SC 2016 - My Team (Pre-NAB Challenge)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mid-Price madness
O'Meara is very unlikely to play Round 1. Thomas and Laverde are both interesting, are you hoping that they'll be keepers or are you trying to generate cash with them? I'd swap both of them to Wells and Simpkin as i think they'll average similar scores while generating more cash IMO
I'd downgrade Francis as i think that money could be used better elsewhere. If you are gonna go with an expensive rookie, go with Parish. He's acing the pre-season to date.
I'm not sure if Merrett will score enough to be a keeper. I'd go with Greene instead as Greene will generate cash easier and i reckon he'll score similar points to Merrett.
Not sure on Burgoyne. I don't think he's gonna average much higher than his 2015 average. If anything, i think his average will decrease as he'll see less time in the midfield.

Of Course. This is just my opinion but i reckon you've got too many players in the risky 300K - 450K region.

Overall interesting team. i personally don't particularly like the setup but i'm no expert.
For some reason I always begin like this then change to a more gun/rookie setup by round 1. I'll probably end up doing this through the NAB cup after i see some exposed form of rookie priced players. Right now its too hard to know which rookies are worth picking though.

PooMonkey

Tie dye biatch!!!
Sep 23, 2009
With other monkeys!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester Utd, SF 49ers, Rovers.
Last take before nab cup

K Kolodjashnij, Yeo, M Johnson, B Smith, Dea, Francis - Bonner, Collins

Dangerfield, Ablett, Priddis, Shiel, Rockliff, Liberatore, M Crouch, Simpkin - Keays, Petracca, Cunningham

Gawn, Lobbe - Cox

Dahlhaus, Franklin, Stringer, Wells, Cockatoo, Kerridge - Menadue, S Yarran

Thoughts

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Bit light in the forwards/backs and overly stacked in the mids imo. Reckon the structure you should be going for is something like 4/0/4, 4/1/6, 2/0/1, 4/0/4 if possible.
This structure is OK, but getting four premo defenders is near impossible. There is also an unprecedented amount of value in the mids this year. I prefer 3/0/5, 5/1/5 at this stage. But will as always be determined by where the rookies pop up in the next few weeks.

KenTucker

All Australian
Jan 25, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Seems so hard this year, though I think I say that every year.

Had a bit of a tinker with my team just now, here's what I came up with. Looking for feedback :)

View attachment 215526
From reports JOM may not get up for round 1.
Dusty should probably be in your forward line, maybe Merrett out, switch dusty down.
Boak interesting pick, he's probably established himself score wise. Best year 2013 106 av. Who knows may have improvement but I wouldn't think so.
Risky rucks.
Jaensch could be a masterstroke, but is a gamble.

From reports JOM may not get up for round 1.
Dusty should probably be in your forward line, maybe Merrett out, switch dusty down.
Boak interesting pick, he's probably established himself score wise. Best year 2013 106 av. Who knows may have improvement but I wouldn't think so.
Risky rucks.
Jaensch could be a masterstroke, but is a gamble.
Had dusty forward but no fwds in the midfield to swap around so moved him there.

KenTucker

All Australian
Jan 25, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Had dusty forward but no fwds in the midfield to swap around so moved him there.
Yep, no worries, usually you would see a rookie (Kerridge or Petracca) in mids and Dusty in Forwards. He will have to be moved back to forwards some time though.

Penetrator

Senior List
Nov 20, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Any of the experts be kind enough to rate my team. Very much GnR approach and rookies will change depending on form and selection come round 1.

Shaw Docherty B.smith Dureya M.Brown Byrne Wagnar Hibberd

Fyfe Pendles Ablett Rock Libba Greesham Janesn Clark Mathieson Phillips Marcon

Goldy Martin King

Deledio Dallhouse Barlow Z.Merrett Keridge Petracca Grimley M.Adams

JohnChainz

Debutant
Mar 30, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Any of the experts be kind enough to rate my team. Very much GnR approach and rookies will change depending on form and selection come round 1.

Goldy Martin King

Merrett out for Buddy maybe?

Goldy Martin King

Not sure if there's any experts about, but I'll have a crack. ;)

10 keepers, with 5 more possibilities (Doch, Bmith, Duryea, Libba, Zerrett)
I can see Doch, Libba, and Bmith getting there, so solid with 13.

Duryea is popular around here, but is awkwardly priced. Pass for mine, despite his finals heroics. Just look at his full 2015 season.
Zerrett will be a good POD I think, will be one of Essendon's leading midfielders.

