Recruiting EFC Trade/Draft Talk II with F/A rules in OP - Billings for a fourth rounder the latest rumour

What do we do with the #1 pick?

• Use it

Votes: 73 47.4%
  • Trade it for multiple top 10 picks

Votes: 65 42.2%
  • Trade it for players

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Trade it for players and first round picks

Votes: 13 8.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Along with the illustrious careers of Rhys Palmer, Danyle Pearce and Michael Wilson. Pick 2 is a big risk.

I wouldn't compare any of their first/second year's with O'Meara.
I'd be amped to land him, even with pick 2.

If he's out of contract and we finish last as an FU for all the BS we've copped we just take him in the PSD.

So, do what we have been begging Carlton not to do? Clubs aren't pricks to other clubs at the trade table. They have relationships they need to maintain.

GC rejected hooker, Gumbleton and pick 19 for Caddy...told the rest of the football world we were hard to deal with...

The following few years showed that they were hard to deal with, however they have made real ground this year letting go of Bennell and Smith cheaply. The Dixon deal will depend on how his body holds up, but even it shows that they are far more realistic these days.

Meanwhile 'the hardest club to deal with' just added their difficult to trade with former head coach to its coaching panel. :rainbow:

The following few years showed that they were hard to deal with, however they have made real ground this year letting go of Bennell and Smith cheaply. The Dixon deal will depend on how his body holds up, but even it shows that they are far more realistic these days.

Meanwhile 'the hardest club to deal with' just added their difficult to trade with former head coach to its coaching panel. :rainbow:
Realistically though with Bennell they'd essentially already kicked him out of the club so were never really going to get anywhere close to his real trade value (based on on-field performance and potential, etc. not including the off-field problems), Smith was out of contract and wanted out, and Dixon was desperate to get out and wanted too much $$$. So I'm not sure if they've actually gotten any better to trade with at all, they just had their hand forced repeatedly in last years trade period.

There's all this talk about getting pick 2 as well if we finish last by losing hooker. Well there's a chance we'd be eligible for the afl to issue a priority pick without losing hooker that could land this pick anyway. As we won less than 6 games last year if we have two bad seasons in a row there's no reason the club should not apply for a priority pick.

There's no chance we'd get a priority pick.

File it under 'not a good lookth'.

I reckon there is a chance. The AFL know they stuffed EFC and its players around for 4 years without admitting it publicly. There is reason within the rules to justify it and it's a way for the afl to get some disenchanted bombers fans back onside. The crowds will drop this year for sure.

There's enough consternation about us getting number one in the event of finishing last as it is.

A priority pick as well? It's not happening.

I'd expect both Essendon and Carlton to apply for priority picks assuming bottom rung finishes for both. Carlton and Brisbane applied last year - if Essendon and Carlton both finish bottom 2 without winning more than 5 games this is a much better submission than the previous year. Both clubs could potentially share the first 4-5 picks depending on free agency.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think everyone has interesting points here, but I think theres a chance both ways. As far as the list concessions went I think the AFL was pretty fair about it and they didn't bow to pressure from the low-flying zealots. So I think the same would apply here...

If all of our suspended players voided their contracts and left, there might be a priority pick in the works because there isn't any compensation for DFAs (which is what they will be if they voided their contracts). That stuff is decided after the trade and free agency periods, right?

If they all come back, or if they choose to leave the club through trades or as RFAs, then the AFL might just be like 'this year was an anomaly for you but you don't need a priority pick because you have all these great players coming back/all these picks already so you don't really need it'...

There's also one important difference Essendon and Carlton and I'm not referring to the fact that they're the second spawning of the devil incarnate after Hawthorn while we're more pure than driven snow.

There's a large elephant in the room here and there is no way the AFL will just ignore the 'optics' of it.

Anyway, we probably should take this to the trade/draft thread.

A priority pick :D

Up to 12 first rate players coming back the next game after our last one and some people think we could get a pp. Wow.

The pp is a now last resort option to help structurally dysfunctional clubs. We are more. chance of getting a fully catered high tea put on by kochie and served by the Wilson girls than we are of getting a pp

Tell me again how essendon doesn't fit that description?
Because the last time they didn't have wada hanging over their head they were killing it onfield, and would have qualified for finals in 2013 despite the saga.

Are you trying to tell me that you think that efc will be a basket case in 2017, and that even though pretty much everyone who was in charge 2012-2015 is gone that the club remain structurally dysfunctional?? That we're worse than Melbourne and Carlton, both of whom were denied a pp?

Because the last time they didn't have wada hanging over their head they were killing it onfield, and would have qualified for finals in 2013 despite the saga.

