Radiohead vs Muse poll

Remove this Banner Ad

The Bends & OK Computer are better than anything Muse have done in terms of a complete album.

Muse have quite a few great songs but their best isnt jaw droppingly "how the **** did they do that" brilliant like Radiohead's.

Muse kicked ass at the BDO :thumbsu: I like them too :)

Edit: I don't like Bellamy's falceto in some of their songs...he sounds like he has a drawl or its a bit "fake".

The Bends & OK Computer are better than anything Muse have done in terms of a complete album.

I think that's what puts Radiohead ahead for me. In terms of complete albums I would put The Bends, Kid A and OK Computer ahead of any of Muse's albums. Just so people know, I own four Muse albums, their 2007 Australasian tour T-Shirt, have downloaded several of their live shows and was completely blown away by their BDO performance, so I'm a pretty big Muse fan. I just don't think they are as good as Radiohead

PS, I think narrowing a debate on these 2 bands down to Matt Bellamy vs Thom Yorke is a bit unfair on the other 6 members (particualrly Jonny Greenwood).

You don't quite understand the phrase 'desperately in love', do you? And it's far from based on one post.

You know what's more annoying? You raising Muse in every ****ing thread. Silverchair, for example and most annoyingly. Your constant muso-**** over Muse is incredibly tiring. You deny it, but it's plainly bloody obvious.
I have been very lucky to have experienced love in my life, but again, i fail to see how anything you quoted from me in your original post reflects any kind of "desperate love". By stating that in my opinion they write good tunes, can play and are a great live band makes me "desperately in love" with them?

You're exaggerating and looking like a dill.

But compared to your assertion that i apparently mention them in "every ****ing thread" that is nothing. Yes, i mentioned them purely as a reference point or example of a point i was making in the silverchair thread and explained why. Apart from that, could you provide just one more example from any thread where Muse wasn't relevant to the topic please? If i am guilty of what you're accusing me, it shouldnt be too hard should it?

But if you cant, i hope you're big enough to admit that you've again made something up. People who do that to try and prove a point really can look pretty stupid. But those who then lie about it look like top shelf knobs.

You're not a top shelf knob are you mate?
What is worse, though, is your insufferably arrogant, pretentious and insulting attitude where you indirectly abuse the taste of anyone who doesn't agree that Muse are the best thing ever created.

Your continual statements about how you like Muse because of things like 'their musicianship, songwriting, production and ideas and the seemingly dying art of putting on a great live show' is a classic underhanded insult at anyone who dislikes Muse because by implication they 'obviously' can't appreciate those same facets in music.

Get over yourself and quit the Muse fanboyism. I used to respect your opinions, but after you have revealed this ugly side to your character I have come to resent them.
I really hope you're gonna be ok mate.

But crikey, your chiropracter must absolutely love you. That massive chip on your shoulder would be giving him a mountain of work to do.

What an outright lie.

Without a shadow of a doubt, Buckley is far more of a 'Giant' in modern music than Bellamy, despite his more limited output.

Bellamy is a Giant only on this board.
I'll preface this by saying i am a massive Jeff Buckley fan and consider myself blessed to have seen him on both his tours of Australia.

But i'd really love to know your definition of "giant". Because as much as i think Jeff Buckley was a gem and the world is a worse place for losing him (at the risk of being labelled as being "desperately in love" with him of course :rolleyes: ) i dont recall him selling out too many stadiums or having anywhere near the popularity in anywhere near the number of countries that Muse do.

I have been very lucky to have experienced love in my life, but again, i fail to see how anything you quoted from me in your original post reflects any kind of "desperate love". By stating that in my opinion they write good tunes, can play and are a great live band makes me "desperately in love" with them?

You're exaggerating and looking like a dill.

Looking like a dill? What, when you're coming out with such amusing and hamfisted understatements as 'I only stated they write good tunes and are a great live band!'? I am not so sure about that, my dear!

If that's all you'd written, there wouldn't be an issue. Lying doesn't become you, Carlos.

But compared to your assertion that i apparently mention them in "every ****ing thread" that is nothing. Yes, i mentioned them purely as a reference point or example of a point i was making in the silverchair thread and explained why. Apart from that, could you provide just one more example from any thread where Muse wasn't relevant to the topic please? If i am guilty of what you're accusing me, it shouldnt be too hard should it?

