Game Day NAB Cup 2016 Rd 1 - NMFC v St Kilda @ Norm Minns Oval, Wangaratta

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a must win game and I'd suggest Scott's career hangs on the outcome. Our NAB cup performances in recent years have been a disgrace, including the loss to Carlton last year that destroyed the players' confidence and was the catalyst to our early season losing streak that ultimately cost us a top 4 finish. If we can't beat the Saints, Scott has to go along with Brayshaw, and we may as well commence trading Swallow, playing the kids and commencing the inevitable rebuild.

This is a must win game and I'd suggest Scott's career hangs on the outcome. Our NAB cup performances in recent years have been a disgrace, including the loss to Carlton last year that destroyed the players' confidence and was the catalyst to our early season losing streak that ultimately cost us a top 4 finish. If we can't beat the Saints, Scott has to go along with Brayshaw, and we may as well commence trading Swallow, playing the kids and commencing the inevitable rebuild.
Deal until end of 2018 says his career won't come into question off the back of preseason games.

For NAB one I want

B: Mullett Tippett Hansen
HB: McDonald Thompson Atley
C: Wells Ziebell Fordham
HF: Wagner Daw Garner
F: Boomer Petrie Turner
R: Goldstein Clarke Cunnington
I: Dumont McKenzie Anderson Wood Hibberd Macmillan Black Mountford

NAB 2 bring in Swallow, Firrito, LT, Higgins, Jacobs, dal, Tarrant, Wright, McKay, Durdin, Nahas.

NAB 3 pick the best team taking into account NAB and preseason form

FB: Michael Firrito, Scott Thompson, Lachie Hansen
HB: Shaun Atley, Joel Tippett, Sam Wright
C: Jamie Macmillan, Ben Cunnington, Jed Anderson
HF: Taylor Garner, Drew Petrie, Brent Harvey
FF: Lindsay Thomas, Jarrad Waite, Mason Wood
R: Todd Goldstein, Trent Dumont, Nick Dal Santo
I/C: Shaun Higgins, Daniel Wells, Will Fordham, Ryan Clarke, Corey Wagner, Aaron Mullett

Not selected: Luke McDonald, Robbie Tarrant, Majak Daw, Mitch Hibberd, Declan Mountford, Ben McKay, Sam Durdin, Andrew Swallow, Jack Ziebell, Ben Jacobs, Robbie Nahas, Aaron Black, Brad McKenzie, Sam Gibson, Ben Brown
I like the team youve selected, but Id make 3 changes.

I want to see LMac in for Spud. I think we know what we get with Spud, but we still dont really know with LMac yet. Playing a young team, I dont think Spud would be warranted.

Id like to see Black in for Petrie. Same reasons as above.

BMac is the final one Id change. Could easily replace a mid, like JMac, Dal or Cunners. BMac is on his last chance, so give him some more responsibility!

I assume you wrote that tongue in cheek, but I do think that this is an important game. We've played poorly in NAB games in recent years and it's largely been shrugged off as 'just a practice match'. Unfortunately we've then carried that lack of intensity into Round 1. I'm hoping to see a much improved effort this year, and going by reports from the intraclub matches, I think that should be the case.

I can't wait to head up to Wang and watch this! Very excited about the season ahead for the lads. Fit, Firing and plenty of depth I think!
The team I'd like to see run out next week..

B: McDonald Thompson Firrito
HB: Hibberd Tippett Atley
C: Macmillan Dumont Wells
HF: Anderson Waite Garner
F: Wood Petrie Thomas
R: Goldstein Ziebell Ziebell
I/C: Higgins, Mckenzie, Daw, Clarke, Fordham, Wright, Boomer, Turner

I can't wait to head up to Wang and watch this! Very excited about the season ahead for the lads. Fit, Firing and plenty of depth I think!
The team I'd like to see run out next week..

B: McDonald Thompson Firrito
HB: Hibberd Tippett Atley
C: Macmillan Dumont Wells
HF: Anderson Waite Garner
F: Wood Petrie Thomas
R: Goldstein Ziebell Ziebell
I/C: Higgins, Mckenzie, Daw, Clarke, Fordham, Wright, Boomer, Turner

Sadly we only have one Ziebell.

Burn the place down too.

Goldstein would be worth a couple of good picks. That young McKay too, from what I hear.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like to see us play only the senior guys who the club think need a hitout in all 3 games to get their fitness/touch up for round 1. Fill the rest of the side with as many young blokes as possible and tell them to treat it as a mini elimination tourny. The best performed in game 1 hold their spot for game 2 when we bring in some of the senior boys. Same applies for game 2 to 3 when we field the full dress rehearsal for the crows. This should ensure the intensity stays right up over 3 games and hopefully froggy, fishy, garns and anderson dominate because they're the 4 I'm really keen to see make an impact on the ones this year

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

Firstly, when did we lose to Carlton in 2015? We did not play them in the NAB challenge and beat them by 10 goals during the season. Pre season games have zero effect nor do they put any pressure on a senior coaches job. There is nothing to gain in the NAB challenge except match fitness and having the chance to implement small game plan tweaks if needed so I don't care if we get beat by 100 points on average during the NAB challenge aslong as no injuries occur.

Firstly, when did we lose to Carlton in 2015? We did not play them in the NAB challenge and beat them by 10 goals during the season. Pre season games have zero effect nor do they put any pressure on a senior coaches job. There is nothing to gain in the NAB challenge except match fitness and having the chance to implement small game plan tweaks if needed so I don't care if we get beat by 100 points on average during the NAB challenge aslong as no injuries occur.
I think we lost to Carlton in 2014 in Ballarat.

I assume you wrote that tongue in cheek, but I do think that this is an important game. We've played poorly in NAB games in recent years and it's largely been shrugged off as 'just a practice match'. Unfortunately we've then carried that lack of intensity into Round 1. I'm hoping to see a much improved effort this year, and going by reports from the intraclub matches, I think that should be the case.
We were pretty sharp vs the Tiges in the final NAB game last season, especially in the first half. I'm pretty sure that's why most here were up and about leading into Round 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back