vindicated.

Nah, in real time it was difficult to pick. I don't begrudge the umpiring in that game, thought it was fair.

What irked me was Barry Hall successfully arguing that the hit on Goose Maguire was 'in play'. Without Barry Hall for the 2005 GF I think we would've won.

As it is, karma bit him on the arse the following year, and karma again hit him almost as hard as he hit Brent Staker a couple of years later.

Nah, in real time it was difficult to pick. I don't begrudge the umpiring in that game, thought it was fair.

What irked me was Barry Hall successfully arguing that the hit on Goose Maguire was 'in play'. Without Barry Hall for the 2005 GF I think we would've won.

As it is, karma bit him on the arse the following year, and karma again hit him almost as hard as he hit Brent Staker a couple of years later.
Leo Barry's mark was spectacular and brave. Not taking anything away from the player there. And fair enough hindsight is 20/20, but upon closer inspection, the Sampi free was there, and has been a bone of contention ever since.

Agree on your second point; Barry Hall should never have escaped suspension.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back