Game Day Family day thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Mummy didnt play for GWS when we beat them at AO and Sandi played in Perth when we lost but not for the Peel Thunder side when we won.

Sorry but all this talk of ruckmen is making me sleepy: ;)

Great to see the lads back in action once again!

In terms of game style I thought it was a slower more calculated game for much of it, especially in the first half. Lots of playing down the wings, switching of play and possession football. It opened up a bit more in the second half which had some more run and carry, but overall I didnt think there was a whole lot of direct corridor football that I saw.

Skill level seemed ok. A bit above the internals of the last couple of years. The players were throwing themselves in, some real strong tackles and a fair bit of niggle as well. I liked the way Howard and Butcher worked in tandem up forward for the black team. Westhoff played well as a lone hand across half forward for the teal team, with Reynolds and Hewett not really seeing much of the ball. The more experienced midfield of the black team led the way. Boak & AhChee were great, Hammer and Ebert racked it up and Paul Stewart did as he wanted across the middle and half back.

Some player reviews:

Boak - In the top 2 players on the park I thought. Had a great first half and just looked in great shape. Quick, strong, won plenty of the ball.

Neade - Rarely sighted. Just didnt seem to get involved in the play much.

Butcher - Enigmatic as always. Kicked an almost soccer-esque volley across his body for a goal in the first quarter. Took 2 or 3 really strong grabs but frustrated by dropping 3 marks where he had gotten in front position and some space on his opponent. Run up for goal looked different, a bit of a longer run up but the ball drop was still all over the shop. Still, a decent performance.

O'Shea - Plenty of the ball across half back but burned it consistently. Looks a bit bigger in the upper body.

Amon - Liked his game. Seemed busy and just consistently showed up every couple of minutes with a nice bit of play. Played further up the ground than we have seen at AFL level so far.

Clurey - Thought he was great. Is an absolute rock physically.

Toumpas - Thought he had a poor first half. Didnt seem to get a lot of the ball playing up on a wing and across half forward. thought he had a really good 3rd quarter where he had a hand in a couple of goals and had some neat moments with the ball. Would have liked to have seen some run with the ball, but I guess outside of Polec we didn't really see anyone do that at all. Seemed to be blowing hard late in quarters.

Wingard - Kicked 3, could have ended with 6 or 7. Dominant.

Pittard - Must have had 40 disposals across half back. Just seemed to be everywhere. Minimal errors.

Howard - Well he was the talking point of the day. I guess Shaw had a really good internal in 2014 and Wagner tore s**t up last year with his pace and goal sense, so maybe its a touch hard to get too excited about a 0-gamer having a day out in the internal, but he really was that good. Has improved out of sight in terms of his positioning, second and third efforts, repeat leading. Looks slow off the mark but he has some nip about him when he gets moving, has real good pace at full tilt. A couple of really strong grabs in packs. Kicked 3 goals. Didnt see him do a whole lot of ruck work but his forward movement and his ability to demand the ball was really promising.

Byrne-Jones - Thought he played a really nice little game. Didnt do a whole lot wrong outside of a bung handball in the 2nd quarter. Strong across half back and used the ball well. Physically he now looks ready to play AFL if he needs to. A lot stronger in the upper body and through the core.

Palmer - A bit wasteful in front of goal but thought his lead up work was good at times. Probably needed to find some space at times but was good defensively up forward.

Young - I think I saw him have 3 kicks, 2 went on the full.

AhChee - The other talking point. Is an absolute beast of a man physically. We talk about how strong Ollie is but this guy looks like he could go toe to toe in the middle with any midfielder in the league. He did it all. He kicked a couple of goals, he took an absolute screamer of a mark, his inside work was first class and he found plenty on the outside as well. I've been 50-50 on where he fits early in the year but I think if he's playing like this then its a case of just who is going to knock him out of the side? Adds a whole different dynamic to the midfield group.

Broadbent - Was the Pittard of the teal team. Must have had 100 kicks.

Gray - The best player for teal. Had his usual zip.

Wines - Not allowed a lot of space and was getting a bit narky at times.

