Autopsy Rd 6 Post Game Discussion - Carlton def Essendon by 15 points

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Casboult was very important to us today. He did great work from 40-100 out, which I think is his best go. He's quite good with his field kicking and if he didn't take those big marks up on the wing, it could have easily gone straight back the other way.
Thank god for you Paulski.

Casboults marking was vital, as was Phillips and Krooz.

Makes life so much easier if the big guys can pluck a few.

We're all too ready to use terms such as cooked when that's just not the case.

Also good for Bolton to persevere with Phillips as he was a clear stand-out throughout the pre-season.
He won't be the best ruck-man in the league but if he has his mind on the job, he can become a pretty handy utility around the ground.
Could've sworn you & I said, "watch out for Phillips" way back in November/December......errrrr, but I do get stuff wrong sometimes.:oops:

I'm still looking can't find one where are those Gibbs bashers ????
There will always be a few Gibbs trolls no matter how he performs, best just to ignore as its egg on their faces
Just so we're all on the same page here, Gibbs' role within the team is to raise his Trade Value to over and above what would be considered to be optimal. As long as he is doing this, which he did today, then I absolutely agree with you, there's no need to bash him.

774 commentators suggesting Phillips getting better with every game. He's barely played 20!
Wait until he's got about 50 under his belt. He'll be a whole different animal then.

Wright has far more AFL experience than Kerridge though..but yeah I rate him as a very solid citizen in the clinches - when Bolton put him in the middle along with Murph and Gibbs and Kreuzer ( and sent Graham off to somewhere he would do no damage to the team's momentum ) - we won those 3-4 center bounces in a row and goals ensued.

Want a view on Graham or is that a little too 'awkward' for the forum to digest after a win - well?:cool:
Graham was frustrating to watch today. At times he was too slow, then he'd lay a bone-crunching tackle, then he'd present softer than Everitt at a crucial contest, but only to be harder than nails at the next, then he'd turn the ball over by foot, followed by hitting a team mate at full tilt with 15m handball that went between 3 opponents. Wasn't on his Pat Malone in this regard today.

What a terrible game but great last 40 mins. Both teams were very poor, especially us dominating around the ground but had no way fwd and when we did made stupid mistakes or missed gettable shots.

Postives were:
1. Thomas - great game and hit the scoreboard. Ran well, used it very well and clearly best game for us
2. Curnow - heart and soul of the club. Has a job, does it well and then hurts opposition by also getting the ball. One of the first picked each week
3. Phillips - great game. Loved his competitiveness both in the air and on the ground. So much better than previous games.
4. Plowman and sumner. Plowman playes his role so well and while didnt notice him much he does everything right. Sumne again doesnt do alot but when he gets it things happen. Also tackles with intent.
5. Wright - been a great pickup. Tough and harrassed and kicking goals
6. Byrne - getting better each week. Probably best on at half time.

Negatives:
1. Casboult: time to call it and cut him no point having a fwd who cant kick. Been on the list so long and nothing has improved. Cut our losses.
2. Jones: no good and has a hog shot when 2 players on their own for the handball and easy goal. Disgusting
3. Murphy/gibbs: all the talent but wont/dont want to be an a grader who put a team on their back and win it for them. Piece of play in the last qtr where murphy was putrid. Didnt want the hard ball and gave a weakest attempt at a tackle, not good enough from your captain

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Are you serious ??? Gibbs was cose to if not BOG today and you still bag him. Watch the game again mate and get serious
If you dont like him then fine, but judge on performance ffs !

Yep - 16 posts in "That umpiring was atrocious". I'd like to be as sure of winning Lotto.....

You may have missed this gem a few posts later :

This season will be a massive pain in the dick to endure. I will not be attending any of the games.

Gibbs basher here.

My second live game this year and only at the venue can you appreciate what a liability he is. I ask you to watch carefully his contribution off the ball. He continually trails his man by 10 mtrs and concedes uncontested possessions that hurt us. If you want to see who the weak link in our team defence is then look no further.

Honestly his 3-4 good contributions per game mask a player that completely lacks intensity which is inexcusable for a player that has been playing for 10 years.
Obviously a troll or you have NFI !

Awesome to get 2 wins on the trot!

