Training 2015/16 preseason training (discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

I was impressed with the big boys today;

Sam Collins continues to mark strongly in one on one and pack marks.
Uebergang Took a couple of strong marks and Zac Clarke took plenty of marks all over the ground.

Ethan Hughes and Connor Blakely especially, demonstrated great evasive skills in a couple of passages.

It must have been extremely difficult for Dean Magetts today, umpiring a Dockers intra game.
His form continued, he didn't pay Freo any kicks.
Tab the tall Peter bell;)?

Last edited:

Was there a Bennell sighting today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bennell trained with the rehab boys. Ran , kicked and did some evasive work around the cones. First time for a while that Harley has worked with the rehab group. He has been one on one with a trainer doing slow run and walking. Griff,Balic,Langdon in rehab. Hurley appeared very briefly and Johnno and Pearce where no show. Johnno was wandering around in and out of the gym.

I love Dawson, but my boy Collins has him beat!

Thanks everyone for the reports of the match today. Good to hear Neale's not dead like the news is making him out to be.
Allikat Not on your life will Collins beat Dawson to a game. Dawss has 146 games of experience at this level to Sam's nil. You should have seen the situation where Daws was called out by Sheridan and Dawss put the block in for Sherro to take an easy mark. It was in front of the Old Dudes hangout and I thought it was top class. Dawss has not lowered his colors to anyone at PS for forthcoming season. Collins whilst he can play and may line up in the Best 22 at some stage this year doesnt do the defensive block out things to help other players like Zac so Dawss has him covered ha ha :p:p:p:p:D (PS can you please send me the link to the Essendon Court papers that you referred to the other day. Thanks) :):thumbsu:

Last edited:
Bennell trained with the rehab boys. Ran , kicked and did some evasive work around the cones. First time for a while that Harley has worked with the rehab group. He has been one on one with a trainer doing slow run and walking. Griff,Balic,Langdon in rehab. Hurley appeared very briefly and Johnno and Pearce where no show. Johnno was wandering around in and out of the gym.
Did you see Apeness today? I cant recall seeing him today and I am not sure where he was on Wednesday but he may have been at East Freo to beat the heat like they did on Monday? He was probably around at
couldhavebeen's pool doing Laurie Lawrence exercises:).

Found out from Harley B (No 2) that's Balic that he was having a scan on his wrist on Tuesday and that the pin they inserted in his op on his wrist at the end of last season will be there permanently. If he gets the all clear it will be great to see him involved in the main list and to see what he can do.That young man has run more around Freo Oval than Forest Gump did running across America. We might have to reprogram him from running in circles.

@ Allikat Not on your life will Collins beat Dawson to a game. Dawss has 146 games of experience at this level to Sam's nil. You should have seen the situation where Daws was called out by Sheridan and Dawss put the block in for Sherro to take an easy mark. It was in front of the Old Dudes hangout and I thought it was top class. Dawss has not lowered his colors to anyone at PS for forthcoming season. Collins whilst he can play and may line up in the Best 22 at some stage this year doesnt do the defensive block out things to help other players like Zac so Dawss has him covered ha ha :p:p:p:p:D (PS can you please send me the link to the Essendon Court papers that you referred to the other day. Thanks) :):thumbsu:
I don't think Collins will be keeping Dawson out of the side. But I think Collins may keep Silvagni out of the side.
I'll PM you what links I have. Most of the court papers I have saved on USB, not online.

I don't think Collins will be keeping Dawson out of the side. But I think Collins may keep Silvagni out of the side.
I'll PM you what links I have. Most of the court papers I have saved on USB, not online.

I dont mind Collins but Silvagni has been training well since he got out of Rehab and the difference bet:)ween established guys like him and say Dawss and Sam and Matt Ubergang is noticeable and to a greater degree with Tucker and Nyhuis

It will be interesting to see that they do with who plays on the back flanks. Is Mundy really going to play back Is Mora going to play in B22 and will Ibbo be doing his intercept role. He was playing forward the other day and today he was sort of playing further up from his usual spot and I dont think he looks comfortable there.

Of course injury will dictate to some degree during the season which will give Collins an opportunity.:):)

(Thanks re the Essendon Papers);):thumbsu:

Is there room for A Pearce in the backlines or can he go forward? Sounds like we have an embarrassment of riches tall defender -wise, with Dawson and Silvagni fit, Collins sounding a likely type, Johnson, and Mundy rotating through there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you see Apeness today? I cant recall seeing him today and I am not sure where he was on Wednesday but he may have been at East Freo to beat the heat like they did on Monday? He was probably around at
couldhavebeen's pool doing Laurie Lawrence exercises:).

Found out from Harley B (No 2) that's Balic that he was having a scan on his wrist on Tuesday and that the pin they inserted in his op on his wrist at the end of last season will be there permanently. If he gets the all clear it will be great to see him involved in the main list and to see what he can do.That young man has run more around Freo Oval than Forest Gump did running across America. We might have to reprogram him from running in circles.

No Apeness today:(

I was impressed with the big boys today;

Sam Collins continues to mark strongly in one on one and pack marks.
Uebergang Took a couple of strong marks and Zac Clarke took plenty of marks all over the ground.

Ethan Hughes and Connor Blakely especially, demonstrated great evasive skills in a couple of passages.

It must have been extremely difficult for Dean Magetts today, umpiring a Dockers intra game.
His form continued, he didn't pay Freo any kicks.
Margetts umpired in pre-session stuff last year so whatever kicks he gave then were our quota for the year and zilch after that:D:D.

I don't think Brady injured his ankle today. He did go down following a head clash with Walters, probably has pretty sore nose. No one at fault. Gray just didn't anticipate which way Walters was going to turn when playing on from a mark.
Clark was very impressive today. Other players who are on the fringe that performed well were Blakely, Mzungu and Weller.
Quite a lot of mis kicking and spilling of marks probably due to the strong breeze.

At the end of the NAB Challenge I will be calling for nominations for the annual Chris "Mad Dog" Masten Award for the best player who trained the house down this pre-season.

All training watchers who attending at least one training session over the current pre-season are eligable to vote.

So who will take home the Mad Dog?

View attachment 214800

I get the rationale and love the concept but surely we can come up with a better name than this. Naming any positive Freo player award after a Dirty Bird is bad enough let alone choosing a dog like that. If we're going for irony in recognition then we had one of our own who we could use...The Daniel Bandy TTHD Pre-Season Medal.

IMO he will exspecially with the more attacking game plan being reported by the training watchers.
I reserved my expectations for Zac C and Tab, both actually start very well last season and then.........

I reserved my expectations for Zac C and Tab, both actually start very well last season and then.........

You have to remember the 2013 season, a fit and running Zac C is very good player. Re tabs not certain how that'll end up, key forwards of rookie list don't make it, well I can't think of one, but good luck to him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back