Polec - For a guy that hasn't played a lot of footy in the last 12 months, I thought he was great. Yes he burned the ball a few times but he was pretty well the only teal player creating any run and carry. Demanded the ball across half back and was getting it forward with his run and lots of follow up efforts as well. Looked as good as we could have hoped.

Bonner - Had kick in duty. Probably a bit of a tough day for him for his first showing. Got caught HTB a couple of times and a couple of his kicks were expertly marked by the opposition further up the field. Liked how he was pushing up the field and thought his positioning was really good. Looks shorter than I expected on the field.

Colquhoun - A heap of the ball but his efficiency would have been down. Seemed to be playing more of a pure midfield role as opposed to across half back. Looked quicker than last year. I think we'll see a fair bit of Hoon this year.

Johnson - Kicked a couple of goals and threw himself in which was pleasing to see.

Snelling - Not a lot of the ball but had a few moments in the second half which looked alright. Want to see more.

S Gray - Seemed to be going head to head against Boak for much of the game. Thought he looked good as the 2nd disposal out of a pack but maybe his kicking was a bit rushed.

Thanks a heap for the player reviews from the Port members/supporters who couldn't attend today. Very much appreciated.

Family Day is one of my favourite club events every year, signals the end of the offseason and am finally able to hang out and chat with footy friends at the footy again! Its been a long summer! The irony of family day today was that it was my father's birthday and instead of doing the family thing I went to the footy... Some family member I am!

Tend to agree with a few posts here, it was a scrappy looking game, but it was an internal trial, so the best can hardly be expected of the standard. Also, I think that both teams understanding exactly what the other is trying to do plays a role in some of the congestion and turnovers, when you train with the same structures and an understanding of team goals it probably makes it a bit easier to defend it.

Loved Dougal Howard's game, the boy looks like he will become a player. The heartening thing for me was that if something was to happen to Lobbe and he was out then I have a bit more confidence that Howard would be able to step in and make a contest. Still very raw, and in no way would I expect him to do a better job this season than any other stop gap ruckman, but he clearly showed a bit tonight.

Lobbe's game was average, particularly early, however I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt/benefit of it being the first pre-season hitout. I would hope that his form improves when the season kicks off, and I am sure that it will, but as long as he is making a contest we won't be in as much trouble as some will like to believe. We've seen him get pantsed by the likes of Jacobs in the past, so by no means am I content with him 'just making a contest' but as long as his form isn't 2015 bad it should be alright, I have faith.

Seeing Polec run around for 3 quarters was great, it is great that he is back, the couple of mistakes aside he was another positive story for mine. Ah Chee was brilliant, absolutely has turned around how I thought about him 3 years ago watching him at the Maggies, has gone from a laconic Magpie player to a jet in the AFL side. Boaky, Ebo and Hammer were good again, and Wingard as always showed his class.

Good first hit out, and a good night out at the club. Roll on Easter!

Thought AhChee, Wingard, Boak, Pittard were my 1234. Strange seeing another player in 18. Anyone else see Ollie throwing Jack H around?, he's a beast.
Tom Clurey, this is your time to stand out

Last edited:
AhChee is the one that gives me and probably most of us the most excitement coming from his backend of 2015 into 2016. In my eyes if his pre season has been good enough he just has to play round 1, everyone knew his raw talent but reading the reviews from tonight about his performance and that insanely good hanger which I know isn't what gives you a game surely he's in the round 1 midfield.

He's a scary talent and one of the most genuinely exciting, talented footballers on our list. To unleash him and Ollie on the ball at some point would be frightening for opposition sides. I feel at times having those 2 together on the ball when Lobbe isn't rucking may nullify any advantage the opposition will have in the ruck as their sheer size on the ball will almost bully anyone.

Ah chee could very well be a 25+ damaging touches and 2 goals player.

Sky is the limit at this point in time, incredible turnaround. He was one of my first on the list for delisting in 2014, the club backed him with another year and I was puzzled. Now we can all see why, he must have been given an ultimatum. Something changed within him mentally after 2014.

