A Prophet

Debutant
Feb 9, 2010
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
THE GOOD

Bigger midfield role for Liam Anthony

NORTH Melbourne's prize finisher Liam Anthony has been given a licence to hunt more inside ball this year. Coming off a sensational debut campaign, the 22-year-old high-possession winner will today unveil the modified midfield role designed to make him an even more damaging player.
The penetrating right-footer remains one of the club's most damaging avenues to goal, having averaged a higher kicking efficiency (63 per cent) than Brisbane Lions gun Daniel Rich, (60) last season.
But North coach Brad Scott revealed the club had equipped Anthony with the tools over summer to win more tough contested ball, as it strives to cover the retirement of midfield general Adam Simpson.
Scott said the new hybrid role would help Anthony, one of the club's biggest success stories last year, elevate his game to a new level this season.

"We know he can accumulate a lot of possessions out on the ground through his work ethic," Scott said ahead of its season-opener against Port Adelaide.
"But he has added another dimension to his game so far in that he can get inside and win the genuine contested ball."
That said, the West Australian mature-age recruit will still be something of a go-to man.
Recovering from a foot stress fracture to play the last 10 games of last year, Anthony averaged a whopping 26 possessions in the second half of 2009.
While the Roos want Daniel Wells and Brent Harvey using their precise skill to hit forward targets, Scott was equally enthusiastic about Anthony's long-range delivery.
"He can certainly penetrate the game," Scott said.
"He can hit the ball low and flat."
"He gets a lot of the ball, and anyone who gets a lot of possession like him is occasionally going to turn the ball over.
"But I don't think we should confuse that with the fact that he is definitely a very good kick."
How North's new-look midfield competes against the more experienced, quality onball divisions, such as Port's, will have a large bearing on the Roos' success this year.
Anthony, Sam Wright, Jack Ziebell and debutant Ryan Bastinac have played 24 games between them.
Scott, who played down his centre line's inexperience, has charged Anthony with playing a leading role.
"Certainly the other players look up to him."

THE BAD

VFL/AFL: injuries hit Roosters, Kangaroos

27 Mar, 2010 10:17 PM
NORTH Ballarat and North Melbourne each have injury concerns after the Roosters defeated Geelong by seven points in a VFL practice match at Eureka Stadium on Saturday.For North Ballarat, first-year player Liam Hoy dislocated his left shoulder and Marc Greig suffered a corked right thigh.
For the Kangaroos, 2009 first draft selection Ben Cunnington appeared proppy late in the game and rookie Marcus White’s game ended in the second quarter with a corked right thigh.
Cunnington was unable to put his full weight on a leg after taking a long short for goal.
The youngster has had an interrupted pre-season with a ``hot spot’’ in a foot being diagnosed in January.
This was only his second full-scale match practice.
Hoy, who played with the North Ballarat Rebels last year, has been highly impressive in a defensive role and was in the frontrunning to make his VFL senior against Coburg in round one in two weeks.
The Roosters held out a pacy Geelong, 16.8 (104) to 14.13 (97).
Cats key forward James Podsiadly dominated in a best-on-ground performance – almost single handedly getting Geelong back into the game after it trailed by 24 points in the third quarter.
Nathan Djerkurra also had a big dig out, while Ryan Gamble was a solid contributor.
Derick Micallef caught the eye for the Roosters as did Nick Peters, Clinton Benjamin, Bill Driscoll and Oliver Tate.
North Melbourne high flying forward Aaron Edwards kicked five goals for the Roosters.

Add the links please AP. Cheers.

Cunners looks like ye olde foot's more damaged than initially thought (if it's the same leg). I'm sure he'll be in for scans once more and they'll manage it from there. Not good for the kid though.

I don't know if I would read too much into those comments about Cunnington from the articl quoted above because at 9.43pm last night the club posted a VFL report on the website and No Bull posted a thread on this forum titled "VFL Match Report".

In this report it only mentions the corky to White.
Let's hope the No Bull reports are the ones to go by. Fingers crossed

Hi there - this was news to me, so investigated.

No such report has filtered back to us here in Adelaide so I don't think there's anything to worry about. I spoke to John Lamont again this morning who was at the game and he knows nothing about it.

No such report has filtered back to us here in Adelaide so I don't think there's anything to worry about. I spoke to John Lamont again this morning who was at the game and he knows nothing about it.

Thanks Heath

Phew - thanks Heath.

Thanks DarkPhoenix .... Sorry guys for not posting the links next time i post anything like that i will also have the links aswell

That's why "No Bull" is a perfect username for you Heath :thumbsu:

Originally Posted by A Prophet
.... Sorry guys for not posting the links next time i post anything like that i will also have the links aswell

That'd be great, seeing I asked you to add them immediately after you'd begun the thread :the look of Zondor.......stern:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back