Carlton are legit flag threats

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So no credit to Carlton for shutting the Brisbane run down or limiting their run or just plain getting out of 1st gear (eg. Judd, Simpson, Murphy) in the 1st / 2nd quarters. Gee some people really hate us and I LOVE IT. IT WILL BE PAINFULL.:D

No!

What I mean is, if Carlton has improved it will show next week. Carlton just did what it had to do, and the margin was more about how pathetic Brisbane was in the second half.

If you want a bright spot, it was that Carlton just relaxed in the final 10 minutes.

They absolutely are IMO and not just because they've flogged a couple of ordinary teams.

Their big blokes needed to take a step, cement themselves as solid AFL big men and they are. Bower, Henderson, Hampson, Kreuzer. They are all improved from last season and most importantly the Kreuzer/Hampson combo is making sense structurally and causing the opposition problems.

If Jamison comes back in the form of early 2011 then their backline is looking solid.

Laidler - Jamison - Duigan
Yarran - Henderson - Scotland

With the improved Bower another 3rd defender option. Gibbs and Tuowy HB's.

I'm very much looking forward to Carlton Collingwood already, I reckon we could learn a lot from it.

The game was fairly competitive for the first half, then Brisbane ran out of legs. Brisbane kicked 2 goals in the second half. Brisbane only had a 5 day turn around.

Teams coming off a 5-day break have a 135-134-3 record v teams off a 7-day break.

Brisbane clogged the defensive half when the match slipped away, otherwise it would've been uglier.

I don't see it that way.. No matter how good Carlton get in the midfield and defence, their forward line is just not good enough against a quality opposition defenders. Collingwood have Cloke who often, single handedly dominates a game and can't be stopped. Carlton relies too heavily on the smaller players to score, and sorry.. but Waite will only ever be average at his craft. Carlton need quality marking / leading forwards, they have none. Their defence has improved but still lagging behind Geelong, Collingwood and Hawthorn also.

For these reasons, I can't see them progressing through a finals series beating the best opposition in consecutive games, which is what's obviously required. Nothing has changed from last year... Carlton beat up on the weaker, inferior opposition. I can't believe the space their midfield has been given in the first 2 rounds... saying that, they've played 2 bottom 5 sides... should we expect anything else?

First-class analysis.:rolleyes:

Some promising signs, but we've proven nothing yet - two solid, professional wins for sure, but against teams that will probably finish in the bottom half of the ladder.

I think we'll be waiting until Rounds 11-15 to see if we're truly legit - Geelong, West Coast (away), Hawthorn, and Collingwood - there's our season in a nutshell.

Carlton have just leap frogged the top 4 and are genuine flag threats...

So by this logic when my mob beats up on Melbourne's carcass this w.e, we are also genuine flag threats??

They are a good side but come on people , as others have said lets wait till they play some top 4 sides.

And for all those saying they "almost" beat Geelong last year.. Was your tv on that day??

Can anyone tell me when was the last time Brisbane where beaten by 15 goals at home and by who?

1992 v Geelong (finished top)
1991 v Geelong (finished 3rd)
1991 v Collingwood (finished 7th)
1987 v Hawthorn (finished 2nd)

81 points v Geelong in 2010 was their biggest home loss since the days of the Bears.

And for all those saying they "almost" beat Geelong last year.. Was your tv on that day??

Didn't have the tv on but was at the game

Geelong & Blues played only once last year. Lost by two points and missed a sitter with less than 2 minutes to go - that's almost beating the other side. Why you think differently?

Blues still didn't beat any top 4 teams in 2011, so have to get over that hurdle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Defeated:

Rich x 2
GC
Ad
Syd x 2
St K
Port
Melb x 2
Bris
Ess
North
Freo

Ess (F)

Collingwood, Essendon then Freo in Perth in the next 3 weeks. Let's reassess after Rd 5 perhaps.
Geez, that's damning.

They'll have improved on last year though, so the next few weeks will be interesting.

I'm tipping they'll knock off Collingwood.

Late in the season the hawks only beat us by 10 points (I think) comfortably, beaten?.

I feel we are a chance for top 4 from there lets see, but it's only round 2 , next week will be a ripper!

That's the thing isn't it?

Had have we jumped Hawthorn and them come back to beat us by 2 kicks, we would have been seen to be over-run by a team running away from us.

Hawthorn gets the jump and we climb back but they just relaxed. :confused:

It was a two goal difference in the end. That's all.

I see lots of posters making reference to 2011 form. I also see lots of Hawthorn supporters sounding like Collingwood supporters did in 2011 & we all know how that ended up. No doubt many of these posters are among those who tipped both Richmond & Brisbane to beat Carlton (yes, many of you did). The same ones who wanted to proclaim pre-season form as being at least a rough guide to the season proper.

I know many of you don't want Carlton to make the Top 4 (whether they will or not we will find out sometime around late August, early September), but continually repeating the same spin over & over & over again (like grubby politicians) will have no impact on how the season pans out.

It is always nice to see some Hawthorn & Collingwood supporters backing each other up. Maybe you have more in common with each other than you were prepared to admit.

Carton could very well be one of the top 2 teams this year but they do have a habit of doing this lately. They need to get a win against quality competition to silence the critics. It could be the time to pounce with Collingwood and Geelong looking slightly down on last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back