What average do you hope to get from these two?

Oct 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sixers, Exers, GWS Womens

Goldy Martin King

Not sure about Fyfe at his price. He'll be playing more forward so i reckon he'll drop in price.
Reckon Merrett --> Buddy
Fyfe --> Kennedy
Duryea --> Laird

Girthquake

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2012
Geelong.
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester City

Goldy Martin King

Not sure if Wagner will get on the Park, dee's backline pretty set surprisingly, Mitch white also on the rookie list and would be ahead of him imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 12, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm having a lot of trouble deciding on final structure.

My team/balance is always decided by these factors;

1. Genuine keepers by line - Pick the best from the beginning if possible without disrupting the other rules listed below too much.
2. Available rookies per line, growth potential and game stability of said rookies.
3. Potential break out mid priced players - Gut instinct, allowed 2 ideally for whole team.
4. Fallen premiums who I think will get back to their best. (or somewhere near)
5. A preferred age profile of player - Unless a rookie or GAJ. Not always possible by line as I believe Heater to be the best defender by far.
6. Growth potential left in premium.
7. Balanced side. - No mid price madness, the team starts well but it bites you in the arse without fail

The Back Half - Of the premium players available, its the old farts that I like which goes against my rules somewhat. Of the rookies available, I think there are guys that will get consistent game time however I think there is more pure cash cow generation in the mids and forwards. (Don't wont both Laird and Smith on the same line. - It'll ruin my bye structure)

The Midfield - Have to get super premo choice right, I don't want to fall behind the pack with my keepers averaging ten less, hate corrective trades in this part of the ground. I like a lot of rookie choices although I think money has to be spent above and beyond the 117k options to get the right players who could earn you big cash generation. - Fyfe has me worried for a number of reasons.

The Forward Line - Deledio the stand out and Franklin a necessary for mine, again some of the rooks/young players are a little more expensive but needed to the the balance of stability/cash generation on this line.

The Rucks - I'd love Goldy but he's over priced and throws out the team balance as a whole, I've gone with 2 starters I believe will improve their averages along with the loophole donkey.

Any opinions welcome.

super coach 2016 team v4.PNG

nameless

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 17, 2006
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Good post, like how you've thought it all through.

Why are you worried about Fyfe? Have you seen how huge he is? He's back training, tearing up the intra-club matches. With his ability to go forward and influence and the fact he's injury free he should be in for a massive year.

Westhoff an interesting pick - what are your reasons?

I think you have to have Goldy, your team structure should be built around him!

Sep 3, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers

1. Genuine keepers by line - Pick the best from the beginning if possible without disrupting the other rules listed below too much.
2. Available rookies per line, growth potential and game stability of said rookies.
3. Potential break out mid priced players - Gut instinct, allowed 2 ideally for whole team.
5. A preferred age profile of player - Unless a rookie or GAJ. Not always possible by line as I believe Heater to be the best defender by far.
7. Balanced side. - No mid price madness, the team starts well but it bites you in the arse without fail

The Back Half - Of the premium players available, its the old farts that I like which goes against my rules somewhat. Of the rookies available, I think there are guys that will get consistent game time however I think there is more pure cash cow generation in the mids and forwards. (Don't wont both Laird and Smith on the same line. - It'll ruin my bye structure)

The Midfield - Have to get super premo choice right, I don't want to fall behind the pack with my keepers averaging ten less, hate corrective trades in this part of the ground. I like a lot of rookie choices although I think money has to be spent above and beyond the 117k options to get the right players who could earn you big cash generation. - Fyfe has me worried for a number of reasons.

The Forward Line - Deledio the stand out and Franklin a necessary for mine, again some of the rooks/young players are a little more expensive but needed to the the balance of stability/cash generation on this line.

The Rucks - I'd love Goldy but he's over priced and throws out the team balance as a whole, I've gone with 2 starters I believe will improve their averages along with the loophole donkey.

Any opinions welcome.

View attachment 215599
Great write up.

Team is strong and will provide you with a good season and maybe even a jump on some with Buddy, Gawn, Westy as PODS.

Westy is unknown. Ryder or not.
Buddy might get back to his best but it's only a might. Also has more FWD competition now with Sinclair and Tippett resting there.
Gawn I like. Think he will go up a notch or at least have a full season at 100+ not just the 14 games like last year after his breakout.

