Autopsy North Melbourne v Western Bulldogs - Rd 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Was a very solid win. We have a Plan B and executed. Never seen such tackling tenacity. To be honest I wasn't sure if we had the ability to sustain such pressure for four quarters. Impressive and very reassuring.

Bulldogs needed Tom Boyd to straighten them up and FWIW I think they would have beaten 15 other sides last night, despite their hack kicking into their forward line. Just sayin.

Was a very solid win. We have a Plan B and executed. Never seen such tackling tenacity. To be honest I wasn't sure if we had the ability to sustain such pressure for four quarters. Impressive and very reassuring.

Bulldogs needed Tom Boyd to straighten them up and FWIW I think they would have beaten 15 other sides last night, despite their hack kicking into their forward line. Just sayin.
And KPD. The reason why the use the footy so much is to protect from turnover so as to not expose their defenders one on one. This then gives good teams time to get back whilst still pressuring the ball carrier meaning forward entries are going to be difficult to execute successfully. A Boyd or whoever is going to struggle with s**t entries so they eventually will need to start playing more direct. This then exposes their defence and hence why they need to develop all KPP and not just forwards. Make no mistake, the dogs have awesome building blocks and will be a genuine contender as soon as they lock in some KPP, as long as they open the play up a bit when they do.

240812_ef727a97e64e4246ce373f52c33ada61.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big lol gained from a quick peruse of the Footscray board.

- They're claiming a moral victory; "Of course Norf fans should also realise that we played like pure garbage and they still only managed the ten goals. They haven't lost anyone near as important as we have either" "We will keep on going, Norf won't even make top 4 & you can bookmark that" etc.
- Blaming umpiring..... well **** me dead.
Finey saying on SEN last night that they are missing 6 of their best 22. This included Murphy and Crameri. He may as well say we were missing Carey and Schwass, both going to have just as much impact this season. Also, did anyone else miss the memo of how and when Caleb Daniel became an A grader.

Well coached last night. The dogs had more around most contests and got more posies as they freed up the extra man but we tackled like hell and our defence didn't get sucked into the contest so the Doggies were forced to bomb it in. Less experienced sides would have even numbers up at the contest and allowed fast break footy.

Finey saying on SEN last night that they are missing 6 of their best 22. This included Murphy and Crameri. He may as well say we were missing Carey and Schwass, both going to have just as much impact this season. Also, did anyone else miss the memo of how and when Caleb Daniel became an A grader.

Seriously, I would rather be missing a couple of players that you have been able to name replacements for, than lose a player for basically the entire game, and another for a good part of the game. Ironically, it was our much derided age that allowed us the strength to play with reduced rotations.

As Gerard said to Robbo during the week when he was bemoaning the Dogs outs, you don't lose players entirely from the 22, you get to replace them, albeit for potentially a lesser player. When you lose a player during the game, you don't get to replace them, something we didn't get nearly enough credit for, considering Tim Watson basically write us off based on this fact.

To be honest I wasn't sure if we had the ability to sustain such pressure for four quarters.
I've been nodding along to everyone's comments, thinking "Yeah, thought the same. Thought the same." then this comment and I realised, "Yeah, that's right, it was a four quarter effort." We never gave them a sniff (sorry for the pun) and, as you say, the tackling pressure all night was fantastic.

I reckon the only area letting us down this year is singing the song. We are seriously missing some gusto, but I reckon we're pacing ourselves for the finals here. No point overdoing the singing right now.

We're even pacing ourselves with smiling this year. Brad is setting a strong tone here and only lets out a small one, occasionally. Spitta and Jack showing some strong "We mean business" non-smiling and even Luke has really matured in this respect.

Relentless forward pressure is allowing our defenders to pick forward entries off.

Thompson, Ferrito, Mcdonald and Ately are great at picking sloppy entries off and giving our talks and small forwards repeat entries off the rebound.

It a great lil recipe.

Tackle, chase hard and pressure up forward, and if the ball makes it to our defenders it will be sloppy pocked off and the forwards will get the ball back with interest.

Good times

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back