Murray FL 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congupna only should go down a league , if they have had enough in trying to compete in murray league . But if they still entertain the desire to stay in mfl & compete that's where they should stay !

Congupna unfortunately are a victim of the so called saviour of football ' sustainability and equalisation system '
1. Shepparton / mooroopna has 7 clubs within approzimateky 10 Kim's of the post offices.
2. The equalisation program discourages GV clubs from recruiting players from Melbourne .
3. Melbourne / city based colleges have been offering the better country kids schilling scholarships for years which naturally does take some talent to Melbourne and in Melbourne clubs at a younger age where points are not a issue and they become Melbourne club home
Players .
4. Reports of GV clubs aligned to Shepp District clubs have allegedly already started increasing their poaching of kids for the purpose of qualifying them as 'home grown players '.

It is a system that is being sold on the back of reducing money in football and therefore reducing workload in volunteers which no-one disagrees would be a good thing . Problem is with a bit more research including considering how it has worked in SA and it shows that it is a poor system which will
only see clubs like congupna , who haven't experienced recent grand final success at senior level , targeted heavily and struggling to continue their club .

I'll disagree Roar,

Congupna are a victim of their own poor recruiting decisions. Their poor performance started before this equalisation stuff.

Keep in mind this is only my opinion.

I'll disagree Roar,

Congupna are a victim of their own poor recruiting decisions. Their poor performance started before this equalisation stuff.

Agree with this , one disadvantage congupna face though is that murray league are u17s which they have been successful in (very strong juniors) they then face the challenge of losing these kids to under 18s in the gv and a real struggle to get them back.

There recruiting over the years has from the outside looked ordinary at times

I'll disagree Roar,

Don't know the intregal details of the running of the club to make comment on the performance of their recruiting , such as money paid or available for recruits .
If they have been negligent that is there issue / fault .
I'd suggest every club has from time to time either been guilty or accused of being guilty of poor management of recruiting ?
In the past that would mean a few years languishing near the bottom and being on the end of not only a few beltings but also plenty of banter , not closure of clubs .

Agree with this , one disadvantage congupna face though is that murray league are u17s which they have been successful in (very strong juniors) they then face the challenge of losing these kids to under 18s in the gv and a real struggle to get them back.

There recruiting over the years has from the outside looked ordinary at times
The kids who are poached by GV clubs are the ones who at many other clubs filter into the senior ranks.
I suspect Congupna are then forced to compete with the 6 other Shepp/Moor based clubs to recruit players to replace these 17-18 years kids that have been poached
Ideally the kids they replace in the GV sides would filter out to neighbouring clubs but it just doesn't happen , those kids just simply give the game away .

Wow huge exodus at Deniliquin , would of thought with parsons coaching again it would of been the opposite.

Because Deni wouldn't be so stupid to match the offers from other clubs

The old lower league clubs offering ridiculous money to draw players away from the stronger competition problem

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am hearing a rumour Gillard may have left Mulwala already and headed back to Cobram.

Also hearing a couple of others have left Mul as well.

Can anyone from up that way confirm.

The old lower league clubs offering ridiculous money to draw players away from the stronger competition problem
If the case , I would probably get use to it and consider the old saying that water has habit of finding it's own level . It may be that the said clubs / comps have a s**t load of cash and the sustainable ability to spend a lot more money than they have been and even possibly more than Clubs in other leagues like the MFL .
Imo over time the level of the league will increase till it reaches it's sustainable peak . At that point leagues tend to be extremely even and competitive , I'd suggest where the MFL is now .
Not so long ago the MFL and GVFL were on par over the past few years it would appear GV clubs have increased recruiting and by the looks of it may be heading south , likewise the KDFL .
Some might not like it but the realistic sustainable balance of local comps is GV clubs 3-4 goals better than the MFL , difference to PDFNL similar and then a probably little more to the KDFL .
I'd suggest that currently the GVFL is above , MFL spot on , PDFNL below and KDFL above . As such I reckon the GVFL and KDFL will drop off , MFL hold and PDFNL improve and that will be reflected in recruiting .

Am hearing a rumour Gillard may have left Mulwala already and headed back to Cobram.

Also hearing a couple of others have left Mul as well.

Can anyone from up that way confirm.

Interesting would of thought Mulwala would of been one of the real contenders

Mulwala , moama , Finley , nathalia

If the case , I would probably get use to it and consider the old saying that water has habit of finding it's own level . It may be that the said clubs / comps have a s**t load of cash and the sustainable ability to spend a lot more money than they have been and even possibly more than Clubs in other leagues like the MFL .
Imo over time the level of the league will increase till it reaches it's sustainable peak . At that point leagues tend to be extremely even and competitive , I'd suggest where the MFL is now .
Not so long ago the MFL and GVFL were on par over the past few years it would appear GV clubs have increased recruiting and by the looks of it may be heading south , likewise the KDFL .
Some might not like it but the realistic sustainable balance of local comps is GV clubs 3-4 goals better than the MFL , difference to PDFNL similar and then a probably little more to the KDFL .
I'd suggest that currently the GVFL is above , MFL spot on , PDFNL below and KDFL above . As such I reckon the GVFL and KDFL will drop off , MFL hold and PDFNL improve and that will be reflected in recruiting .
Unless most clubs in league can recruit with more cash, the leagues will become more lopsided .addition relegation needs to be looked at . Talking to a club president of one of top clubs in pfnl he doubted whether they would be able to compete but I disagree jerilderie & strathy would of competed but juniors could be more of a problem simply because of numbers the problem is those two teams are 15 goals better than most of the others in pfnl

Last edited:

3 or 4 goals is a massive stretch

Between GVFL and MFL ? I think you need to consider I said sustainable / water level . At times that level will be greater and at times less but overall it's my opinion that is about the level . Happy to here your thoughts of the variance ?

In not overly interested in discussing other leagues mate, but the good mfl sides would be 6 - 10 goal better sides then the top pdfl sides and atleast 20 goals better then the rest showing the disparity within that competition

The good gv sides would be 6 goals plus better then the good mfl sides but the very top mfl sides would be a very good chance of beating some of the lesser sides as I think may have been done in practice matches before.

Only an opinion as is yours , let's stick to talking about the mfl a competition that bats deep and is very interesting

a little on the fence for 6th spot but prob says how close the season may be again this year?
Barooga
Nathalia
Moama
Mulwala
Numurkah

6th-Echuca/Rumba/Tonny/Finley

a little on the fence for 6th spot but prob says how close the season may be again this year?
Barooga
Nathalia
Moama
Mulwala
Numurkah

6th-Echuca/Rumba/Tonny/Finley

Moama
Finley
Nathalia
Mulwala
Barooga

Tongala

What's news on every clubs in's & out's
Who's been training the house down this pre-season and who's in for a big year?

What's news on every clubs in's & out's
Who's been training the house down this pre-season and who's in for a big year?
Tongala Outs;
Elijah Edwards (WA)
Ryan Butler (missed season due to injury, KY)
Jarrad Martin (pulled pin mid year)
Daryl Harrison (retired)
Matt Andrews (Melb)
Jack Hammond (KY)
Paul Newman (KY)
Tom Donnell (Melb)
Justin Chambers (KY)
Dave Newman (Inverloch)
Ricky Thompson (Melb)
Zane Coventry (Geelong)
Charlie Lowe (Merrigum)

Status