Cancelled
10k Posts
Apr 27, 2005
8th place
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Ham, Tony Pulis hat
He is obviously looking at joining Richmond and is a player I believe will slot into your starting 18 (hell if Tivendale is in your starting 18, then McConnell will have no trouble). Fits your youth policy as he is only 18 and is a midfielder who can also play as a Half Forward Flank, similiar to Embley and id probably say a better version of Danny Meyer.

Eagles would most likely be looking for experience or a upgrade of our first rounder. I cant see us accepting a 2nd rounder. I dont see what you have to offer rather then picks. Is there anything other then picks you have we would want??

EDIT: Deleted first sentence.
EDIT #2: How can you compare a 1st year player to a 2nd year player?

Back onto topic though, there isn't really much we could offer West Coast other than Jay Schulz, as the Eagles are after a Key Forward. But the likelyhood of Jay leaving Richmond is slim to none.

But having a look at McConnell's 2005 season, he only played 2 games, both of a quiet nature, but that's fair enough for a first year player trying to break into the team that ended up the Runners-up to the Premiership. As high as you guys in the West regard him, he doesn't really have the runs on the board for you boys to expect too much from us for him.

im not sure we have too much to offer other then tivendale, jackson, krakouer , hilton, morrison

tivendale wouldnt get a game at eagles, doubt jackson would eiether, krakouer mite as he could be used as a crumbing forward and would be a natural replacement for phil matera but not sure the eagles would want him, and shane morrison is poo

see most of our experianced players are eiether ones we wouldnt let go in richo, gasper, bowden, johnson, cogs,brown and the mid range age players such as newman, pettifer, schulz, hall etc i doubt we would let go we need them , Chris Hyde and Chaffey are others but no way they would get a game at the eagles, i think it would have to be a pick for mcconnel becuase i wouldnt be prepared to give away a pettifer, newman, hall etc for a player who has potential but is un proven at the moment

• Banned
He would of played alot more then 2 games but suffered glandular fever during the break and doctors advised him not to play again this season due to that.

Fergus Watts dont have the runs on the board and I can safely say more chance of McConnell making it then Watts, For McConnell we would want atleast a top 20 pick which you dont have. We would probably accept Jay Schulz but you wouldnt do that. If McConnell was to go, maybe a three way trade would have to be done so we can get Byron Pickett.

Embers said:
He is obviously looking at joining Richmond and is a player I believe will slot into your starting 18 (hell if Tivendale is in your starting 18, then McConnell will have no trouble). Fits your youth policy as he is only 18 and is a midfielder who can also play as a Half Forward Flank, similiar to Embley and id probably say a better version of Danny Meyer.

Eagles would most likely be looking for experience or a upgrade of our first rounder. I cant see us accepting a 2nd rounder. I dont see what you have to offer rather then picks. Is there anything other then picks you have we would want??

bit ahead of yourself claiming him to be better than danny meyer....but then again you west coaters seem to do that (last sat showed that)...i noticed some wise monkey on your board wanting our pick 8 yeh right....

Claiming he will be better then Meyer is hardly an outlandish statement. He is the same type of player except he is a better kick, better mark more fit and is more versatile. I hardly think I was going out on a limb there, he is probably our 2nd most promising youngster behind Beau Waters.

Meyer was considered one of the best skilled players in last years draft, so not sure how you can say McConnell is a better kick. Meyer is also a midfielder/hff, so they are just as versatile.

Embers said:
Claiming he will be better then Meyer is hardly an outlandish statement. He is the same type of player except he is a better kick, better mark more fit and is more versatile. I hardly think I was going out on a limb there, he is probably our 2nd most promising youngster behind Beau Waters.

so obviously you have seen danny play and are able to state daniel is a better player in all categories...sorry mate but i would judge wallaces estimation of dannys abilities more so than yours...if i remember correctly wallace was very pleased to snaffle meyer in draft and he thought in the long term he might even out perform some other highly rated draft picks we took last year.... ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

meyer is a very highly skilled player and considered one of the best kicks for goal inside 50 at the club already. Explosive (top 5 at draft camp in the 20metre sprint behind lids and tambling from memory) and a deceptively good mark. I dont think you know much abt him, very highly regarded by us and in last years draft

Embers said:

-------------------------------------------
Richmond will not pay over the odds for any player during this years trade.
We will not trade pick 8 or trade a young player unless they want to go home.
We are building a side and don't have a pressing need like say the Eagles do to get a FF - it cost them a premiership and unless you can get one it will probably cost you another.
To get your FF (and it won't be from Richmond) you're going to have to give up quite a few fringe players and a senior player also.
KPP forwards are worth their weight in gold at the moment. Geelong would like another, Fremantle.. the list goes on.
Prepare to pay up big time - guys like McConnell are 2nd rounders at best.

Punt_Road_Roar said:
McConnell should nominate for the PSD and see who picks him up.

I'd say no one, perhaps Collingwood they love Ex eagles !

WCE have ruined his career.

Problem is no one knows what position to play him in. He is 190cm but not a key position player. He doesn't really win the hard ball in the middle. He isn't quick enough for the wing. He plays some good footy as a loose man in defence but so does everyone. He is a handy forward of the ball midfielder, but we are stocked for those. He is probably a 3rd defender but we may as well stick with the ones we have and draft a Drum or Bower instead.

cogs24 said:
I can see McConnel playing a role similar to Ryan O'keefe at Sydney, he can run all day and has great hands

Which is fine other than the fact that we have Brown, Meyer, Pettifer, Krakouer, Tambling, Moore, Gilmour, Raines and Roach all wanting to play as small and medium forwards. Deledio too for a year or two. 1/4 of our list are forward of the ball forwards ... how about we recruit someone who is actually prepared to put his head over the ball and win it?

We've got four blokes who can win thier own ball at stoppages - Foley, Coughlan, Johnson and Tuck. we need more finishers - We are also the worst team in loose ball gets and handball recieves - dont know much about McConnel, but if he can run and can get it and can use it he is in the mix.

Weaver said:
Which is fine other than the fact that we have Brown, Meyer, Pettifer, Krakouer, Tambling, Moore, Gilmour, Raines and Roach all wanting to play as small and medium forwards. Deledio too for a year or two. 1/4 of our list are forward of the ball forwards ... how about we recruit someone who is actually prepared to put his head over the ball and win it?
Obviously you have never watched sydney play becuase to say he is anything at all like any of the players you mentioned is ********. Half of them are midfielders who will rest in the forward line and raines is a midfielder who rests on a HBF or bench. Oh and none of them a medium sized expet moore and hes just crap and he cant kick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back