Kyabram DFL 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

At a guess think 3 guys kicking 100+ has happened quiete regularly in KDL. Yze, P.Meka, A.Meka, S.Laporta, J.Canavan, T.Wayman, Kelett?, Excell, Irwin? Excell. surely they would have done it at some stage

Exell, 3 seasons, 3 tons, 2 Flags, 1 R/U. May have been only short, but none of the others have that strike rat

Agree Hank. Exell was a gun wherever he played. Injury cost him a GF in 89 with Geelong. His injury helped cost Rochy a flag against Echuca in late 90s, (i think) and he was brilliant for Stanhope. Would pick him over the others listed anyday. Proven at many levels.

Agree Hank. Exell was a gun wherever he played. Injury cost him a GF in 89 with Geelong. His injury helped cost Rochy a flag against Echuca in late 90s, (i think) and he was brilliant for Stanhope. Would pick him over the others listed anyday. Proven at many levels.

One of the all time great country footballers. His young bloke is one hell of a good kid..I'm glad he played at Stanhope and had a good season

Irwin and Loveless played mid 90s , Meka early 90 s to mid 2000 , Excell early 2000 s .

So.....
Who does everyone think was the best??
I spoke to my old man and he rated Loveless and Meka as true great forwards ever! I was way to young to remember but I'm keen to hear if anyone agrees with him a few comments have already been made. The old fella played FB so I guess he would have a bit of say but that is his opinion.

Last edited:
So.....
I spoke to my old man and he rated Loveless and Meka as true great forwards ever! I was way to young to remember but I'm keen to hear if anyone agrees with him a few comments have already been made. The old fella played FB so I guess he would have a bit of say but that is his opinion.
Meka and Loveless both similar personalities never far away from controversy, big Shane a man mountain with huge talent some of his antics had to be seen to be believed , a true character.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee I kick started some great comments about some great forwards But no one has mentioned big Aron James wasn't he a man mountain but I'll stick with Exell as the best I've seen in the Kdl

Meka and Loveless both similar personalities never far away from controversy, big Shane a man mountain with huge talent some of his antics had to be seen to be believed , a true character.

'Antics' is an interesting description of Big Shane's efforts on the field onepercentre. I didn't see a lot of him in KDFL but recall him at Tat mid-80's spitting in the face of Rochy 1st gamer Warren 'wok' Martin. Followed up with a right hook to the jaw ... all before the 1st bounce. Believe he was arrested at half time at Tonny around the same time. A female Tonny supporter questioned his manhood. Large Shane allegedly decided to take matters into his own hands, so to speak. I believe he was on the wrong end of a stoush with Mick Lovison in the same game. Could certainly play though. No doubt.

Last edited:
'Antics' is an interesting description of Big Shane's efforts on the field onepercentre. I didn't see a lot of him in KDFL but recall him at Tat mid-80's spitting in the face of Rochy 1st gamer Warren 'wok' Martin. Followed up with a right hook to the jaw ... all before the 1st bounce. Believe he was arrested at half time at Tonny around the same time. A female Tonny supporter questioned his manhood. Large Shane allegedly decided to take matters into his own hands, so to speak. I believe he was on the wrong end of a stoush with Mick Lovison in the same game. Could certainly play though. No doubt.
Didn't they need to sow two jumpers together when he played at Nagambi ? Was him or Meka that ran the famous Harly raffle at Tonny ?

So.....
Excell and Loveless both had solid VFL/AFL careers, Pez...well...he did accompany Adem Yze on to the MCG for his final game. As far as sheer brilliance and adaptability it would be hard to go past Excell. He was part of an unstoppable Northern United outfit in the BFL and was, grudgingly, a joy to watch. I personally believe that he was the best KDFL forward in the last twenty years.

Didn't they need to sow two jumpers together when he played at Nagambi ? Was him or Meka that ran the famous Harly raffle at Tonny ?
Meka was involved in the Harley at tonny contraversy in 1997 his heart also allegedly stopped on the ground in game at Tonny. The two jumpers sown together for Shane also occured at Kyabram and it was a lace up from memory .
Saw Exell play the best game I've seen in country footy at echuca in a inter league match v GVFL in the 80's . Absolutely dominated . Although the KDFL thread I would suggest locally when comparing similar type players mega was a fair way off tank McPhee or Mick Souter , whilst loveless probably wasn't far of stuhldrier .

Last edited:
Meka was involved in the Harley at tonny contraversy in 1997 his heart also allegedly stopped on the ground in game at Tonny. The two jumpers sown together for Shane also occured at Kyabram and it was a lace up from memory .
Saw Exell play the best game I've seen in country footy at echuca in a inter league match v GVFL in the 80's . Absolutely dominated . Although the KDFL thread I would suggest locally when comparing similar type players mega was a fair way off tank McPhee or Mick Souter , whilst loveless probably wasn't far of stuhldrier .

Great discussion. And yes it is across threads because many of these blokes played KDFL, GVFL,or MFL. I still reckon Exell is the best in KDFL ... Can't have Meka as he caused trouble everywhere he went, and simply wasn't as good as Ex. All of the blokes mentioned were gun players lets face it.

Great discussion. And yes it is across threads because many of these blokes played KDFL, GVFL,or MFL. I still reckon Exell is the best in KDFL ... Can't have Meka as he caused trouble everywhere he went, and simply wasn't as good as Ex. All of the blokes mentioned were gun players lets face it.
Would definitely have Excell before Meka , ex Melbourne and Collingwood player Robbie Walters was a gun forward four time leading goal kicker in the Kdl two tons at Murch in the late 80s and coached Merrigum to a flag in 1990 and kicked the ton.

Does Damien Yze hold the record for the most goals in a Season? He was in his prime when played at Ardy couple finals I watched that year he was brilliant. Set shot or Snaps from the goal front or long distance. From memory kicked 10 in the GF from Centre half forward to sink Lanky who went in undefeated. Id say he was the most dominant a player has been in a Season in the KD given he played alot of half forward and kicked 140 odd.

Does Damien Yze hold the record for the most goals in a Season? He was in his prime when played at Ardy couple finals I watched that year he was brilliant. Set shot or Snaps from the goal front or long distance. From memory kicked 10 in the GF from Centre half forward to sink Lanky who went in undefeated. Id say he was the most dominant a player has been in a Season in the KD given he played alot of half forward and kicked 140 odd.
Craig Whelan passed Perry's old record a couple of years ago I thought.

His brother Rama was given the nod as b o g that day puzzled a few But you are right a gun he was he went on to kick tons in the Gvl and also In suburban footy not sure about last year but kicked a ton for west Footscray in 2014 cheers spud !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back