Edit: I was chatting to mrspeaker about him and described him as a blend of both burgoynes, leaning more towards Shaun circa inside midfielder days, with the added ability to take an insanely good hanger.

Last edited:
A quick scroll through her Facebook profile - in which she shares about 500 things in a day, so, like, no chance this person would see any advertising of the family day by Port - and you can see that she has shared some meme about "responsibility and blame".

Oh, Gran.

View attachment 215210
Something tells me the club could have issued this person with a summons and they'd have claimed to be in the dark about yesterday's Famapalooza.

This persons rant makes me laugh.

I live in Perth, I knew a while ago this was on, but maybe I shouldn't boast that I knew about the family day, Perth is just a small area next to Port Adelaide....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great to see the lads back in action once again!

In terms of game style I thought it was a slower more calculated game for much of it, especially in the first half. Lots of playing down the wings, switching of play and possession football. It opened up a bit more in the second half which had some more run and carry, but overall I didnt think there was a whole lot of direct corridor football that I saw.

Skill level seemed ok. A bit above the internals of the last couple of years. The players were throwing themselves in, some real strong tackles and a fair bit of niggle as well. I liked the way Howard and Butcher worked in tandem up forward for the black team. Westhoff played well as a lone hand across half forward for the teal team, with Reynolds and Hewett not really seeing much of the ball. The more experienced midfield of the black team led the way. Boak & AhChee were great, Hammer and Ebert racked it up and Paul Stewart did as he wanted across the middle and half back.

Some player reviews:

Boak - In the top 2 players on the park I thought. Had a great first half and just looked in great shape. Quick, strong, won plenty of the ball.

Neade - Rarely sighted. Just didnt seem to get involved in the play much.

Butcher - Enigmatic as always. Kicked an almost soccer-esque volley across his body for a goal in the first quarter. Took 2 or 3 really strong grabs but frustrated by dropping 3 marks where he had gotten in front position and some space on his opponent. Run up for goal looked different, a bit of a longer run up but the ball drop was still all over the shop. Still, a decent performance.

O'Shea - Plenty of the ball across half back but burned it consistently. Looks a bit bigger in the upper body.

Amon - Liked his game. Seemed busy and just consistently showed up every couple of minutes with a nice bit of play. Played further up the ground than we have seen at AFL level so far.

Clurey - Thought he was great. Is an absolute rock physically.

Toumpas - Thought he had a poor first half. Didnt seem to get a lot of the ball playing up on a wing and across half forward. thought he had a really good 3rd quarter where he had a hand in a couple of goals and had some neat moments with the ball. Would have liked to have seen some run with the ball, but I guess outside of Polec we didn't really see anyone do that at all. Seemed to be blowing hard late in quarters.

Wingard - Kicked 3, could have ended with 6 or 7. Dominant.

Pittard - Must have had 40 disposals across half back. Just seemed to be everywhere. Minimal errors.

Howard - Well he was the talking point of the day. I guess Shaw had a really good internal in 2014 and Wagner tore s**t up last year with his pace and goal sense, so maybe its a touch hard to get too excited about a 0-gamer having a day out in the internal, but he really was that good. Has improved out of sight in terms of his positioning, second and third efforts, repeat leading. Looks slow off the mark but he has some nip about him when he gets moving, has real good pace at full tilt. A couple of really strong grabs in packs. Kicked 3 goals. Didnt see him do a whole lot of ruck work but his forward movement and his ability to demand the ball was really promising.

Byrne-Jones - Thought he played a really nice little game. Didnt do a whole lot wrong outside of a bung handball in the 2nd quarter. Strong across half back and used the ball well. Physically he now looks ready to play AFL if he needs to. A lot stronger in the upper body and through the core.

Palmer - A bit wasteful in front of goal but thought his lead up work was good at times. Probably needed to find some space at times but was good defensively up forward.

Young - I think I saw him have 3 kicks, 2 went on the full.

