Autopsy North Melbourne v Western Bulldogs - Rd 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Some of our players looked very tired, Efficiency won us the game.
Goldy had a poor game by his standards but with all our travel of late he needs a a good rest this week.

Defense was amazing, however they Dont have a KPF to trouble any of our backs. I think almost all our defenders won their match up.
Thommo bent stringer over.

Wells fantastic with 13 in the first but only 14 for the rest of the game.
Cunnington good
JZ pretty good.
Swallow pretty good.

Waite, well i'm amazed at some of his marks.
LT is so out of form its not even funny at the moment.
Petrie Solid
Brown OK

NDS having little impact
NDS two turnovers kicks in the thrid had me frothing at the mouth.

Great coaching performance I thought, the plus one worked a treat. Years ago -thinking back to the Gold Coast game where mckenzie had 400 kicks as the plus one - some would have been calling for Scotts head, brilliant performance.

Kicking was awful at stages again but our defense was ******* immense. Really pleased with them. Need to watch the quick kick out of the pack into the middle. Always go towards the boundary.

To be fair, the Bulldogs really missed Murphy, Suckling and Johannisen. Luckily they found worthy replacements in Donlon, Bannister, and Pannell
My initial thought is, who are they? Then I think if opposition supporters asked the same of Clarke, Dumont and Mountford this place would be white all over. So meh. Good for them.

EDIT yes okay they were the umps. Shoot me in the groin with a tranq gun. Please.

Last edited:
Scott: The game wasn't too far off what we expected #aflnorthdogs

Scott: The contest was a big focus for us tonight. When it's hot in there you don't get attractive spectacles #aflnorthdogs
https://twitter.com/hashtag/aflnorthdogs?src=hash
Scott: Our defenders were terrific tonight #aflnorthdogs
Scott: It will take a little while for this rule (deliberate), but the spirit of it is right #aflnorthdogs
Scott: In January last year we had less than half the squad available. This year we've had great availability #aflnorthdogs
Scott: Kayne has a hamstring problem. I've given up diagnosing injuries at press conferences, we'll find out how serious it is #aflnorthdogs
Scott: Self belief takes a long time. At the moment our group has real confidence in what we're trying to do #aflnorthdogs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Missing that soda was a disgrace and he needs to get the monkey off his back, shaping up as the worst 300 gamer ever, most of his marks were in the back half.
Thats a shocking call...........this is a bloke who has served the club greatly and you say that? Bad call there D2D.

Round_6_Sidebar_stat_Roos_2904.jpg

My initial thought is, who are they? Then I think if opposition supporters asked the same of Clarke, Dumont and Mountford this place would be white all over. So meh. Good for them.
Not sure if serious. They're umpires.

Don't typically venture on other boards but just wanted to say... you defeated them structurally, and skills were far better, never really looked out of control of the game... yet all the bloody commentators said were how good "these Doggies" are and how brave Beveridge is and how The Package is the game breaker. No - Waite and Petrie were the game breakers and your tackling won the game.

Anyway well done on 6-0, hopefully see you in September.
The older heads here are used to it.......seriously. The key is everyone else here , players as well, playing as though they dont need it.

I forgot that Thompson was actually a good defender, I apologise Scotty.

I know Jacobs turned it over a little (so did everyone), but his attack on the football was absolutely awesome, saved a few goals and helped us get a few attacking the football like a maniac.

I forgot that Thompson was actually a good defender, I apologise Scotty.

I know Jacobs turned it over a little (so did everyone), but his attack on the football was absolutely awesome, saved a few goals and helped us get a few attacking the football like a maniac.

Some shocking disposal from him... but gee, that mark was just nuts to the wall tough.

Some shocking disposal from him... but gee, that mark was just nuts to the wall tough.
It's his decision making, it's not quite right when he has time, under pressure and when he reacts without thinking about it too long, he typically goes better, i.e. tagging and contested stuff.

It's his decision making, it's not quite right when he has time, under pressure and when he reacts without thinking about it too long, he typically goes better, i.e. tagging and contested stuff.

That's the frustrating thing, it's not skill, it's all in his head. I actually think his disposal (decision) is worse now than when he was in the backline. Frustrating.

Aside from the obvious positives in Waite and Wells I think a couple of players efforts tonight have been generally underrated in the GD, votes and this thread.

I thought the skip lead from the front and was ******* immense all night. 23 touches, 8 clearances and 14 tackles in a game where we were beaten in clearances and Cunnington and Ziebell were poor to average is as sure a sign as any that the Swallow is back to somewhere near his best. His efforts in tight all night were relentless and he didn't give their midfielders any time to get clean clearances. A decisive factor in the fact that although they won the clearances, they scored 3 less goals than us from those clearances.

Big Drew was outstanding at making a contest when outnumbered, bringing the ball to ground for our crumbers or holding the ball up to allow us to reset and not allow easy entries back into their 50. I know it get says a lot, but he is one of the best key forwards in the competition at creating a contest and playing the team game. Sure, he can miss some goals he should kick, but his ability to either hold the ball or at least create a contest on our transition out of defence sure as s**t saves goals being kicked against us.

I know I'm a little biased towards Benny J and I tend to overlook some of his deficiencies but I thought, yet again this season, he did some really nice things and won some contests he had no right to win against bigger players or when he was outnumbered. I don't think he was tagging tonight so I'm not blaming him for some of their mids having it on a string and I know he can make some strange decisions sometimes but I thought, like most of the season, he was a solid contributor tonight (and that mark back with teh flight of the ball is not something you would have seen from him a few seasons ago).

EDIT: Another thing about Benny is that when he's around the ball he's really disciplined in his positioning in our stoppage structure. This can be really underrated and one of the reasons Greenwood didn't get a game for a long time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back