Easy: the U2 thread. Again you raised Muse.

Additionally, my perception is not wrong. Another poster in the Silverchair thread commented of how your post reeked of 'OMG MUZE ARE DA COOLEST!'.

My perception is correct, you just seem unable to truthfully address your own posting habits.

But if you cant, i hope you're big enough to admit that you've again made something up. People who do that to try and prove a point really can look pretty stupid. But those who then lie about it look like top shelf knobs.

You're not a top shelf knob are you mate?

If you're talking about liars, shouldn't we discuss you pretending you just say Muse are a band who writes good songs and play well live. That's such an poor lie it embarrasses you. Does that mean you are you calling yourself a top shelf knob, or are you so obsessed with Muse you don't realise what you write?

I really hope you're gonna be ok mate.

But crikey, your chiropracter must absolutely love you. That massive chip on your shoulder would be giving him a mountain of work to do.

I have no chip on my shoulder. Although perhaps you, with your obsessive defense of Muse, might have one.

But hey, launching a jibe like that is a really good way to avoid addressing the point in that quoted post. Perhaps my points about your condescending behaviour towards others on this board is cutting a little too close to the bone?

Try harder next time, such obvious diversions don't work.

As much as this is getting personal and not on topic, I enjoy your little stoushes - after all, the internet is srs bznss - just make sure it stays relatively nice or I'll pull out my big, red banning wand......

...no, I don't have pics.....

Muse fans > Radiohead geeks.
Radionerds are quite seriously the most peculiar fan of any band I've ever come accross. I steer well clear of them!

Calibre of fans aside, when Muse pen some tracks as phenomenal as Street Spirit or Let Down, then they may actually move into the league that Radiohead are a part of. As it stands, I can't see them getting close. And I am a fan of theirs.

Looking like a dill? What, when you're coming out with such amusing and hamfisted understatements as 'I only stated they write good tunes and are a great live band!'? I am not so sure about that, my dear!

If that's all you'd written, there wouldn't be an issue. Lying doesn't become you, Carlos.
This actually getting a bit boring and i'm disappointed in myself that i'm even paying you this much mind.

You obviously have an issue with me which i'm kinda flattered by but also slightly bemused at. From what i can gather, you just cant seem to except the fact that i and a number of other people really dig a band that you're not so keen on, and have gotten increasingly more vitriolic and personal with me with each response and its gotten to the stage where i'm actually beginning to think that just maybe you're actually "desperately in love" with me.

But if it gets you through the night, knock yourself out.

I'm just about done with this, but before i go...
Easy: the U2 thread. Again you raised Muse.
Which thread was that one champ? I did a search and only found THIS ONE.

Probably worth having a read of the title and the first post to remind you what the topic was. I wouldnt have thought discussing Muse was all that out of line...

If you've got anything else, feel free to post a link.
Additionally, my perception is not wrong. Another poster in the Silverchair thread commented of how your post reeked of 'OMG MUZE ARE DA COOLEST!'.

My perception is correct, you just seem unable to truthfully address your own posting habits.
You mean in THIS THREAD? If so, i think i amply explained myself and here's a quote from the poster himself about you:
Take it easy dude, just stirring. And as you pointed out and I admitted, it wasn't really you who derailed the thread.
You're kinda clutching now aren't you?
If you're talking about liars, shouldn't we discuss you pretending you just say Muse are a band who writes good songs and play well live. That's such an poor lie it embarrasses you. Does that mean you are you calling yourself a top shelf knob, or are you so obsessed with Muse you don't realise what you write?
You know what i find really kind of bazaar about all this? The post you originally quoted from me in this thread actually features me explicitly saying that i had no problem admitting that Radiohead will be remembered as the more important band and were hugely important for bands like Muse, yet you continue to try and make me out to go on like Muse are Jesus Christ reincarnate.

Yeah, i've stated my opinion which i clearly said was "purely based on my taste and what i value in bands", yet you've taken this problem you have with me to obsession levels by reading disturbingly deep into my comments and somehow extrapolating that this is somehow hanging sh*t on you or anyone else who thinks differently.

