childeric

All Australian
Aug 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
The Arsenal, New England Patriots,
One day in July 1968 a NSW police detective arrived at a house in Glenfield NSW to interview a man called Wally Mellish over an alleged car theft

Wally produced a rifle and seized a woman called Beryl Muddle and her infant

Police and media soon arrived, and, unusually, the police commissioner himself entered the house to negotiate

He was Ray Allen, whose police career could be described as “colourful”

Wally made some demands and Allen left the scene, returning after a while with a clergyman (to marry Wally & Beryl), baby clothes and, curiously, an Armalite rifle

After a couple of days Allen persuaded Wally to end the siege, although, instead of taking Wally to a nearby army base to enlist, as demanded, he was taken to a psychiatric hospital where he remained for a few years, after which he was jailed

Mr Allen promptly nominated himself for a medal of valour

The mainstream media at the time saw nothing odd in a police commissioner providing an unstable man with a high-powered rifle with which to facilitate a siege

In 2002, it was asserted in the biography of Sydney gang enforcer and mate of Roger Rogerson, Tim Bristow, that Allen acceded to Wally’s demands because he was a minor cog in a massive car theft ring set up and run by NSW police and threatened to blow the whistle

Does anyone else have any meat to add to the bones of this story?

Hi, if you ever find any information as to how to contact him now would you please pass it along
As i am his grand-daughter and have not seen him since i was very young :-/

Hi, if you ever find any information as to how to contact him now would you please pass it along

Hey Nicole,

I am sure you would already know but a couple years ago he was very present in the Campbelltown Area, you would often see him around. Can't say I've seen him recently but it may be worth asking.
I knew his son but he's moved away.

I could ask my uncle who knew him and liked him.

However he's in a spot of bother at the moment on a murder wrap.

Ill be seeing him on the weekend, I hope. I'll ask for you.

I've not had any contact, nor heard bout him in so many years. a man on one of his facebook pages said he would see him sometimes at a local pub, but when I spoke to him he hadn't seen him for some time. I also just saw an article about him passing away. I hope this is not right??

I could ask my uncle who knew him and liked him.

However he's in a spot of bother at the moment on a murder wrap.

Ill be seeing him on the weekend, I hope. I'll ask for you.

Wow that is a development! if you did ask him or could ask, I would be much appreciated. I hope I am not too late to find him... I am so much like him (as I am told) and so much unlike others in my family that id love to meet him and see for myself. but from what ive read it may be too late?? need to confirm this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back