Training 2016 Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Love your work - feel like I was almost there

A couple of questions I just wanted to follow up:

• What was Lemmens kicking like as it has been his strength and poor kicking efficiency that has cost him in the past?
  • Could you tell whether Day played well because Thompson was on him or did he play well as he looks like he has taken the next step. Either a win-win result for both or potentially lose-lose if Thompson played poorly and this was a false dawn for Day?
  • Be interesting to hear others opinion on if Sexton, Hall or Rischa are the front runners for the starting wing spot?
  • Did Garlett play exclusively forward? Salivating at the thought of Martin, Ah Chee and Garlett with Hall/Miller/Ablett rotating through

It's difficult to tell on Lemmens and a lot of players. Being in the stands on the ground you don't have the luxury of seeing who is involved in every play. When I did see Lemmens though he was usually used as an option for the mid to dish out to him, who's come running in from the defensive 50, and he kicks it in very long/deep into the attacking 50. There were a few lower kicks where he seemed to pick out a target in the forward 50 too.

Thompson and Day both played well. Thompson won every battle you'd expect him to and held Day off when the ball didn't come in well. But when the ball was put to Day's advantage he would be the one to excel. It was a win-win as far as I'm concerned with that match-up.

Sexton easily won the spot for the wing position.

I didn't actually notice much of Garlett to be honest. When I saw him it was as a forward. But again, in the stands. Others noticed him apparently and thought he played well.

What are our chances of beating Brisbane this week on their dung heap with a host of our top liners likely to be out / rested? Will be interesting to see the lineups. Feel Lions might have a stronger side in - will want to play their new senior recruits like Bell, Bastinac in.
Not overly concerned if we lose but would be nice to maintain our recent dominance over them and also give the boys a lot of confidence that the work they've put in over summer is paying dividends. We need to develop a winning habit.

well a big pat on the back yesterday for the suns open day. a well organised day, with enough stuff for the kids to do, and an easy chat with all the players. shame rocket was there for a chat. but all in all a good day. and i might also add that a few nice cold carlton draughts over at the emerald lakes gold club went down a treat afterwards

What are our chances of beating Brisbane this week on their dung heap with a host of our top liners likely to be out / rested? Will be interesting to see the lineups. Feel Lions might have a stronger side in - will want to play their new senior recruits like Bell, Bastinac in.
Not overly concerned if we lose but would be nice to maintain our recent dominance over them and also give the boys a lot of confidence that the work they've put in over summer is paying dividends. We need to develop a winning habit.
I wouldn't be expecting to see many big names from brisbane either. Could go either way really.

Rocket hinted that we'll go reasonably strong NAB 1, very young for NAB 2 in Perth, then full strength in NAB 3.

I would expect all of the main guys that played in the intra to play next week, plus Lynch and Prestia.

How did Leslie and Keogh go in the scratch match?

1st time ive seen Keogh play , bit smaller than i thought , got a bit of it, more in the 2nd half . I would start with schadey going purely off yesterday for that 3rd tall . Leslie is one big lad , almost ruckman size , he stood Brooksby for a bit and looked bigger then him , i'm not sure what Jacks best position is just yet , he was recruited as a ruckman but we want him as a KPD.

1st time ive seen Keogh play , bit smaller than i thought , got a bit of it, more in the 2nd half . I would start with schadey going purely off yesterday for that 3rd tall . Leslie is one big lad , almost ruckman size , he stood Brooksby for a bit and looked bigger then him , i'm not sure what Jacks best position is just yet , he was recruited as a ruckman but we want him as a KPD.

Keough listed at 194cm and 91kilograms from a previous SANFL website.
Leslie listed at 197cm and 98 kilograms from 2015 player profile.
Schade listed at 197cm and 89 kilograms from 2015 player profile.

It appears from the difficulty that Essendon FC have had in finding suitable key defenders that it takes several years to get the "body" to be able to play as a genuine key backman.

That might explain the view on the size/body shape of Keough.

Additionally with the drop in rotations this year it appears that all key position players have dropped weight to assist in the 2016 rotation rules.

Keough played as a key forward until 2015 when he was sent back and had a very good season in the SANFL.

Leslie was a ruckman and key forward when recruited through the U/18's and is still learning the skills required to play in the backline.

Schade was recruited from the U/18's and has always been a key backman. However he has the club record (will probably never be broken) for waiting for a senior game.

