The List

Remove this Banner Ad

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Went to Arden St this morning for the open day, highlight was the recruiting staff's "list" still in order on the whiteboard, top 40.

I didn't have a camera on me, so if anyone is going this afternoon, it would be good to take a shot, its in the administraion area.

FWIW

They were rated at:

Cunnington (4) - ahead of Morabito, with Rohan at 6, Melkshem 7, Butcher 8, Sheppherd 9 and Talia 10. They rated Trengove #1.

Black (13) - Ahead of Lucas at 14, JMP at 16 from memory, was the third highest ranked tall, with Griffiths ranked at 27.

Bastinac (18)

MacMillan (20)

Kennedy (22)

Norris (31)

They must be as/more over the moon as supporters. To have picked up as many players as they rated highly is a great plus.

Went to Arden St this morning for the open day, highlight was the recruiting staff's "list" still in order on the whiteboard, top 40.

I didn't have a camera on me, so if anyone is going this afternoon, it would be good to take a shot, its in the administraion area.

FWIW

They were rated at:

Cunnington (4) - ahead of Morabito, with Rohan at 6, Melkshem 7, Butcher 8, Sheppherd 9 and Talia 10. They rated Trengove #1.

Black (13) - Ahead of Lucas at 14, JMP at 16 from memory, was the third highest ranked tall, with Griffiths ranked at 27.

Bastinac (18)

MacMillan (20)

Kennedy (22)

Norris (31)
So we picked up everyone of our draftees at a much later position than we rated them. That is pretty amazing and if our recruiters are on the money then we have done very well.

There is one anomaly and that is that they rated Black ahead of Bastinac, yet took Bastinac ahead of Black. Any idea why this might have happened Pykie?

There is one anomaly and that is that they rated Black ahead of Bastinac, yet took Bastinac ahead of Black. Any idea why this might have happened Pykie?
Good pick up Horace! If the word is that we pipped WCE for Bastinac, and depending on where we rated Koby Stevens, perhaps it was purely tactical, with a calculated risk that Black would still be around? That or this is the ratings of 'best available' and the intention was to get the best midfielder with Pick 21 and the best KPP at Pick 25, regardless of ratings.

So we picked up everyone of our draftees at a much later position than we rated them. That is pretty amazing and if our recruiters are on the money then we have done very well.

There is a suggestion somewhere on here that we were very astute when picking the Bs, Horace. Maybe we picked Basta first to stop another club or three from picking him, knowing they were unlikely to draft Blackie.

Because West Coast were dead certainties to take Bastinac at 22.

They took the gamble that by taking Bastinac, West Coast & Essendon, might overlook Black, and they would get both, instead of just Black, and probably MacMillan (20) at 25 (from memory Gysberts was 19).

Big gamble, but it paid off in spades.

What everyone presumed was a 2min pause before Bastinac's pick, was because they had lost out on Griffiths (when Griffiths was rated at 27), was infact probably a discussion as to stay safe and just get Black, or to try and nab both.

It worked.

Maybe because according to scottywiper, West Coast were keen on Bastinac, but not as keen on Black? Hence, taking Bastinac when we know we can get Black at 25 would get us both rather than one?

Excellent.

I think most recruiters rated Black around that area according to Matt Burgan.

Interesting we rated Cunnington behind Martin. Quite a few recruiters had Cunnington ahead I believe.

Also great work on snaring them both. Reminiscent of the Roughead-Franklin play if you believe the stories.

I would buy a new whiteboard and leave that one as is forever if I were them. Might fetch a few bucks if all works well a few years down the line.

Just imagine the other recruiters looking on helplessly during the draft as it dawned on them the move we just pulled off. Priceless.

FWIW

They were rated at:

Bastinac (18)

MacMillan (20)

Kennedy (22)

Norris (31)

Excellent info Pykie.

This draft is going to define our club for the next decade.

I have a gut feeling that this MacMillan kid is going to come from the clouds.

Anyone else get the feeling that say, if we hadn't taken Black at 25, we'd have a very different outlook on the draft?

Say Black had gone at 24 to Essendon...Me think's if we'd taken MacMillan at 25, this board would be in meltdown mode at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone else get the feeling that say, if we hadn't taken Black at 25, we'd have a very different outlook on the draft?

Say Black had gone at 24 to Essendon...Me think's if we'd taken MacMillan at 25, this board would be in meltdown mode at the moment.

• Maybe we'd have taken Carlisle at 25?
  • MacMillan would have been a fine choice at 25

However, I understand that another player was lined up at 25 in case Black wasn't there, and that player was drafted soon after (between 26 and 36).

Might have been a honey pot put up for big footy reasons ;) Slight board tampering post draft. If not bloody awesome result.

I took a couple of photos of the board but I don't know how to upload photos on here. If someone wants to PM me, I could send them the photos to put on BF. When I got there, Cunnington's name was missing, though. Someone probably pinched it!

I took a couple of photos of the board but I don't know how to upload photos on here. If someone wants to PM me, I could send them the photos to put on BF. When I got there, Cunnington's name was missing, though. Someone probably pinched it!

Use this site GoNorth.

http://imageshack.us/

Upload the photo's to a URL, copy that URL when it comes up, and post the URL in the insert image box when you post.

Cheers mate here they are:

(pics removed at the club's request...........don't worry, nobody here's done the wrong thing, but with the rookie draft to come it was requested that the pics be removed.....cheers)

Interesting stuff.

Great stuff GN & NC.:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

You should stick that top photo in the North drafting thread on the drafting board and show the world how we uberpwned the draft.:thumbsu:

Looks like someone stole Cunnington and Black.

It's incredible that we were able to get our 13th ranked player with pick 25.

We rated Bastinac a long way ahead of Stevens so that decision might not have been as hard as some thought.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back