AhChee - The other talking point. Is an absolute beast of a man physically. We talk about how strong Ollie is but this guy looks like he could go toe to toe in the middle with any midfielder in the league. He did it all. He kicked a couple of goals, he took an absolute screamer of a mark, his inside work was first class and he found plenty on the outside as well. I've been 50-50 on where he fits early in the year but I think if he's playing like this then its a case of just who is going to knock him out of the side? Adds a whole different dynamic to the midfield group.

Broadbent - Was the Pittard of the teal team. Must have had 100 kicks.

Gray - The best player for teal. Had his usual zip.

Wines - Not allowed a lot of space and was getting a bit narky at times.

Polec - For a guy that hasn't played a lot of footy in the last 12 months, I thought he was great. Yes he burned the ball a few times but he was pretty well the only teal player creating any run and carry. Demanded the ball across half back and was getting it forward with his run and lots of follow up efforts as well. Looked as good as we could have hoped.

Bonner - Had kick in duty. Probably a bit of a tough day for him for his first showing. Got caught HTB a couple of times and a couple of his kicks were expertly marked by the opposition further up the field. Liked how he was pushing up the field and thought his positioning was really good. Looks shorter than I expected on the field.

Colquhoun - A heap of the ball but his efficiency would have been down. Seemed to be playing more of a pure midfield role as opposed to across half back. Looked quicker than last year. I think we'll see a fair bit of Hoon this year.

Johnson - Kicked a couple of goals and threw himself in which was pleasing to see.

Snelling - Not a lot of the ball but had a few moments in the second half which looked alright. Want to see more.

S Gray - Seemed to be going head to head against Boak for much of the game. Thought he looked good as the 2nd disposal out of a pack but maybe his kicking was a bit rushed.
Man its good to have these posts back....

Nothing signals football is back like a macca post game review...

2 points that macca made that standout to me....

-ahchee man being a beast
-Ollie getting narky.....i love it.....hell hath no fury like an Ollie wines scorned

This years family day just didn't feel the same as the past few years. There weren't any real stand outs other than the performances of Howard(Lobbe still cannot tap anything to advantage, Howard's leap beat him), Achee and Polec. Boak Wingard Hammer and Gray also performed well as usual but I didn't see anything that suggested that we have improved or have found any new weapons. I am hoping to be proven wrong in the next few months

2016... Year of the Dougal (sung to the tune of 1990 year of the guru)

Insiders have had big wraps on him for a good 18 months. Let's see it's not a false dawn

This years family day just didn't feel the same as the past few years. There weren't any real stand outs other than the performances of Howard(Lobbe still cannot tap anything to advantage, Howard's leap beat him), Achee and Polec. Boak Wingard Hammer and Gray also performed well as usual but I didn't see anything that suggested that we have improved or have found any new weapons. I am hoping to be proven wrong in the next few months
Our improvements in defence turned the game into a scrap.

This is a very good thing

Ah Chee looked almost nonchalant taking that screamer. He's playing with a lot of confidence. I liked the fact that his first instinct was to play on immediately, not to walk back slowly to savour the moment. It's all about the team not the individual.

I thought the same tbh. I found myself genuinely disinterested at times. We pushed up extremely high from defence and there was incredible numbers around the ball. This may have been deliberate to train for teams that do this. It's exactly what killed us last year, we couldn't get it out of defence as teams congested the area and planted players just outside the 50 to mop up the rainmaker clearing kicks.

Also, playing music during the game was a bad call. Ruined my immersion, man.

Ah chee is something special, come on so well these last 2 years, true credit to the man himself.
We've found something in Dougal

He's grown the hair a bit longer as well. Shade of a young Shaun Burgoyne

Tbh is love to see the club extend his contract by a year or two now before his value goes up and other clubs come knocking

Last edited:
I thought the same tbh. I found myself genuinely disinterested at times. We pushed up extremely high from defence and there was incredible numbers around the ball. This may have been deliberate to train for teams that do this. It's exactly what killed us last year, we couldn't get it out of defence as teams congested the area and planted players just outside the 50 to mop up the rainmaker clearing kicks.

Also, playing music during the game was a bad call. Ruined my immersion, man.

It was like watching Norwood play at times. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back