Could you tell whether Day played well because Thompson was on him or did he play well as he looks like he has taken the next step. Either a win-win result for both or potentially lose-lose if Thompson played poorly and this was a false dawn for Day?
Day and Rory both played well. Sunny summed it up well, but Rory has improved his defensive skills and is actually marking the ball rather than merely fisting it away. Sammy Day has trimmed down and is far more nimble on his feet and was looking far more athletic and 'in the zone' than I've ever seen him. I'm positive he'll lock down the FF position comfortably, but it scares me to think that if he does, 2MP will be without games and out of contract.

• Be interesting to hear others opinion on if Sexton, Hall or Rischa are the front runners for the starting wing spot?
Sexton by far. The position is his. Hall and Rischa were very effective playing in the middle and rotating to HF.

• Did Garlett play exclusively forward? Salivating at the thought of Martin, Ah Chee and Garlett with Hall/Miller/Ablett rotating through
Garlett rotated through the midfield yesterday, but I'm not sure if he'll be doing that come round 1. His niche seems to be in the forward half.

How did Leslie go in the scratch match?
Leslie is one big lad , almost ruckman size , he stood Brooksby for a bit and looked bigger then him , i'm not sure what Jacks best position is just yet , he was recruited as a ruckman but we want him as a KPD.
Donble sums it up well, but it cannot be stated enough how much Leslie has bulked up. He's a huge manbeast now, whereas last year he just seemed to be a poor man's Schade. Now he's a completely different size and plays a different game. Looked really good out there in the defence, but I still don't really see a spot for him there unless Thompson or May go down.

Darcy McPherson has made a huge impression and will see early game time!!!??

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...n/news-story/49d948c820e04eb2514540f484e9e4f1
The kid really stood out yesterday. I can't read the article so I'm not sure what else was written, but it was a huge oversight for the Bulldogs to overlook him as a F/S prospect. For a player who missed the national draft, was overlooked as a F/S pick, and got picked up as a rookie, he's certainly got that polish you'd expect from a 20-40 ND pick.

There's a bit of Saad about him. I remember watching Saady in the preseason and thinking 'this kid will go places'. McPherson is my pick for an early senior upgrade.

Hey guys just wondering how Kade Kolidashnij's preseason has been?

Do you see him pushing onto the wing this year or exclusively as the rebounder?

Cheers
I'd be pretty confident in saying that Kade will be played solely as a rebounding defender. His time on the wing has come to an end after the failed experiment last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any idea if Rockliff, Beams, Hanley will play?
Beams definitely won't play, the other two have been playing in the intraclub games but I'm pretty sure they'll be put on ice and only play the last pre-season game. Club's not attacking the pre-season the same anymore, will try and slowly build up until round one instead of going guns blazing in these games.

I only rocked up for second half . Obviously didn 't see Ah Chee at his best - though saw him crunched by Malceski and bounce straight back up. ( Not sure what Mal was up to to as he later cruched Matera) .
Was definitely impressed by Sexton . Also Hall and Hallahan in midfield.
Currie won ruck knocks but couldn 't match Nicholls around the ground.
Most of the youngsters looked cooked while Rischa , Rosa , Mal etc only did what was needed.
Neither Day or Wright impressed me though I understand Day played well to half time.
It pains me but Mackenzie was impressive in defence - more versatile than Schade 1 think third tall remains between these two depending on matchup.
Was impressed by Brooksby - if Grant out of the equation he should play third tall forward in interim.
My thoughts - only on second half.

Interested to hear from the people that were at the game based on the performance of the players in the intra-club, the known injuries and the fact Rocket has said we will go close to full strength in NAB1, relatively inexperienced side in NAB2 and then full dress rehearsal for NAB3

Team for NAB1:

Lemmens May Schade
KK Thompson Malceski
Sexton Miller Rosa
Rischa Lynch Martin
Garlett Day Ah Chee
Nicholls Hall Prestia

Interchange: Currie, Wright, Hallahan, Lonergan, Harbrow, Leslie, McPherson, Keough

NB: Matera to get Rocket from Rocket and get left out for NAB1 so he can go back home to WA with the young guys, lift his standards that have apparently dropped off, and try to win his spot back for NAB3

NAB2

Out: May, Thompson, KK, Malceski, Rosa, Rischa, Lynch, Nicholls, Prestia, Harbrow
In: Matera, Saad, Russell, Shaw, McKenzie, Brooksby, Schoenfeld, Willis, Tape, Davis

NAB3

Out: Russell, Shaw, McKenzie, Brooksby, Schoenfeld, Willis, Tape, Davis, McPherson, Leslie, Keough, Currie, Lemmens
In: May, Thompson, KK, Malceski, Rosa, Rischa, Lynch, Nicholls, Prestia, Harbrow, Ablett, Swallow, Grant

one more thing regarding the intraclub match to those who went, how did the clash guernseys look?
Probably the best looking clash guernseys we've had. It surprised me to say the least - I actually don't mind them!

