2nds VFL Round 4 - Geelong v Coburg, Sunday 1pm @ Simonds

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you think I would do nothing if there is even the slighted possibility that someone else could claim him, I did it several weeks ago.
I am a joint claimant!

Watched first 3 quarters. Too cold to hang around. My thoughts.

Buzza played deep back. Looked much more at home as the ball came to him. Seemed to be enjoying things until one horrendous clanger that gifted a goal. Good to see Cowan run to him and tell him something (probably along the lines of "that is the lot of a defender get used to it"). A good change up by the selection people.
Smedts survived a couple of solid tackles. Most kicking in blustery conditions was good. Got a fair bit of it.
Cowan relatively quiet. Links well. was played at half back again. Not the running half back though. That was left to :
Sexton- short but quick and knows how to get around the park. played well IMO. On the watch file.
GHS- Good honest game as usual. In and under as usual. Important to this team. Very good depth player.
Hayball- quiet but when he gets it i think there is class there. One top shelf 40m pass, one snap under extreme pressure in a gale that split the goal.
Parsons - quiet but still shows why they picked him occasionally.
Gardner - Down back (after being thrown forward last time i saw him play) so thats good. Quiet but made no obvious mistakes nor towelled up.
Cornell- much better up forward and on ball. very nice kick - good depth. Doesn't mind a scrap
Mudoch- slow start but his class began to show. one of those reflex snaps for a goal (as we have seen against hawks mainly). Played well in third Q (hope it continued).
Luxford - half forward / wing. Does some nice things but still not enough at this level
Lucey - One nice grab and goal. Not enough around the ground.

Very even performance really even the VFL squad players seem to know their role and do OK when its their turn.

Watched first 3 quarters. Too cold to hang around. My thoughts.

Buzza played deep back. Looked much more at home as the ball came to him. Seemed to be enjoying things until one horrendous clanger that gifted a goal. Good to see Cowan run to him and tell him something (probably along the lines of "that is the lot of a defender get used to it"). A good change up by the selection people.
Smedts survived a couple of solid tackles. Most kicking in blustery conditions was good. Got a fair bit of it.
Cowan relatively quiet. Links well. was played at half back again. Not the running half back though. That was left to :
Sexton- short but quick and knows how to get around the park. played well IMO. On the watch file.
GHS- Good honest game as usual. In and under as usual. Important to this team. Very good depth player.
Hayball- quiet but when he gets it i think there is class there. One top shelf 40m pass, one snap under extreme pressure in a gale that split the goal.
Parsons - quiet but still shows why they picked him occasionally.
Gardner - Down back (after being thrown forward last time i saw him play) so thats good. Quiet but made no obvious mistakes nor towelled up.
Cornell- much better up forward and on ball. very nice kick - good depth. Doesn't mind a scrap
Mudoch- slow start but his class began to show. one of those reflex snaps for a goal (as we have seen against hawks mainly). Played well in third Q (hope it continued).
Luxford - half forward / wing. Does some nice things but still not enough at this level
Lucey - One nice grab and goal. Not enough around the ground.

Very even performance really even the VFL squad players seem to know their role and do OK when its their turn.

good stuff, thank you catswhiskers :thumbsu:

W4nc9HU.jpg

Cornell with 3….. Want to see more of him…
Hyphen again in the best and kicking goals.

Depth… Such a nice feeling to have some…

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was freezing, raining and a bit challenging to completely focus on the ins and outs of the game so probably just some brief thoughts on the game and players.
I know it's a Vfl game but we are an afl club striving for greatness we could make it a little better obviously can't control the weather and the demolition sites everywhere. Some suggestions:
Having at least one of the big screens on
Opening the cats shop
Letting people onto the field for a kick and to listen in at the breaks
More food options other than pies or hot dogs
Cats fans turning up there were almost more Coburg fans there
There were notably a lot less cats officials and/or players there or they were not visible (had a big night?) Vardy was there watching in the crowd.
It was a good win they controlled the game and never really looked like losing Coburg came back a bit in the last quarter but the game was already over by then. Coburg have some big strong players as is often the case with stand alone teams compared to the often youngsters in afl aligned Vfl teams. The Geelong Vfl players were certainly strong at the contest and vocal at times and looked to be sticking to structure and playing their role.
I still feel we lack some strong leadership in the team though like a James Byrne or Selwood we've had in the past.

Smedts was very good it was terrible conditions but his kicking was a class above others on the ground, tackled hard got involved in a lot plays and his pace was a real asset. Played midfield and forward much to the pleasure of most had a couple of shots at goal I think ended up with 1. Copped plenty of comments from over the fence by Geelong fans pretty rough stuff to be sledging players from your own team in the Vfl. He'll get a chance in the coming weeks as one of the rotating half forwards.

Buzza played in the back line which I think is a great learning tool for him read the play well applied good pressure hitting packs, tackling and zoned off his man at times to get to a contest. Is already a very good size and happy to throw his body around. Is only new to the game but has right attitude and some attributes his progression is certainly one to watch. And the club can afford to be very patient with him with a lot of key forwards ahead over him for the foreseeable future.

Hayball kicked a freak goal that the wind picked up and magically turned from nowhere into goal got into a lot of the right positions. Has good disposals when he got the ball was playing more outside the contest and had some more experienced competition there inMurdoch and Smedts.

