Trotta

Senior List
Jan 12, 2007
Benalla
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
With the likely introduction of the interchange being capped at 90 rotations, what impact will this have on how teams play?
Collingwood under Malthouse implemented high interchange rotations to enable their players to perform high intensity bursts followed by periods of short recovery with great success from 2008-2011. This enabled them to excel with their forward press & execute it with the high level of pressure.

Fast forward to 2016 with teams like Fremantle that rely on their ability to apply manic consistent pressure on their opponents I believe will feel the impact of the rule change the most. Teams will need to change how they defend in a manner that isn't as taxing on the body as their current style. This could be a blast from the past -Hawthorn's cluster defence (08) where their team zoned through the midfield (Malthouse took this style to another level to defend in the fwd half that evolved into the press), another style implemented by Neale Craig at the Crows in 03-05 where they pushed their numbers back into their defensive 50 & slingshot it forward.

Styles of play that were effective in beating the cluster & D50 zone defences were the likes of Geelong under Thompson with their high octane footy- run & carry, worked there way through zones with their ability to draw & engage opponents before handballing to a team mate who would break the lines. This style too could be impacted, opening the way for the older style of defence to come back.

thoughts?

i think we'll see high score quickly like we did last yr but then you'll need to be very adept at tempo footy as well so we'll see that slow kick to kick stuff as well...PA are focusing on a possession game this year similar to the Hawks which is far less taxing but that just feeds those bouts of scoring we know PA can have to even greater heights (hopefully)

I think it's funny how the league supposedly didn't like that some teams were using an unlimited interchange tactically (not sure why it was unexpected or was considered a bad thing, but anyway), so they've countered it with the sub and now a cap, so that everyone has to use it tactically o_O

Remove this Banner Ad

Back