Will Hawthorn suddenly be interested in coach discussions?

Remove this Banner Ad

The reality is that as long as Jeff is President, Hawthorn will not renew Clarkson's contract. Obviously it comes down to when he finishes (at the end of this year) & how much & when the Crows give Clarkson an offer.

Clarkson's manager has stated tonight he will enter discussions with Adelaide about a contract offer.

There are two reason Clarkson will/would not walk away from Hawthorn.

profilepic24652_5.gif
With Malthouse leaving no doubt and declaring his hand Clarkeson is a goner I reckon.
He has not signed for a reason.
Strangely a coach who has signed a contract is more likely to go than one who has not???
Yeah right!

The reality is that as long as Jeff is President, Hawthorn will not renew Clarkson's contract. Obviously it comes down to when he finishes (at the end of this year) & how much & when the Crows give Clarkson an offer.

Clarkson's manager has stated tonight he will enter discussions with Adelaide about a contract offer.

The reality is you should stick to hypothosing about your own club because I doubt you have a clue about what goes on in the hawks inner sanctum.

The reality is that it would be derelict of him not to check out other options on clarksons behalf and it becomes yet another bargaining chip when they do sit down at the end of the season

The reality is you should stick to hypothosing about your own club because I doubt you have a clue about what goes on in the hawks inner sanctum.

There is no hypothosing going on here.

Clarkson has earned a contract extension from Hawthorn, you know it, I know it. The contract should be offered now however Kennett has stated that he won't look at it until the end of the year.

As long as this window remains open, a club such as Adelaide, who have far more financial resources than Hawthorn, are in the box position to swoop on Clarkson.

Denying it would be avoiding reality.

Clarkson has earned a contract extension from Hawthorn, you know it, I know it. The contract should be offered now however Kennett has stated that he won't look at it until the end of the year.

As long as this window remains open, a club such as Adelaide, who have far more financial resources than Hawthorn, are in the box position to swoop on Clarkson.

Clarkson has also stated that he is happy to wait until the end of the season and that was only seven days ago. Clarko is going nowhere regardless of what you think you know.

With Malthouse leaving no doubt and declaring his hand Clarkeson is a goner I reckon.
He has not signed for a reason.
Strangely a coach who has signed a contract is more likely to go than one who has not???
Yeah right!
Huh?
You must live in some kind of alternate reality where everything is related to Collingwood.
Your reckoning is just plain strange.

Hawthorn's financial resources would be in the top few

Why would Clarkson want to leave Hawthorn? They are still in contention to win a flag now and for another few years, why would he want to leave? I don't think it would happen.

I don't think he would leave for money. I would imagine that he is on a fair wage currently plus he doesn't seem the type of person where money would be a huge factor. I just cannot see it!

For those that are actually missing the point of the OP.

Clarkson doesn't actually have to leave, and i doubt he would want to, to force Hawthorns hand.

However Hawthorn know that there is now a club on the look out for a new coach and one that would most likely be very interested in Clarkson.

They would also be aware that while it may not be Clarksons first option, as that would clearly be Hawthorn, they need to be aware that it is a valid option and media speculation is going to come and come quickly.

A word or two from Pickering in the media, as he has already done before he virtually retracted, will get the speculation buzzing and coming into finals this will be the last thing Hawthorn will want.

The OP in no way was making out he is going but more so will hawthorn be spooked into negotiating early.

I think yes, but time will tell.

Huh?
You must live in some kind of alternate reality where everything is related to Collingwood.
Your reckoning is just plain strange.

Simply having a dig a the logic being used in the Malthouse discussion.:D
To be honest I can't see why The angry one would leave a side which is still competitive for a basket case.:thumbsu:

What now? How do you figure this ?

Why would the Hawks be 'spooked' into starting discussions? It's not like Clarko, a coach of a top 4 team, is going to step down mid-season to go coach Adelaide, a bottom 4 club.
Same thing for Melbourne. Why would he consider stepping down now in hope that Bailey is sacked/resigns and he can be 1st in line for the Melbourne job.

Both clubs' coaching positions won't be decided to after the season (including finals as they know there is a possibility they could snag Clarko so they'll wait), so why would Hawthorn go and sign him now? Makes no sense :confused:

Seeme to remember a very similar situation last year with a top team named Geelong and a getleman by the name of Mark Thompson?!

Don't think it CANT happen, though it most likely wont.

Cant see passed anyone like Bassett/Burns/Goody etc getting the gong

But watch this space, who knows what Clarkos thinking. He may love a challenge.:rolleyes:.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarkson doesn't actually have to leave, and i doubt he would want to, to force Hawthorns hand.

However Hawthorn know that there is now a club on the look out for a new coach and one that would most likely be very interested in Clarkson.

They would also be aware that while it may not be Clarksons first option, as that would clearly be Hawthorn, they need to be aware that it is a valid option and media speculation is going to come and come quickly.