Cornell was very good his kicking was very very good as I said the conditions were shocking but he kept the ball low when passing. Kicked. 3 goals got plenty of the ball and has decent enough size for a first year rookie one to watch. Hopefully he can be part of a decent midfield through the Vfl

Cowan didn't do a lot playing off half back got a bit of run at times also got caught a couple of times he plays better with better players around him. Considering the improvement in others around him his most recent time out means he has slipped back down the peaking order in my opinion. I like what he could bring to the team but not really sure what his role is at afl level. It was also a day you felt like an injury could come which I worried he or Smedts might get. Glad he got through the game and can keep building on that at this early stage he'd need to do a bit to stay on the list next year though you'd think.

Gardner I'm a big fan of his have watched him a few times now this year and I really like his potential as a player. He didn't get much of the ball but he reads the play very well, spoils and just looks like a defender he's a good size at 196. He's learning form Scarlett, Lonergan, Taylor, Henderson and kolo he's got some decent key defenders to learn from. He's very quiet and just seems to get his job done but I really like that we have a key defender and key forward (Buzza) developing in the Vfl.

Murdoch started slowly got into the game and his pace along with Smedts set him apart and helped to break through stoppages. Took a great mark in the backline but overall a bit disappointing didn't apply the same pressure as Smedts and others. I think it can be harder for outside players in a lower grade but he needs to concentrate on the little things.

GHS played mostly on the wing running in to the square got into good positions and lost his man very often, finds the ball all over the ground, his hands out of the contest were very good did all the things we know he can do and should get a game in the afl at some stage soon. I tried to look for things he wasn't doing as we know he's a good player and dominates for the team every week.
I thought his leadership could have been better he's the most experienced player we have out there been at the club for a long time now and played plenty of Vfl games. He was a captain through a lot of his cricket teams including junior Australian teams. That was something he could pick up which may help him get a spot and also help the Vfl team which is still to quiet.

Parsons didn't notice him a lot through the game so can't really report anything good or bad hopefully he and Cornell and look to fill the roles left by Gore and Jansen. Has there been any word on how they are going in Adelaide and Brisbane? Jansen has to be a long way down getting a chance in the Lions team.

Luxford had a quiet game not really sure what kind of player he is good enough kick little bit of pace don't know where he fits.

Lucey played across the ground didn't spend as much time in the ruck played a kick behind the lay spent time up forward, down back. He's improving gets to a lot of marking contests but didn't hold most of them still provided a good contest. Giving him a good education learning more about the game think he's a chance to eventually make it but will take time. Would love the cats to find a couple of running Irish defenders maybe Lucey can help out there.

Young and/or inexperienced players developing across the ground with a couple of more experienced players returning from injury or form good mix for a Vfl team.

Parsons didn't notice him a lot through the game so can't really report anything good or bad hopefully he and Cornell and look to fill the roles left by Gore and Jansen. Has there been any word on how they are going in Adelaide and Brisbane? Jansen has to be a long way down getting a chance in the Lions team.

From what I've read, Gore is doing well in Adelaide's seconds, picking up a lot of touches, but that's obviously a pretty hard side to break into with the way they're going.

Jansen would be the bigger disappointment. He leaves Geelong to find more opportunities at a weaker club, and it seems he's struggling to have much of an impact even at NEAFL level. Don't see him having much of a career.

From what I've read, Gore is doing well in Adelaide's seconds, picking up a lot of touches, but that's obviously a pretty hard side to break into with the way they're going.

Jansen would be the bigger disappointment. He leaves Geelong to find more opportunities at a weaker club, and it seems he's struggling to have much of an impact even at NEAFL level. Don't see him having much of a career.

From what i have heard Jansen playing NEAFL 2nds averaging around 7 disp a match

That's a shame about Jansen he could be delisted soon then. Even with the additions to the Geelong midfield he would've got a game here. If you're not going to get a senior game very soon moving to where the lower comp is much lower standard isn't going to help your development.

Good to see Buzza get a bit of the footy. Looked to find the going a bit tough in his first few games but hopefully a stint down back can give him a chance to get his hands on it and build a bit of confidence. Great experience for a young key forward to go back and understand how a defender thinks and plays.

Sounds like Cornell also played well. The game I watched a few weeks ago he was around the contest a lot but struggled to find the ball or have any impact. Perhaps he's slowly adjusting to the pace of senior footy. His 20 disposal 3 goal game on the weekend is a massive step up so hopefully he can build from here and string a few solid performances together.

Jansen is a better footballer than those stats suggest. He must be homesick or otherwise not producing to his potential.
He would be very handy in our VFL side right now (not that I disagree with his trade and the bringing in of a bunch of younger untried kids- had to happen).

Jansen is a better footballer than those stats suggest. He must be homesick or otherwise not producing to his potential.
He would be very handy in our VFL side right now (not that I disagree with his trade and the bringing in of a bunch of younger untried kids- had to happen).
If he has homesickness it makes me wonder why he agreed to move to a club that is about as far away as one can get from Perth.

I have my own suspicions about why Jansen left and I also have my own feelings about why he isn't playing that well.

And neither have much to do with homesickness.

But there are stories about him coming back from injury so he can have the benefit of the doubt in the short-term.

If he has homesickness it makes me wonder why he agreed to move to a club that is about as far away as one can get from Perth.

I have my own suspicions about why Jansen left and I also have my own feelings about why he isn't playing that well.

And neither have much to do with homesickness.

But there are stories about him coming back from injury so he can have the benefit of the doubt in the short-term.
I am interested in your theory

I am interested in your theory
Are you more interested in the "why he left" or the "why he isn't playing that well"?

Trust me when I say, neither are earth-shattering theories nor have I failed to mention them previously.

I simply doubt homesickness is an cause.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back