Biggest no nos for me and obvious. No Goldy and No Dusty.
Goldy will drop in price at some stage yes but can't see Dusty dropping much if at all. Will smash out some massive scores resting forward and winning games off his own boot.
As we saw in 2014 with Richmonds 9 wins in a row. Throw Dusty forward and win the game in 10 minutes.
Him resting forward due to the interchange cap is a scary prospect. 110+ average for me.

Feb 12, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Good post, like how you've thought it all through.

Why are you worried about Fyfe? Have you seen how huge he is? He's back training, tearing up the intra-club matches. With his ability to go forward and influence and the fact he's injury free he should be in for a massive year.

Westhoff an interesting pick - what are your reasons?

I think you have to have Goldy, your team structure should be built around him!
Fyfe has me worried due to injury concerns that I'm worried will play up later in the year, combine that with more forward time and his inability to kick goals and low kicking efficiency in general. I think this will be enough to bring him back to the pack a bit. The land of mere mortals.

Westhoff I think will flourish without Ryder there.
He'll get a bit more ruck time, besides that, its more gut than anything.

Feb 12, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Great write up.

Team is strong and will provide you with a good season and maybe even a jump on some with Buddy, Gawn, Westy as PODS.

Westy is unknown. Ryder or not.
Buddy might get back to his best but it's only a might. Also has more FWD competition now with Sinclair and Tippett resting there.
Gawn I like. Think he will go up a notch or at least have a full season at 100+ not just the 14 games like last year after his breakout.

Biggest no nos for me and obvious. No Goldy and No Dusty.
Goldy will drop in price at some stage yes but can't see Dusty dropping much if at all. Will smash out some massive scores resting forward and winning games off his own boot.
As we saw in 2014 with Richmonds 9 wins in a row. Throw Dusty forward and win the game in 10 minutes.
Him resting forward due to the interchange cap is a scary prospect. 110+ average for me.
I just can't get the balance I like with both those guys in the side, especially with the rookie selections.
It's a catch 22 really.

I suppose it comes down to backing Kennedy in over Dusty....Hmmm.

croweyrocks

All Australian
Nov 29, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Fyfe has me worried due to injury concerns that I'm worried will play up later in the year, combine that with more forward time and his inability to kick goals and low kicking efficiency in general. I think this will be enough to bring him back to the pack a bit. The land of mere mortals.

Westhoff I think will flourish without Ryder there.
He'll get a bit more ruck time, besides that, its more gut than anything.

Westhoff has played 181 afl games and only 18 with Ryder. So he has essentially played 163 games and not once has averaged over 100 in a year. Just my opinion but there are better options for that price.

Sep 3, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
I just can't get the balance I like with both those guys in the side, especially with the rookie selections.
It's a catch 22 really.

I suppose it comes down to backing Kennedy in over Dusty....Hmmm.
Still plenty of time to mull over it. :(

Feb 12, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Westhoff has played 181 afl games and only 18 with Ryder. So he has essentially played 163 games and not once has averaged over 100 in a year. Just my opinion but there are better options for that price.
Coming from a Port man, I'm listening carefully.
I have been down this path with other players before then they've had career best years, I've been left spewing.

Hmmmm.

If only it was as easy as swapping Martin for Westhoff.

TheBeardAmigos

Brownlow Medallist
May 15, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Any opinions welcome.

View attachment 215599
I am insure on the Westy and Buddy picks, could both go gangbusters for you or could spud
reckon you need Martin in there (maybe dont want both Lids and Dusty in, understandable)
Greene, Merrett or Tippett might be better picks for around Buddy's price

DEFS:
Reckon Houli is a safer bet than Rance for similar price, but you have a reason for picking him over Houli, so back your gut

Rucks:
like the different set and forget option with NN and Gawn. a nice POD for you as most people are going Goldy with Martin/Jacobs/Sandi/Blitz or going mid price (which i dont like)
Hope it works for you

Mids:
like how you have stacked your mids, but reckon cheaper players could score equal or more than JPK (wines, Cripps, etc)
Obvs rookies will change, dont think Menegola with get a go early on with a stacked midfield at Geelong

Good luck with your team, very different to ones ive seen

Feb 12, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Still plenty of time to mull over it. :(
Like every year, it's doing my head before one ball has even been kicked in anger.

Going over previous years teams and save revisions along the way, it looks like I should have stuck with the earlier versions as a whole.
Last minute changes have cost me...I've decided to go with gut a bit more this year.

Hairy Lager

Chug!!
10k Posts
Feb 22, 2011
Loving the Puppies
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Demons

Any opinions welcome.

View attachment 215599
Said everything but cash left?;):thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back