Game Day Intra club match @Whitten Oval 9:30 am.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bradley lynch has elite skills both side of the body! He is gonna be a gun
This is what i was impressed with from watching the last half of 1st/first half of 2nd quarters before my kids cracked the shits.

Daniel sounds like a weapon with the ball, but what about without? What's his defensive game like?

Fair question , DR . Can't say that I see him tackle a lot at this stage but he is a dermined little bugger so don't think its a problem.
He looked to be covering the ground well yesterday as you would expect with another pre season under his belt.
But I love blokes that are calm with ball in hand , and he is one.

Fair question , DR . Can't say that I see him tackle a lot at this stage but he is a dermined little bugger so don't think its a problem.
He looked to be covering the ground well yesterday as you would expect with another pre season under his belt.
But I love blokes that are calm with ball in hand , and he is one.
Yeah agree, he has to be in the mix for round 1. I didn't have him quite in my best 22, but yesterday puts him in but given it was just an intra club, it's a bit wait and see.

I think at times he is so good, so much time, that he is over confident and can make an error, but gee he gets a lot of footy and is mostly very neat with it.

I think there is some good competition for that small forward/mid role. Hunter broke last year, so he's the man to beat, Hrovat impressed yesterday, is very quick. Caleb Daniel gets a lot of footy, is very smart and then Honeychurch is perhaps just behind that group. All bring something a little different, prob only room for one perhaps 2 in the side at the same time. See how it goes but these guys could keep Adcock out of the team.

CD played the defensive forward on the top line a number of times last year. His ability to close down switches due to his whirlwind legs caused trouble a number of times.

I could no be more impressed with our pre-season.

The thing I took out of yesterday was that Darymple has nailed it..

Gurtz looked like Tipped when he first started...
Lynch is a massive chance to play round 1.
Dunkley looks like a 200 game player very similar to Wally as I think someone else said.
Campbell is first ruck...
Daniels is a class above Vfl and must play AFL
Murphy looks better than last year.
Bonti is all class and the game slows down as he gets it..
Libba was fantastic didnt try to much played within himself

And now for the real good news.....
I went with a mate who just retired from the cats and we both sat there smiling as Stringer did whatever he wanted..my friend said quote "this guy is the real deal haven't seen that since Ablett Snr :)

Also interesting that he said the word was with Libba back our on-ballers are going to be hard to stop.

Bonti
Libba
Walliss
Dal
Stringer
McCrae
Hunter
Stevens
Daniel

Dunkley looks like a 200 game player very similar to Wally as I think someone else said.

I went with a mate who just retired from the cats and we both sat there smiling as Stringer did whatever he wanted..my friend said quote "this guy is the real deal haven't seen that since Ablett Snr :)

Also interesting that he said the word was with Libba back our on-ballers are going to be hard to stop.

Bonti
Libba
Walliss
Dal
Stringer
McCrae
Hunter
Stevens
Daniel

Huge call for Lynch playing round one. Won't happen.

Bonti
Libba
Walliss
Dal
Stringer
McCrae
Hunter
Stevens
Daniel

I'm going to say it and know I'll be punished for it but you forgot Jong.... :)

Anything interesting structurally or gameplan wise or was it just a bit of hit and giggle?
It is very difficult to assess a clear game plan when the two teams are probably playing the same way. There was plenty of zoning/flooding when the ball was deep in the forward lines, at several stages almost all 36 players were within the 50 metre arc. This is hardly a new tactic. The best footy was played when teams came through the centre corridor with fast runs and multiple handpasses. This was similar to last year. Other than that, I'll leave game plan analysis to the experts.
Understandably, you wouldn't describe the tackling as fierce but the game was played with good intensity. There were times when the pace eased off but the high humidity that was present during the first half may have caused some fatigue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So does Goetz look like he will be a ruckman, a CHF, a FF or a ruckman/resting tall forward?

to be honest, he looked pretty composed leading to both the forward entry balls heading his way, He strongly marked them and kicking was pretty good, he gets penetration on his kicks.

I can see him pinch hitting forward tbh honnest he has the weapons to do so.