Yeah i think they're a great band and i consider myself lucky to be here to see them develop and particularly love going to see them play live. I've no problem also admitting that i've stated many times that in my opinion they are one of the better bands around at the moment.

You dont. Cool. I've NEVER once cast a dispersion on you or anyone else for not liking them as much as me or anyone else on here.

Yeah, when some dill ignorantly casts dispersions on their musicianship or hilariously tries to tell me that U2 for example could faithfully pull off any Muse tune (I'm still giggling at the mental imagery of any member of U2 trying not to fall over while having a crack at faithfully covering a tune like Assassin, Stockholm Syndrome and Space Dimentia to name but a few of the many Muse tunes that they couldn't even dream of being capable of playing) i'll have words. But i know i have NEVER hung crap on you or anyone else just because you dont get as much as what i do from their song writing or find them as essential as what i and the many others on here or around the world do.

Search my posts. Find me one, just one where i have (other than tongue in cheek stuff like with dudes like FIGJAM, Binxy and others who have a brain)
I have no chip on my shoulder. Although perhaps you, with your obsessive defense of Muse, might have one.
Dude, whatever fluffs your duck. If being a massive Muse fan is what i'm known for on here, i really can live with that. I really hope you can learn to as well.

But i also really hope you can let this go soon because i'm actually kind of worried about you. Carrying around this kind of sick obsession with somebody else's taste in music really cant be healthy for ya dude.

Anyway, as far as you and your opinion of me and my taste, views or opinions on music are concerned, i'm out.

Do yourself and me a favour and never respond to another one of my posts again. In fact i'd be rapt if you just put me on ignore.

Whatever the case, i mean this as politely as possibly, but please, just f*ck off now.

Radionerds are quite seriously the most peculiar fan of any band I've ever come accross. I steer well clear of them!

Calibre of fans aside, when Muse pen some tracks as phenomenal as Street Spirit or Let Down, then they may actually move into the league that Radiohead are a part of. As it stands, I can't see them getting close. And I am a fan of theirs.
In your opinion of course... which, you already know, i usually enjoy reading.

I do think we've gotten a little sucked into the recent vibe of this place and for some reason we're now supporting bands like they're f*cking footy teams though!

I'm not gonna go into the whole Radiohead thing again. We've done that a few times and you have been one dude who has been instrumental in me actually becoming a much bigger Radiohead fan than i once was (particularly since i finally purchased my first Ipod recently... some of those songs take on such a different life through head phones while being surrounded by moving life)

Yeah, the tunes you mentioned (and theres plenty more) are amazing pieces which Muse probably couldn't do anywhere near as well.

But i could probably throw just as many Muse tunes back at you that Radiohead would be kidding themselves to believe they could conceive or play, and thats removing my own taste or what i value in bands. If i include those factors though, then we're possibly entering argument territory which, if you dont mind, i'll probably give a miss. Not that i you're not worthy or that i dont indeed actually really enjoy any of our more spirited interactions from time to time, but i've kinda done enough of that lately...

One thing i've got absolutely no problem admitting is that both bands are f*cking good at what they do and i'm not quite sure why A) they get compared or bracketed together as much as they do or B) why anyone couldnt actually be a big fan of both. I certainly now consider myself to be, although conversely i can fully understand why some people dont get into either band.

I do think we've gotten a little sucked into the recent vibe of this place and for some reason we're now supporting bands like they're f*cking footy teams though!
True. It's the nature of polls though. It's the Grand Final of internet discussion on a topic, at least until the poll's forgotten and it's done all over again by some noob!

One thing i've got absolutely no problem admitting is that both bands are f*cking good at what they do and i'm not quite sure why A) they get compared or bracketed together as much as they do or B) why anyone couldnt actually be a big fan of both. I certainly now consider myself to be, although conversely i can fully understand why some people dont get into either band.
I'm a big fan of both.

Your last sentence was what I was saying in relation to Arcade Fire. If you don't like it, don't force it. It's not a slight on your musical sensibility.

But yeah, polls are confrontational and force us to waste countless hours of life posting on the internet to defend an opinion you were probably indifferent about prior to reading the thread title.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This actually getting a bit boring and i'm disappointed in myself that i'm even paying you this much mind.

