Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has there been any word on whether the two SA (and WA) teams will get academy rights similar to those that the AFL have handed out to the Victorian clubs? I feel like in 10 years time the academy drafting system will be a crucial element in getting talent onto your list. I don't want Port to get stuffed like they were with the father son rulings on SANFL players.

I imagine it would be an easy transition for our Aboriginal academy to become our prioritised "zone". If it was already in place we would probably have Milera?

Has there been any word on whether the two SA (and WA) teams will get academy rights similar to those that the AFL have handed out to the Victorian clubs? ...?
What rights have been handed out to the Vics?

What rights have been handed out to the Vics?
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-03/victorian-clubs-handed-afl-funding-for-academies
"If clubs can help attract and develop some talent that would be under-represented and not normally find its way into the AFL pathway then they will have the ability to receive some incentive for that similar to the bidding system used for the northern academies."

If a club develops a young Australian from an Asian or African background and wants to draft them, then they will receive a discount on a basis similar to the current bidding system. Clubs will be able to apply for draft discounts on other youngsters from non-English speaking backgrounds if they develop the player in a similar manner.

Maric looks cooked it's a shame, ****** over by Craigy when he was at Adelaide really.. would've been better captain material than Cotchin when he was up and about.

Has there been any word on whether the two SA (and WA) teams will get academy rights similar to those that the AFL have handed out to the Victorian clubs? I feel like in 10 years time the academy drafting system will be a crucial element in getting talent onto your list. I don't want Port to get stuffed like they were with the father son rulings on SANFL players.

I imagine it would be an easy transition for our Aboriginal academy to become our prioritised "zone". If it was already in place we would probably have Milera?
WE will have the Academies like the Vic clubs. They are for immigrants basically to get Australians of other nationalities playing AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact Jobe still has the Brownlow just shows what a pathetic regime it is that is currently in power.
I just wish the NRL hierarchy that has just handed down the sanctions against Parramatta had been in charge of the Essendon debacle. It would have been fully dealt with by the end of 2013, players would have copped their penalties much sooner, and this whole sordid affair would have been long forgotten.

I just wish the NRL hierarchy that has just handed down the sanctions against Parramatta had been in charge of the Essendon debacle. It would have been fully dealt with by the end of 2013, players would have copped their penalties much sooner, and this whole sordid affair would have been long forgotten.
Nope.
With no research other than what I remember from Back Page last night Parramatta had been rorting the salary cap for 5 years so discovery/punishment is very delayed. And once the officials involved go, the fine is paid, and player payments are sorted Parramatta's season re-sets. From the same source I don't believe there's any penalties for the players.

Sorry if this discussion has already been had but can you explain this one for me? Because what I saw was: Isaac Smith gathered the ball, then he holds it against his chest with one hand and pounds it into himself with his other, then Sloane and others tackled him. So I would have thought he should be penalised as he had prior opportunity to dispose of the ball, but chose not to.
Well my only viewing of it was live on TV and as I said my view at the time was that he deliberately took the tackle looking for the ball up, pretty much as you describe. But your question contains the answer. The key points that the umpire would have considered were did he have prior opportunity and if not did he attempt to dispose of the ball. Put yourself on the opposite side of the contest, you don't see Smith brace the ball the way you have described. You see him take possession, you see him brace for impact, you see multiple tacklers immediately pin the ball to him, you see that he has no chance to get it out and blow the whistle early for a bounce. I think that all of this is a legitimate interpretation, if not what I actually saw. The only bit that I think really can be questioned would be to do with the instructions the umpires receive relating to the long drawn out cases were the player has to almost hump the ground pretending to try to get it out despite that just not being possible. Smith certainly wasn't forced to act for his life here.

I think that the decision was in fact wrong, but that it was entirely legitimate to make the call, and that it had nothing at all to do with any form of conspiracy.

At all the other umpire posts: AFL umpires simply don't favour teams the way so many recent posts here assert. It's ridiculous. Mistakes are made, such is life. None of them do it deliberately. To post a list of percentage of games were the home team has won the free kick count with no other analysis at all and attempt to draw conclusions from that is foolish. I can accept that a baying home crowd requires some getting used to, but a good experienced umpire would barely notice them at all. They certainly would not impact on decisions systematically.

Quote about Gillon regarding Watson's Brownlow

"so should it come to a decision having to be made on the medal, he has decided to excuse himself from any process."

Is it just me? This guy likes to delegate any tough decisions. Seriously weak as piss IMO
Said it b4 and I'm sure I'll say it again. He's a gutless wonder. Absolutely detest this pathetic excuse for a leader. End of rant.

No, he isn't the one who is pathetic. Every hero could do the job better - just ask them.

People whinged about Demetriou being a dictator now they're pulling themselves off over McLachlan not being one.

That's how it is when you're in charge.

Shits me that Petrie can do this

Bw2kjNyIUAEhQdW.jpg

and AFL 360 call him one of the games favourites and play this bloody clip but Tredrea is considered an arrogant idiot for doing the same thing.

The greater irony is David King did far worse and far more often "s**t" celebrations than Tredders but is a great guy so it gets overlooked.

They even show Kings when he goes on air but his mates just chuckle away....

No, he isn't the one who is pathetic. Every hero could do the job better - just ask them.

People whinged about Demetriou being a dictator now they're pulling themselves off over McLachlan not being one.

That's how it is when you're in charge.
Making the tough decisions doesn't mean a lack of consultation. It just means you're willing to take the responsibility that comes with a leadership role. He's a lightweight.

I liked Andy D.

Me too. I thought when people were celebrating him stepping down that people should be careful what they wish for because he was a big advocate for Port and knew the real story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back