Hearld Sun Superfoooty Pay Wall goes up.

Remove this Banner Ad

TonyFrancis

Debutant
Mar 31, 2008
Preston
AFL Club
Collingwood
Today is an interesting day for Sports news junkies. The Herald Sun have implemented a pay wall requiring people to take out varying levels of subscription to get access to full articles and all the latest news.

Be interested to hear what other Big Footy users think of this system. For one thing I am sure it will lead to a proliferation in user generated news sites. I also think that the good people down at the Herald Sun have vastly over estimated the willingness of the public to pay for something they have been getting for free for the last 10 years.

My 2 cents.

Given the number of stories which appear in the Herald Sun which cite or originate from BigFooty, we should be charging them for access.

Today is an interesting day for Sports news junkies. The Herald Sun have implemented a pay wall requiring people to take out varying levels of subscription to get access to full articles and all the latest news.

Be interested to hear what other Big Footy users think of this system. For one thing I am sure it will lead to a proliferation in user generated news sites. I also think that the good people down at the Herald Sun have vastly over estimated the willingness of the public to pay for something they have been getting for free for the last 10 years.

My 2 cents.

spot on

Made a similar thread which got moved (so I wouldn't be surprised if this one did too). Just looked at the "subscription" costs, and it is $2.95/week just for the Digital Pass. Thats $153.40 a year :eek::eek::eek:

I just have 2 questions

1) What are the HS smoking if they think people will pay +$150/year to read their stories online

2) Where can I get some

My 2 cents.

Good thread. I for one will not be paying. It will lead to "little man" news sites/blogs / forums for all sorts of news opinion etc.
Big footy is well placed to lead the pack here.
On this forum there are people far more knowledgeable about their own team and just as able to form solid opinions about the league overall as the journos.

I can see big footy becoming an even more important source of opinion and fact than it is already for most big footy fans.

Once the advertisers get the gist of what is happening I think Big footy will even be able to produce a modest footy news sticky prepared by reliable servants of the forum - who may get some return for their time from this advertising stream ie. even better than is there now.

This is a big gamble by the Murdochs. My bet is it will fail - you can't beat the people. The big players are not liking this at all.

I am a simple person, representing the other billion simpletons

and i say

die pay site die. Gladiatorthumbsdown.jpg

Good thread. I for one will not be paying. It will lead to "little man" news sites/blogs / forums for all sorts of news opinion etc.
Big footy is well placed to lead the pack here.
On this forum there are people far more knowledgeable about their own team and just as able to form solid opinions about the league overall as the journos.

I can see big footy becoming an even more important source of opinion and fact than it is already for most big footy fans.

Once the advertisers get the gist of what is happening I think Big footy will even be able to produce a modest footy news sticky prepared by reliable servants of the forum - who may get some return for their time from this advertising stream ie. even better than is there now.

This is a big gamble by the Murdochs. My bet is it will fail - you can't beat the people. The big players are not liking this at all.

I would even a modest "toll" to use the if it was non profit and not run by

I agree. What do we actually get out of these so called experts? i don't think we will miss them to be honest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Super point.

Bottom line is most knowledgeable footy fans have just about had a gutfull of the "Robbo's and Mark Steven's" writing opinion pieces. Case in point this morning. Robbo trolling on about Carlton winning the flag. They may give it a nudge, but honestly, he at one point declares them a lock. Unless they have a couple f gun key forwards we dont know about, he's kidding himself...

So Id sooner not read his crap full stop, let alone pay for it... Bigfooty... getting better by the minute.

www.bigfootynews.com

It's there already everybody. Take a look. We've been doing NAB Cup reviews, feature pieces and opinion. We've got Frankston Rover and his MS Paint skills. Weekly pieces, controversy generation, it's all there.

Super point.

Bottom line is most knowledgeable footy fans have just about had a gutfull of the "Robbo's and Mark Steven's" writing opinion pieces. Case in point this morning. Robbo trolling on about Carlton winning the flag. They may give it a nudge, but honestly, he at one point declares them a lock. Unless they have a couple f gun key forwards we dont know about, he's kidding himself...

So Id sooner not read his crap full stop, let alone pay for it... Bigfooty... getting better by the minute.

The funniest part in his blog is where people are asking how they are better than the other sides above them last year and i haven't seen 1 decent answer to those questions. I don't think he believes it himself.

www.bigfootynews.com

It's there already everybody. Take a look. We've been doing NAB Cup reviews, feature pieces and opinion. We've got Frankston Rover and his MS Paint skills. Weekly pieces, controversy generation, it's all there.

Have bookmarked :thumbsu:

Update it with opinion pieces more regularly and I'm sure more people will join. read a few match recaps and they were better than Herald Suns. Now all you need are photos from the matches.

Anyway I can, I'll be glad to help you guys write pieces for the site, I write for Richmonds site. If you're interested just inbox me.

I think if quite a few of us got together, we wouldn't bother with the Herald Sun. Most of their information is recycled from here anyway!

I won't be paying for online news/footy content from the Sun or anyone else for that matter. It's a bit like buying the paper and then having to pay another fee to read it. We pay to read online via out internet providers. It's a double dip.

If they start charging for Supercoach I won't play it anymore. Simple.

There are numerous places to find out what is going on in the footy world, Big footy being one of them. Actually as someone on here commented they get most of their stories off here anyway. They should be paying Big footy!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back