Review R6: Port v Richmond Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there anything better than beating the biggest bunch of campaigners in the league? Chaplin, Grigg, Martin, Miles, Batchelor, Morris, Riewoldt, Vickery, Cotchin, our old mate Rance even though he didn't play and let's not forget Brandon ******* Ellis. campaigners one and all. So sweet.

While far from perfect, it was fantastic to see the pressure and some passion back in our game.

Really brilliant effort tonight from everyone really.

Like Schulzenfest said, everyone seemed to step up in the absense of Robbie and do their bit to make us very effective from the clearances. Ollie and Broady in particular used their bigger bodies to great effect. We swapped it up in the ruck quite well and despite an absolute spanking in the raw hitout stat, I doubt there was a whole lot in the hitouts to advantage. We neutralised that quite well for the first time. Lobbe is staying in the 2s.

Let's not sugar coat anything, Richmond were absolute trash. They gave us the ball and we punished them for the most part, but that's what good teams do. It was great to see us finish off some goals after taking the ball away from them.

Still some big question marks over ball movement from me, but there were a couple of brilliant coast to coast goals and that's usually a sign that you're confident and well on top.

A few player reviews:

Polec - Answered in emphatic fashion. He just ran the game in the first half, getting his teammates involved and finding avenues through Richmond's setup. Used it so well! Probably my best.

Westhoff - Baby steps back to relevance for Justin. We know he's a confidence player, and I really wish he'd slotted that one he tried to handball over the top, but he found his marking touch again. He didn't always present well but just kept himself involved. Would have been high in our rebound 50s I imagine.

Krakouer - God we missed him. Just a cool head and makes such good decisions with the ball. Did anyone think for a second that he'd miss that bomb off one foot after being spotted up by Polec? Good to see our two best ball users connecting for a fantastic goal.

Impey - We might have found a good little role for him as a forward in that Monfries negating role. Got involved and pressured and ended up lighting up the scoreboard. Great effort and comeback from him.

Hombsch - Nullified my biggest fear of us being smashed by their tall forwards with 20 1%ers. 20. Absolutely massive. Along with the Hoff dropping back and the half backs mopping up with a lot of poise, he was an absolute rock for us.

As for my initial worry that we weren't tall enough - We still weren't. We just weren't going forward. We still ended up kicking to mismatches far too often, and it was only Richmond's famous shitness that saved us. We worked hard to break bad situations even, and we punished them when they inevitably gave the ball back to us, but that wont happen every week. We scored from turnovers when Richmond were out of position. On the plus side, we actually seemed to lower our eyes a bit more for the first time all year instead of just trying to sit it on Charlie's head all day, and surprise surprise, we found targets. If we can do that while actually playing adequate talls, we'll be laughing.

I very much doubt Butcher comes in, but with Trengove returning and Hoff hopefully finding some form, we might be pretty dangerous going forward next week.

Since everyone's usually so quick to bash the umpires on an off night I'll go the other way and say this was the most well-officiated game I've seen in a while. Aside from that goal umpire's call on Wines' GOTY contender I thought for the overwhelming majority of the game they let it flow and didn't play any soft frees.

Agreed.

Interestingly not one deliberate OOB. Personally I like it that way. But f*** me one game is umpired completely differently to another. AFL have lost the plot on rule changes.

When Jars the Imp was in Hong Kong with Bobby for Grand Final weekend last year I ribbed him for not having kicked a goal from a set shot to that time. The laugh's on me and I don't mind one little bit.

lobbe is irrelevant now.

dixon, westhoff, howard as a trio are more suited to our best football than he is. they wont win the hitouts on a consistent basis, but they are actually capable of doing things around the ground. contested marks coming out of defence from dixon was a beautiful thing. westhoff is versatile, and dougal can leap and win clean hitouts, and then compete when the ball hits the ground.

darcy byrne jones is so good. hits hard, is clean, accurate disposal, makes the right decisions. would have gone unnoticed, but when richmond had a bit of a run on, they were breaking through the centre and had loose players inside 50, but darce pressured the kick on the mark enough to stop their run on and we ended up winning the footy back. THAT is team football. but he also releases broadbent upfield where he can of more service, and it showed with him playing a great game.

polec when in that form is untouchable. lets hope he backs it up next week.

sam gray is so frustrating, he is so untidy when going for the ground ball, which should be his strength. less said about his disposal the better.

boak, wines and hartlett to a lesser extent were pivotal, and i think having no lobbe made them more accountable for winning the footy, and got the best out of them.

krakouer is such a good footballer, and makes us a much much better team.

jonas still frustrates with his clumsy style, but can kill a contest well.

have never rated impey that highly, but looks more comfortable up forward than in a back pocket. set shots were great for someone who doesnt take them.

others

ah chee was pretty good, hombsh was good, o shea had a good game, young has finally cemented himself in 22.

pittard wasnt as good as he has been, but thats a testament to hope good he has been. was still great tonight.

feels so good to win again, lets keep going.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aston-Villa-v-Manchester-United.jpg

If that's how we are going to win against a team that is a rabble, god help us..... still had so many errors and turnovers, lucky it was against a side who did just as many as we did...... next week looks to be the same.

Still a lot of work to do...... if we were any good, we would of beaten them by 100points....

So ugly... yet so pretty.

Every player got their hands dirty tonight. Waves of support for each other. Even in the dying moments they were still throwing themselves at it.

Ah, stuff the analysis, I'm just gonna enjoy the win tonight.

Oh, and, we need a GIF of Charlie Jordaning the Sherrin with one hand...

This is aimed at the posters who filled our board with slagging the selections off, the coaching and etc and said we'd be beaten easily.

Enjoy that. That was the perfect line up for the oppo and the players played for the coach and each other. That's all we need. Now back the guys in and here's the chance to turn the season around

Yep, I thought we were gonna get smashed.

Worries me how cohesive and team-oriented we were without Gray and Wingard (among others) tonight. The theories that too many are content to sit back and expect those two to win games off their own boot might carry some weight.

Put Schulz back in, Dixon roams and helped ruck, why on earth would Lobbe come back in and tap to the opposition all day and drop marks, how good was Dixon grabbing marks coming out of defence? Which is what Ryder did last yr. Lobbe's days are numbered, rather play Howard.

You bloody ripper. Full credit to Ken and the selection board. A weight has been lifted.
Far Kern good user name to post content ratio there.:D

They got it right, changed it up, went with run and smashed it at selection and on the night. Dougs a brave choice gave us much more all over the park than Lobes would have. Pretty much seven medium defenders and only 59 points against, we generated huge amounts of run and end to end goals for the first time this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back