You obviously have an issue with me which i'm kinda flattered by but also slightly bemused at. From what i can gather, you just cant seem to except the fact that i and a number of other people really dig a band that you're not so keen on, and have gotten increasingly more vitriolic and personal with me with each response and its gotten to the stage where i'm actually beginning to think that just maybe you're actually "desperately in love" with me.

But if it gets you through the night, knock yourself out.

It is disappointing that you're so defensive about your Muse obsession that you need to resort to childish primary school insults like 'you're in love with ME!'.

I see my previous of opinion of you was even better than it should have been.

Which thread was that one champ? I did a search and only found THIS ONE.

Probably worth having a read of the title and the first post to remind you what the topic was. I wouldnt have thought discussing Muse was all that out of line...

If you've got anything else, feel free to post a link.

I just searched for posts containing 'Muse' by 'Carlos' and found 132.

You mean in THIS THREAD? If so, i think i amply explained myself and here's a quote from the poster himself about you:

You're kinda clutching now aren't you?

Pity that you didn't post what he actually said, which he never retracted, but only half-apologised for after you went at him about it.

Once again, a fair chunk of deceit on your behalf over someone who also perceived your obsession. Disappointing aspect in your character.

You know what i find really kind of bazaar about all this? The post you originally quoted from me in this thread actually features me explicitly saying that i had no problem admitting that Radiohead will be remembered as the more important band and were hugely important for bands like Muse, yet you continue to try and make me out to go on like Muse are Jesus Christ reincarnate.

Which you do.

Yeah, i've stated my opinion which i clearly said was "purely based on my taste and what i value in bands", yet you've taken this problem you have with me to obsession levels by reading disturbingly deep into my comments and somehow extrapolating that this is somehow hanging sh*t on you or anyone else who thinks differently.

Disturbingly deep? Not at all. When you explain what 'you value' and it includes 'their musicianship, songwriting, production and ideas and the seemingly dying art of putting on a great live show', which is pretty much everything in a band, then it's a classic underhanded, indirect insult to everyone who doesn't think Muse are great -after all, if you claim Muse have those characteristics, by implication anyone who doesn't like Muse mustn't like those characteristics in a band. It is very simple.

Or are 'indirect' and 'implication' difficult concepts for you?

Yeah i think they're a great band and i consider myself lucky to be here to see them develop and particularly love going to see them play live. I've no problem also admitting that i've stated many times that in my opinion they are one of the better bands around at the moment.

You dont. Cool. I've NEVER once cast a dispersion on you or anyone else for not liking them as much as me or anyone else on here.

Of course you have. As below.

Yeah, when some dill ignorantly casts dispersions on their musicianship or hilariously tries to tell me that U2 for example could faithfully pull off any Muse tune (I'm still giggling at the mental imagery of any member of U2 trying not to fall over while having a crack at faithfully covering a tune like Assassin, Stockholm Syndrome and Space Dimentia to name but a few of the many Muse tunes that they couldn't even dream of being capable of playing) i'll have words.

See here it is. 'Ignorantly'. 'Giggling'. The obsession and condescension is shining through again. Why exactly could U2 not play any of those songs. Are you questioning their musicianship? On what basis?

See, this is the point. You sick obsession with Muse leads you to offensively attack others who might have a different opinion, like this one. I'll bet you know absolutely nothing about the musical abilities of any member of U2, and so the only way you could make a claim like that is borne out of your sick obsession with Muse.

It's all very simple.

'I'll have words'. How pathetic, really.

But i know i have NEVER hung crap on you or anyone else just because you dont get as much as what i do from their song writing or find them as essential as what i and the many others on here or around the world do.

You're stretching the truth again. Muse aren't a particularly popular band. Mid-ranks.

Search my posts. Find me one, just one where i have (other than tongue in cheek stuff like with dudes like FIGJAM, Binxy and others who have a brain)

Ah, 'have a brain'. Another weak insult. It is revealing your character.

Dude, whatever fluffs your duck. If being a massive Muse fan is what i'm known for on here, i really can live with that. I really hope you can learn to as well.

Ah, now you're beginning to accept it. Good.