A word or two from Pickering in the media, as he has already done before he virtually retracted, will get the speculation buzzing and coming into finals this will be the last thing Hawthorn will want.

The OP in no way was making out he is going but more so will hawthorn be spooked into negotiating early.

Virtually retracted, he was back pedalling faster than it took Cadel Evans to do the entire Tour - one would think that Clarko has told him to shut the ........ up.

As for media speculation - Caro says he isn't going anywhere, Mike says he is going nowhere, so I can't imagine the point in speculating for the sake of speculating.

As previously stated it would be negligent of Pickering not to take at a look at what Adelaide are offering but I would say it was more to use as a bargaining chip rather than genuine interest.

There are two reason Clarkson will/would not walk away from Hawthorn.

profilepic24652_5.gif

So if these are the 2 reasons he'll stay, picture this for a scenario.

Clarkson walks and on his way out the door he mentions to Buddy and Delicious "I still have your Numbers, if your Interested".

Likeliness: Not very high, but, Football nowdays isn't all about the Loyalty when Money is on the Line.

As previously stated it would be negligent of Pickering not to take at a look at what Adelaide are offering but I would say it was more to use as a bargaining chip rather than genuine interest.

So now you understand the premise of the thread :thumbsu:

There is couple of important reasons why Hawks won't change plan:
1) If they do, they will face this media speculation on every issue
2) When AC was hired the number 1 criteria for the new coach was that it had to be someone that really wanted to coach the Hawks. Clarko was the man then as he is now. If something changed and he took a deal from another club, he would no longer meet the number 1 criteria so would no longer be a good option!

Nothing changes. Media can circle jerk each other and get more excited about it but Hawks will continue to focus on winning football games!

So now you understand the premise of the thread :thumbsu:

:confused: Your OP was whether the hawks would be spooked into negotiating earlier. Whether Pickers talks to Adelaide or not is irrelevant - the hawks still won't bring forward talks.

Realisticly there's no way he's leaving Hawthorn, what is Kennet trying to achieve by not re-signing him?

I think at the start of this year there was every possibility that Clarkson may leave Hawthorn. 08 was a brilliant achievement which allowed 09 and 10 to be overlooked somewhat but there was only so long the goodwill was going to last. Another poor year and who knows. As it turns out it has been a relatively good year despite continued injuries.

Now, given it was no sure thing in round 1, the best possible outcome for the Hawthorn Football Club was to shut down discussions about it completely. Tell the media and the footy public that the club will not talk about it and then dont talk about it.

Fact is the approach has worked. There is no heat on Kennett, there is no heat on Clarkson and Clarkson might actually get a better deal from it all - good luck to him.

I suspect Kennett would hold the view that if all Clarkson is interested in is a better contract and he is willing to leave Hawthorn to get it then sayonara - brinig on the next guy who is committed to Hawthorn.

For the record, the last club to be rushed into a coaching decision mid season because of outside forces completely &%$#ed it up.

:confused: Your OP was whether the hawks would be spooked into negotiating earlier. Whether Pickers talks to Adelaide or not is irrelevant - the hawks still won't bring forward talks.

We will see.

I will revisit this thread if Hawthorn don't sign him OR come to some sort of agreement prior to when they said they would and congratulate them on staying the course.

Will you be back if they don't do what they said they would?

What it does do is play into the negotiating arms of Clarkson and his management.

Do I think he will leave Hawthorn...NO

But his management should have discussions with Adelaide and see if they can get a five year contract.....on very good $$$$$$$.....after all you could justify that was a realistic time frame needed to right the ship.

So Hawthorn may need to offer Clarkson a longer contract extention than they had originally considered.

And of course Clarkson would be rubbing his hands if Melbourne became a player as well.

Still think he will stay at Hawthorn but the negotiating chips just got appreciably larger.

Contrary to what Clarkson has said publicly, he knows that there are large question marks hanging over him unless he performs this year.

Yeah yeah, good one. The talk, as trumpeted on Bomberblitz IIRC, was that there would be a review made and a decision come to by round 10. That 'scoop' has gone down the plughole, and so I'd be taking this sort of talk with a grain of salt.

There'll be one reason and one reason only why Clarkson might be tempted to go, and that's if he feels the HFC administration is interfering unduly with his preferred coaching style. Now, that could be the case, as it seems Kennett likes to take a hands-on approach when it comes to the club's performance. But it looks to me as if the style of play he's been angling for is starting to show on the field, so it can't be too compromised.

At any rate, I seriously doubt he'll be judged on his performance this year. Unless 3rd with 4 losses after losing three key players (all KPPs) is somehow inadequate. I'd say the hold-up right now is just about how much he's worth - there'll be KPIs attached to the figure he's offered.

A GF appearance would up the asking price, and they'll negotiate an agreement from there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back