Really liked Phillips' game, and as many others have mentioned, Byrne was excellent again, he has it all this kid. Well done to Daisy and Gibbs who were both very good. Curnow, Murph and Simpson also good. The score line flattered them imo, we should have won by more.

One thing that is worrying me is that we seem to be very selfish in our forward line, too many guys burning teammates who are in a better position so that they can go for glory themselves. Guys running into an open goal being ignored etc. not a good look, especially since we have the worst conversion rate in the AFL.

The Kreuzer/Phillips combo is combining nicely. Absolutely stomped Leuenberger. Its not reflected in the stats but our hit outs (particularly in the centre) were to advantage whilst his were mostly hospital hitouts and looked like he had lead weights on his hands and feet towards to the end of the game.

Kreuzer marking well up the ground too. His first grab today on the lead took two tries. Clunked the next couple no probs. He's coming back into form guys.

Phillips was terrific. Clutch goal, great rucking and provides another marking target.

These two are part of the reason we've been transitioning the pill from defence to attack pretty well this year. Having two rucks is starting to pay dividends.
Agree. Think this ruck duo may come into greater effect towards the end of the season as the rucks that do it solo get more worn down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thank the Lord we won. Not least because sitting through the second quarter in particular entitled me to some kind of compo. Awful to watch.

Nonetheless it was a very good win in the end because they got a run on after we had dominated the game and in days gone by heads would have dropped, players gone missing, and defeat would have been snatched from the jaws of victory. No more . Two weeks in a row we have dug deep, stuck to our plan, and the leaders have stood up. We played tough footy and other than our forward line follies were brave with our ball use and pretty efficient too.

I have been a daisy backer but I did not think he was capable of what he showed today. Vintage Thomas. Great stuff and a boon for the team. Gibbs was excellent, Murphy led from the front, everybody contributed.

Phillips could well become a good ruckman and sumner has the makings of a star IMO.

Considering we lost weitering and have others out I think this season could turn out a lot better than expected.

And if BM123 does not mind me plagiarising his excellent earlier post:Suck a dick you cheats.

Could've sworn you & I said, "watch out for Phillips" way back in November/December......errrrr, but I do get stuff wrong sometimes.:oops:

Just so we're all on the same page here, Gibbs' role within the team is to raise his Trade Value to over and above what would be considered to be optimal. As long as he is doing this, which he did today, then I absolutely agree with you, there's no need to bash him.

Wait until he's got about 50 under his belt. He'll be a whole different animal then.

Graham was frustrating to watch today. At times he was too slow, then he'd lay a bone-crunching tackle, then he'd present softer than Everitt at a crucial contest, but only to be harder than nails at the next, then he'd turn the ball over by foot, followed by hitting a team mate at full tilt with 15m handball that went between 3 opponents. Wasn't on his Pat Malone in this regard today.
Anyone would think Graham has played less than 25 games with all of his inconsistency.

Docherty's spoil in the last few minutes running back with the flight was absolutely superb. I think I'm in love with Sumner, didn't get a lot of it but he just looks a footballer. His closing speed on a loose ball at one point was scary and I think he could become a great player. Jed Lamb has seriously improved and he just competes which is awesome. Ciaren Byrne might just be my favourite player right now, could be anything. Go baggers!

Thank god for you Paulski.

Casboults marking was vital, as was Phillips and Krooz.

Makes life so much easier if the big guys can pluck a few.
I hate Casboult whenever he has the ball to kick for goal. With an efficiency rate of 25% in front of goal he has to be the worst goal kicking forward of all the forwards in the competition. However he has other skills and he is reasonably tall. The coaches should reinvent him in another position on the ground. He has proven time and time again that he does not cut it as a goal kicking forward. It is just awful in the extreme to watch him kick for goal from a set shot.

Are you serious ??? Gibbs was cose to if not BOG today and you still bag him. Watch the game again mate and get serious
If you dont like him then fine, but judge on performance ffs !
Bryce was above serviceable today, don't let the stats flatter, he has been a lot better over the last two weeks compared to what he has been dishing up prior to that, BOG you say?? Nah better performers over the coarse of the game.

I missed the game today so i decided to read the game day thread to get a feel for the game. One thing that stood out was when we kick a goal the whole board is jubilant as soon Essendon kicked a goal the whole world came to an end it was like reading a bipolar commentary report.
I understand that this is just the manifestation of a passionate supporter base but to read it continuously was just incredible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back