Anything interesting structurally or gameplan wise or was it just a bit of hit and giggle?
It had good intensity I thought. Dunno if it was just me but because team Blue had Murphy and Wood the scoring seemed a bit more structured. More run from HB and then hit up targets. Having said that they had a target in Redpath and Goezt and CD hit them up beautifully a few times. Team white appeared a bit more haphazard. Lots of run and carry and opportune goals from in the 25m. So more to suit Stringer. A couple of things I noticed though not overly different from last year were lots of defending / blocking the man on the mark so the guy with the ball can play on most of the time. They always look for the inboard handball into the corridor sometimes they were doing it without even looking if anyone was there. Think the expectation is that someone must work to be there. This caught them out a few times cos obviously the other team knew they were going to do that.
Bont went third man up a few times but there did seem less of that. Webb had a fair punt of time in the guts and I didn't think he was a bad as some others have mentioned. Most of his disposals were under pressure.

I feel like with the extra attention added to Libba and Bont this year. Macrae is one who can fly under the radar and be a real Brownlow medal smokey! I wonder what his odds are ?
I agree. Just goes about his business racking them up. Half of his own club supporters don't notice him so umpires may not either.

Bonti
Libba
Walliss
Dal
Stringer
McCrae
Hunter
Stevens
Daniel

And now former Cat players are comparing Stringer to Ablett snr - glad I'm not the only one :D

Thanks for all the reports everyone. No massive surprises but Honey's clean ball use a surprise - lower intensity a factor, has he improved? Can he improve? I like Honey's attitude as that and his low skills reminds me of a young Picken.

Redpaths dominance is an optimist-pessimist conundrum. Has he improved that much?? Or are our tall backs that bad? As I don't rate Redders much beyond gap fill pre-Boyd, the answer seems clear to me....hope they all prove me wrong.

Good to see Caleb win more fans - I must get on him for the Rising Star.

Is there any way to get Stringers set shot stats from the first half of last year compared to the second half of last year? Seemed like he was pretty reliable to me in the second half of the year, and apart from the first half of last year has been pretty reliable across his career.

Is there any way to get Stringers set shot stats from the first half of last year compared to the second half of last year? Seemed like he was pretty reliable to me in the second half of the year, and apart from the first half of last year has been pretty reliable across his career.

Yeah he's actually a very good set shot now. Our most reliable after Dickson. If anyone on our team is taking a set shot from 50 out you'd want it to be Stringsy

417675-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

It is very difficult to assess a clear game plan when the two teams are probably playing the same way. There was plenty of zoning/flooding when the ball was deep in the forward lines, at several stages almost all 36 players were within the 50 metre arc. This is hardly a new tactic. The best footy was played when teams came through the centre corridor with fast runs and multiple handpasses. This was similar to last year. Other than that, I'll leave game plan analysis to the experts.
Understandably, you wouldn't describe the tackling as fierce but the game was played with good intensity. There were times when the pace eased off but the high humidity that was present during the first half may have caused some fatigue.
Spot on DB, the zone/press appeared more aggressive than last year with all players pushing up further however with out the tackling ferocity it was a bit dancing with your sister like.....

It had good intensity I thought. Dunno if it was just me but because team Blue had Murphy and Wood the scoring seemed a bit more structured. More run from HB and then hit up targets. Having said that they had a target in Redpath and Goezt and CD hit them up beautifully a few times. Team white appeared a bit more haphazard. Lots of run and carry and opportune goals from in the 25m. So more to suit Stringer. A couple of things I noticed though not overly different from last year were lots of defending / blocking the man on the mark so the guy with the ball can play on most of the time. They always look for the inboard handball into the corridor sometimes they were doing it without even looking if anyone was there. Think the expectation is that someone must work to be there. This caught them out a few times cos obviously the other team knew they were going to do that.
Bont went third man up a few times but there did seem less of that. Webb had a fair punt of time in the guts and I didn't think he was a bad as some others have mentioned. Most of his disposals were under pressure.
I also noticed it a few times, but aren't they going to start cracking down on that this year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back