Obviously didn 't see Ah Chee at his best - though saw him crunched by Malceski and bounce straight back up. ( Not sure what Mal was up to to as he later cruched Matera) .
Ah Chee crunched Mal in the back in the first half. Malceski went face first into the ground and took a minute to get back up. I'd say after that he realised that everyone else was going hard.

one more thing regarding the intraclub match to those who went, how did the clash guernseys look?
Interested to hear from the people that were at the game based on the performance of the players in the intra-club, the known injuries and the fact Rocket has said we will go close to full strength in NAB1, relatively inexperienced side in NAB2 and then full dress rehearsal for NAB3

Team for NAB1:

Lemmens May Schade
KK Thompson Malceski
Sexton Miller Rosa
Rischa Lynch Martin
Garlett Day Ah Chee
Nicholls Hall Prestia

Interchange: Currie, Wright, Hallahan, Lonergan, Harbrow, Leslie, McPherson, Keough

NB: Matera to get Rocket from Rocket and get left out for NAB1 so he can go back home to WA with the young guys, lift his standards that have apparently dropped off, and try to win his spot back for NAB3

NAB2

Out: May, Thompson, KK, Malceski, Rosa, Rischa, Lynch, Nicholls, Prestia, Harbrow
In: Matera, Saad, Russell, Shaw, McKenzie, Brooksby, Schoenfeld, Willis, Tape, Davis

NAB3

Out: Russell, Shaw, McKenzie, Brooksby, Schoenfeld, Willis, Tape, Davis, McPherson, Leslie, Keough, Currie, Lemmens
In: May, Thompson, KK, Malceski, Rosa, Rischa, Lynch, Nicholls, Prestia, Harbrow, Ablett, Swallow, Grant
Not much different from a distance - but personally think the chevrons look better close up.

Off topic a bit but why have Richmond and now Essendon been allowed a non-white clash guernsey but we have been stuck with the white abominations we have had so far over the journey (possibly excluding this year, havent seen it in person yet), when we could have an inverse/ majority yellow one?

Off topic a bit but why have Richmond and now Essendon been allowed a non-white clash guernsey but we have been stuck with the white abominations we have had so far over the journey (possibly excluding this year, havent seen it in person yet), when we could have an inverse/ majority yellow one?

Probably because the AFL is bank rolling us we just have to eat it and be one of the teams that have to wear the white as no one else wants to

With Essendon I always assumed it was because their main colour was dark, so their secondary guernsey colour would have to be a non-dark colour, not necessarily white. While we have a bright red colour (which doesn't clash with any other club anyway FFS), we would need a non-bright colour as our clash. Given the only other colour we identify with is blue, I figure the white and blue together is a way for us to stick with the 'red, gold, and blue' of our club song, as well as staying within the boundaries of the AFL's stupid arbitrary clash guidelines.

Because they are who they are - Ancient Victorian clubs with political clout.. !
Doesn't win them flags though LOL ....

Last edited:
Day and Rory both played well. Sunny summed it up well, but Rory has improved his defensive skills and is actually marking the ball rather than merely fisting it away. Sammy Day has trimmed down and is far more nimble on his feet and was looking far more athletic and 'in the zone' than I've ever seen him. I'm positive he'll lock down the FF position comfortably, but it scares me to think that if he does, 2MP will be without games and out of contract.

Sexton by far. The position is his. Hall and Rischa were very effective playing in the middle and rotating to HF.

Garlett rotated through the midfield yesterday, but I'm not sure if he'll be doing that come round 1. His niche seems to be in the forward half.

Donble sums it up well, but it cannot be stated enough how much Leslie has bulked up. He's a huge manbeast now, whereas last year he just seemed to be a poor man's Schade. Now he's a completely different size and plays a different game. Looked really good out there in the defence, but I still don't really see a spot for him there unless Thompson or May go down.

The kid really stood out yesterday. I can't read the article so I'm not sure what else was written, but it was a huge oversight for the Bulldogs to overlook him as a F/S prospect. For a player who missed the national draft, was overlooked as a F/S pick, and got picked up as a rookie, he's certainly got that polish you'd expect from a 20-40 ND pick.

There's a bit of Saad about him. I remember watching Saady in the preseason and thinking 'this kid will go places'. McPherson is my pick for an early senior upgrade.

I'd be pretty confident in saying that Kade will be played solely as a rebounding defender. His time on the wing has come to an end after the failed experiment last year.
How has Koladjashnig on the wing failed? Didn't most of his high disposal count games come from playing on the wing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back