2016 Non-Crows AFL Discussion - Cont. in Part 2 (link in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of people have seen your wife. A lot have seen her in action. It's just that those not married to her don't care much for her after the shows over as there are lots of prettier girls around that are more fun.

PS - that's an analogy. I'm sure your wife is lovely.

Most people who favor soccer have never seen AFL.

Most people who favor AFL HAVE seen soccer.

Vastly prefer the multi skilled, 360 degree game. Soccer is fine, but it's just water polo on grass. Hard to watch 90 mins of it.

Vastly prefer the multi skilled, 360 degree game. Soccer is fine, but it's just water polo on grass. Hard to watch 90 mins of it.
I love both games but see it differently. Soccer only allows the use of feet and the head, alongside the offside rule makes it more skilful IMO.

lol, good to read such a thorough analysis, it's a rare treat on this board.

I disagree somewhat.

The AFL is the highest level of you can watch. Likewise watching the EPL, La Liga or the Bundesliga is the top of the tree for soccer. I'll happily watch any of the top tier leagues in the world.

Which is why I also ignore the A-League entirely

No, I won't be signing a petition specifically designed to attack what people get paid. You have NO idea who you might affect if you actually get your way and have this petition win. Maybe there are loved ones in dire need of the money supplied by these footballers. But no, let's not think about the fact that these "Well off" individuals might use their money for noble causes. F@#k the noble causes, so what if Grandma loses her house, we demand blood!!!! What a wonderful world we live in.

I disagree somewhat.

The AFL is the highest level of you can watch. Likewise watching the EPL, La Liga or the Bundesliga is the top of the tree for soccer. I'll happily watch any of the top tier leagues in the world.

country footy would die with this sort of attitude.

nothing better than following your local team, even if it's not at the highest level.

deciding you like Man Utd, Barca and Bayern one day is pretty hollow, that will never challenge the AFL, but eventually passionate supporters of their local clubs might.

deciding you like Man Utd, Barca and Bayern one day is pretty hollow, that will never challenge the AFL, but eventually passionate supporters of their local clubs might.

I seriously doubt it.

The AFL is the premier version of its sporting code in the world. If you are a fan of the sport, its most likely that you will follow the AFL. (yes, its true that people can also be SANFL/WAFL/VFL fans too, but the AFL will consume more time/moeny)

It is much easier to be a soccer fan and NOT support any A-League club at all, than it is to be an Aussie Rules football ran and not support the AFL.

No, I won't be signing a petition specifically designed to attack what people get paid. You have NO idea who you might affect if you actually get your way and have this petition win. Maybe there are loved ones in dire need of the money supplied by these footballers. But no, let's not think about the fact that these "Well off" individuals might use their money for noble causes. F@#k the noble causes, so what if Grandma loses her house, we demand blood!!!! What a wonderful world we live in.

Are you drunk?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

country footy would die with this sort of attitude.

nothing better than following your local team, even if it's not at the highest level.

Good point.

I've followed Arsenal for over 30 years, been a member at various times and been to plenty of games back in the day. But that it no way diminishes an enjoyable evening at Coopers watching the Reds, you can't beat being there live. I still love watching my SAAFL div 5 team play - great fun.

I disagree somewhat.

If you're really passionate about the sport, shunning the local competition - letting it stagnate - is a little strange. It's fine to prefer the quality of the EPL, but the A-League will never get to a satisfactory standard if no one is here to support its growth.

Did you hear about the vegan, atheist and crossfitter that walked into the bar?

I'm surprised, because everyone in the bar heard all about it within 2 seconds

No but I do fit one of those groups. \m/

If you're really passionate about the sport, shunning the local competition - letting it stagnate - is a little strange. It's fine to prefer the quality of the EPL, but the A-League will never get to a satisfactory standard if no one is here to support its growth.

it will never get to a satisfactory level anyway because it is a tiny fish in a massive pond. Any players of world class talent will either be scouted from a young age, or be bought soon after making their A-league debut.

it will never get to a satisfactory level anyway because it is a tiny fish in a massive pond. Any players of world class talent will either be scouted from a young age, or be bought soon after making their A-league debut.
There's no reason why you can't support both. Nothing worse than an Aussie EPL snob. Sorry.

There's no reason why you can't support both. Nothing worse than an Aussie EPL snob. Sorry.

So you must support inferior products just because they're local? If I'm going to watch sport where I don't personally know anybody playing, it's going to be sport of the highest level, and the A-League does not fit that description. It's a lot better than it once was, but it's still several rungs below the best of what soccer has to offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back