Unpopular Basketball Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Trading away a superstar who is in their prime never really makes a team better. They seem like big deals, but they're really just sideways moves that just look like you're doing something, rather than actually improving.

Golden state traded away monta Ellis as he was entering his prime for an injury riddled centre.

As with everything it depends on the plan.

Golden state traded away monta Ellis as he was entering his prime for an injury riddled centre.

As with everything it depends on the plan.

Monta Ellis has also never been an All-Star, so it's not really the type of thing I'm talking about. I'm talking about the big superstar that can command multiple good pieces in return. It usually just ends up being a sideways move for the team giving up the star.

Monta at best is just decent so there was always a chance of getting something decent back, plus keeping Curry over him was a no-brainer.
It's a no brainer now.

Was it a no brainer then?

'It’s going to become increasingly difficult to part ways with Monta Ellis in favor of Curry when Curry can’t stay healthy.'

http://au.complex.com/sports/2015/1...trading-monta-ellis-and-keeping-stephen-curry

Even the likes of Larry coon weren't convinced of currys health

It's a no brainer now.

Was it a no brainer then?

'It’s going to become increasingly difficult to part ways with Monta Ellis in favor of Curry when Curry can’t stay healthy.'

http://au.complex.com/sports/2015/1...trading-monta-ellis-and-keeping-stephen-curry

Even the likes of Larry coon weren't convinced of currys health
At the time the Warriors were going nowhere and knew risk taking was needed.

The Warriors knew they had someone real special on their hands if they could just sort his ankles.

Zach Randolph's story is something players can learn. From a kid that nearly got killed playing for the Jail Blazers for sucker punching Ruben Patterson to horrible teams (Knicks and Clippers) to a very mature team player on the Grizzlies.

I think so many players can learn from him and Vince Carter.

Keeping Curry was a no-brainer?

Well I guess we are in the right thread.
At the time they traded Ellis teams apparently wanted Curry but the Warriors knew he had potential, and like any team at that time would've given them an offer they deemed fair. They would've been shocking offers due to his injuries.

It's like with someone like Rose. I'm sure if the Bulls got decent offers in the past twenty four months they would've said see you later to him, but they wouldn't have so it's better to hope he comes good.

At the time they traded Ellis teams apparently wanted Curry but the Warriors knew he had potential, and like any team at that time would've given them an offer they deemed fair. They would've been shocking offers due to his injuries.

It's like with someone like Rose. I'm sure if the Bulls got decent offers in the past twenty four months they would've said see you later to him, but they wouldn't have so it's better to hope he comes good.

It was an unpopular trade at the time (remember the booing). To say keeping Curry and trading Ellis for an injury prone Aussie was a no-brainer, is just not true. In hindsight it was brilliant.

I'm not even saying at the time that it was wrong. A lot of people agreed with it (including myself). But to call it a no-brainer is just wrong. It's not like Cleveland (or was it Miami?) offered to trade LeBron for Ellis at the time (which would have been a no-brainer).

It was an unpopular trade at the time (remember the booing). To say keeping Curry and trading Ellis for an injury prone Aussie was a no-brainer, is just not true. In hindsight it was brilliant.

I'm not even saying at the time that it was wrong. A lot of people agreed with it (including myself). But to call it a no-brainer is just wrong. It's not like Cleveland (or was it Miami?) offered to trade LeBron for Ellis at the time (which would have been a no-brainer).
Maybe I just view trading players differently. But at the time I distinctly recall thinking to myself that the Warriors were at least finally having a crack at building something. I'd always have hope that an injury prone player can come good, particularly at such a young age, and I'm sure that's what the Warriors did. They copped heat from fans yes, but reading all the articles from Lowe etc it seems they knew from the first days of the ownership change what they were trying to achieve.

I was shocked that Ellis went so quickly, but realised pretty soon afterwards when I was watching the Celtics play the Warriors that Klay Thompson had great potential at the two.

Regardless, the initial point was that Ellis wasn't a superstar so the original trading superstars argument shouldn't involve him.

Maybe I just view trading players differently. But at the time I distinctly recall thinking to myself that the Warriors were at least finally having a crack at building something. I'd always have hope that an injury prone player can come good, particularly at such a young age, and I'm sure that's what the Warriors did. They copped heat from fans yes, but reading all the articles from Lowe etc it seems they knew from the first days of the ownership change what they were trying to achieve.

I was shocked that Ellis went so quickly, but realised pretty soon afterwards when I was watching the Celtics play the Warriors that Klay Thompson had great potential at the two.

Regardless, the initial point was that Ellis wasn't a superstar so the original trading superstars argument shouldn't involve him.

What you said there is completely different to saying "it was a no-brainer".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What you said there is completely different to saying "it was a no-brainer".
They wanted to make a change and Ellis was the best suited piece they had at the time to trade? That's what I was aiming to say.

I see it as one of those situations where they just had to go for it.

They wanted to make a change and Ellis was the best suited piece they had at the time to trade? That's what I was aiming to say.

I see it as one of those situations where they just had to go for it.

I agree. Still not a no brainer to trade their "as close as they have had in a while" franchise player for a guy coming off surgery and injured all the time.

I agree. Still not a no brainer to trade their "as close as they have had in a while" franchise player for a guy coming off surgery and injured all the time.

Hell even re-signing Bogut to that contract wasn't even a no brainer

The best way to beat the warriors is through going big.

The problem is the only teams with suitable low post threats to punish them are Minny and philly. Guys like Jordan, Howard, zaza are just too easily handled by the small lineups.

The only wildcard is the thunder, anus is strangely playable against them.

But Howard's trash. He'll never be what he was and unless he grows up and becomes a third wheel he'll just earn his coin and never win anything. Much like Blake Griffin

Sorry stewie, next unpopular opinion is people are way too harsh on Griffin. Dude is only 26 and in his 5th season. Repeating... He's only 26!He's been a 20/10 guy ever since he got in the league and been fantastic. He's still probably the best true big forward in the game (maybe Green is if you think he's a big forward).

They were the second best team in the West last year, but they choked against the Clips. It wouldn't have mattered, the Warriors would have beaten them anyway, so does it really matter?

Blake gets numbers. Congratulations.

He honestly could be just about the best player in the league. Athletically he has it all, his shot is still a work in progress. Defensively he's, well underwhelming. He got destroyed by ariza in the playoffs. Possibly the best thing that could have happened was Jordan going to Dallas, but alas he went back

Call me when he wins a series

Blake gets numbers. Congratulations.

He honestly could be just about the best player in the league. Athletically he has it all, his shot is still a work in progress. Defensively he's, well underwhelming. He got destroyed by ariza in the playoffs. Possibly the best thing that could have happened was Jordan going to Dallas, but alas he went back

Call me when he wins a series

Okay, I'll grab my time machine and call you 3 of the last 4 years :p

I didn't watch much of last years series between Clippers and Houston (mainly because I can't watch Harden if I have other choices!), but I don't remember Blake being terrible. He outscored Ariza in every game and overall averaged over 10ppg more than him in the series.

The guys 26 remember. Plenty of time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back