But i also really hope you can let this go soon because i'm actually kind of worried about you. Carrying around this kind of sick obsession with somebody else's taste in music really cant be healthy for ya dude.

Don't turn this on me. I have no problem with your Muse obsession. Funny that you are trying to turn the 'sick obsession' onto me. More playground tactics. Grow up.

My concern relates purely to you bringing Muse into irrelevant threads and then denying you're obsessed. Poor form.

Anyway, as far as you and your opinion of me and my taste, views or opinions on music are concerned, i'm out.

Do yourself and me a favour and never respond to another one of my posts again. In fact i'd be rapt if you just put me on ignore.

Whatever the case, i mean this as politely as possibly, but please, just f*ck off now.

Such poor language and disappointing vitriol. You write a long post attacking my perceptions, and expect me not to respond?

Please, try harder next time. This has been a disappointing effort.

Care to expand on that?

Radiohead is one of the premier bands of the world. They have defined a sound and have been copied numerous times without much effect. They are pioneers. Thom Yorke is great for trying to push sound boundaries. Their music talks of the alienation that society has pushed onto its individuals.

I like Radiohead but I don't go crazy over them like some.

Muse are a boring post modern band that sounds like the rest of them. I've seen one music video and like most post modern bands, seem to rely on them to actually get some meaning from their music. It was the greatest amount of tripe I've ever seen. They will be forgotten soon enough.

Muse are a boring post modern band that sounds like the rest of them. I've seen one music video and like most post modern bands, seem to rely on them to actually get some meaning from their music. It was the greatest amount of tripe I've ever seen. They will be forgotten soon enough.

You've really asked for it now. Carlos will turn 14 shades of red while he types a reply to this.

Muse and radiohead are great bands, they may sound similar to some but so what.

Music today is mostly lacking good bands, Muse and Radiohead are good bands, who cares who there influences are.

Muse wouldn't be able to play Oasis songs due to the fact they one guitar player who sings, i fail to see how he would nail the tracks from Oasis who rely heavily on the twin guitar attack.

Anyway Muse wouldn't want to play an Oasis song and vice versa.

Using the argument that bands could play your band's songs to decide who is better is just plain silly, personally U2 are the biggest band of the last 20 years, Oasis, Radiohead and Muse will be recognized as classic British acts with a different style in each.

Oasis are no doubt derivative and un-original. So what, there guitar based music bought rock n roll vibes back to a country crippled by American grunge and Oasis influenced many bands in today's charts through there unoriginal yet captivating sound and no doubt there rock n roll lifestyle.

Radiohead were successful with an experimental sound in a country in the 90's dominated by guitar based britpop bands. That is no mean feat.

Muse have both bands covered in terms of output in the 2000's. But that doesn't mean there better then Oasis or Radiohead.

All have live shows which pull massive audiences with varying styles. All have different attitudes. All have different fan bases. They are 3 different yet successful bands.

This arguing is silly, just listen to the music FFS.

Also, i never really listen to guitarists playing in bands, it is a lot harder to write a great song then it is to play guitar.

Muse are better musicans then Radiohead but i would say the 5 members of radiohead are collectively better songwriters who challenge themselves with their individual style.

Oasis never challenge themselves because they don't want to, it's there band they can do what they want.

Some could rightly take that as a negative but so what.

To judge the quality of a band i listen to the songs themselves, i don't take into account how good a band can 'shred' so to speak. The most important aspect of a song is the song itself.

If a song is s**t it is s**t, no matter how good the technical playing is.

I sure most people would take a great song over a technically proficient song.

That is why people like Bob Dylan are legends with the people while others are only legends at guitar schools.

Muse are better musicans then Radiohead
Dunno about this. I reckon Matt Bellamy is a better musician than anyone in Radiohead but I think that's where it ends. I honestly don't think the drummer could handle the complex rhythm of Pyramid Song or the bassist could handle the 7/8 breakdown section of Paranoid Android etc.

Dunno about this. I reckon Matt Bellamy is a better musician than anyone in Radiohead but I think that's where it ends. I honestly don't think the drummer could handle the complex rhythm of Pyramid Song or the bassist could handle the 7/8 breakdown section of Paranoid Android etc.

There'll be steam coming out now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back