Are you trying to tell me that you think that efc will be a basket case in 2017, and that even though pretty much everyone who was in charge 2012-2015 is gone that the club remain structurally dysfunctional?? That we're worse than Melbourne and Carlton, both of whom were denied a pp?

Wont be a basket case off the field but on it we will be if none of the 12 players return.

Last edited:

They also one of the best ruck divisions in the comp, forwards capable of kicking goals and a brownlow medallist in peak form. Remove Carlisle from the mix and then hypothesize that we lose Hooker too and I'd say basket case is pretty close to the mark.

The fact Melbourne already had so many early picks to work with on their list goes against their argument. We have been devoid of picks, I don't think we should kid ourselves that the situation is anything other than dire.

GC rejected hooker, Gumbleton and pick 19 for Caddy...told the rest of the football world we were hard to deal with...

To be fair, Hooker wasn't the player he is now back then (if he was Essendon wouldnt be packaging him up to offload him for Caddy in the first place), Gumbleton never got on the park in the years since so GC were vindicated in not trusting his body, and pick 19 is just an OK pick.

I'd expect both Essendon and Carlton to apply for priority picks assuming bottom rung finishes for both. Carlton and Brisbane applied last year - if Essendon and Carlton both finish bottom 2 without winning more than 5 games this is a much better submission than the previous year. Both clubs could potentially share the first 4-5 picks depending on free agency.

Yes but if Essendon and Carlton were to finish bottom 2 this year, for us it would be because we are just that bad.
FWIW i don't expect to get one next year even if we did finish 17th - 18th.

For Essendon, its a false result that only happened because 12 of your best players couldn't play...so from 2017 onwards you get them back and the list would be in much better shape...

Only way i can see AFL giving Essendon a PP is IF a bunch of the banned players leave, e.g. Hooker and Colyer. Then they might.

They also one of the best ruck divisions in the comp, forwards capable of kicking goals and a brownlow medallist in peak form. Remove Carlisle from the mix and then hypothesize that we lose Hooker too and I'd say basket case is pretty close to the mark.

The fact Melbourne already had so many early picks to work with on their list goes against their argument. We have been devoid of picks, I don't think we should kid ourselves that the situation is anything other than dire.
dire?

Wow. We are too far apart then to really have a meaningful discussion then. Complete Chicken Little stuff

This is my last word on the matter because frankly I think it's too silly to even bother discussing.

• The PP has clearly been designated by the AFL to help clubs as an absolute last resort. EFC's list is nowhere near bad enough to require that.
  • The PP is clearly only in play for clubs who have sustained periods of abject failure, not 1-2 years. EFC doesn't not meet that criterion.
  • The PP has been shown to be completely off the table for clubs who are in a situation of their own making. It is not ever going to reward clubs for making terrible decision. EFC is squarely in that category
  • The PP is never going to be awarded by the AFL to EFC, rightly or wrongly, because it would be a PR nightmare and would face a hostile reaction from both opposition clubs and the general populace
  • There is not one rational argument that can be made as to why EFC should or would be awarded a PP. Not one. And it won't happen endy story

dire?

Wow. We are too far apart then to really have a meaningful discussion then. Complete Chicken Little stuff

This is my last word on the matter because frankly I think it's too silly to even bother discussing.

• The PP has clearly been designated by the AFL to help clubs as an absolute last resort. EFC's list is nowhere near bad enough to require that.
  • The PP is clearly only in play for clubs who have sustained periods of abject failure, not 1-2 years. EFC doesn't not meet that criterion.
  • The PP has been shown to be completely off the table for clubs who are in a situation of their own making. It is not ever going to reward clubs for making terrible decision. EFC is squarely in that category
  • The PP is never going to be awarded by the AFL to EFC, rightly or wrongly, because it would be a PR nightmare and would face a hostile reaction from both opposition clubs and the general populace
  • There is not one rational argument that can be made as to why EFC should or would be awarded a PP. Not one. And it won't happen endy story
The bolded is by far the strongest factor.

Even if our list was genuine ratshit, the AFL are already facing a large enough clamour of "but dey will profit from being cheatz" with the possibility of us getting pick one at the end of this year if we finish 18th. I disagree with that fundamentally, but the point is, there is a key difference between us getting pick one in that situation (which has always been the case when a side has finished last, other than when Carlton had theirs removed in 2002-03 because of the salary cap sanctions and when GC and GWS were being brought in) and the AFL going above and beyond by giving us an additional pick on top of what the normal system for allocating picks based on finishing position would dictate.

The AFL won't want to see us down in the doldrums for years; however, they will also not want to be seen to be giving us an overt leg up above and beyond what they would do for any other side that finishes bottom. The PR backlash would be too big.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back