Bad News...

Remove this Banner Ad

I love how the DT guys have no regard for game revenue or promotion, only how it will affect your dream team, love your work

Will provide more reason not to go with speculative picks who may or may not play, so it could give an advantage to those who choose a team of mid-priced players over a premium/rookie type combination, who will have to wait and see whether their players actually get selected.

A 7.40pm start would also help, but the 6.10pm start worked a treat this year crowd/TV wise, so expect more server shenanigans next season.

Oh goodie goodie more wait and see fun! there will be some nervous boys come friday arvo

So what?

It's the same situation for everyone.

The better dt's will have the less risky options and won't need to trade late. eg. Palmer wasn't selected first round last year but didn't need to be traded just before lockout.

Another easy solution is for the AFL to require team lists for round 1 to come in at 3pm instead of 5pm. It will give a couple of hours more for DTers to see the team lists and make the necessary changes. That should ease the burden on the servers.

There are 250,000 teams in the comp and it's an AFL arranged competition. Surely the AFL could help us out by changing the deadline for the naming of teams by 2 hours...

How about a Big footy petition to the AFL to change the time???

Another easy solution is for the AFL to require team lists for round 1 to come in at 3pm instead of 5pm. It will give a couple of hours more for DTers to see the team lists and make the necessary changes. That should ease the burden on the servers.

There are 250,000 teams in the comp and it's an AFL arranged competition. Surely the AFL could help us out by changing the deadline for the naming of teams by 2 hours...

250,000 teams? Since when? There wasn't even 130,000 at the start of last season.

Curtain raises to muted applause and a hacking cough.

Scene - Match Committee, Thursday 3.30PM. Carlton HQ (identities have been disguised to protect the innocent)

Bert enters in tracky daks and a windcheater. Match Committee seated at round table, feet on desk, ashtrays spilling butts onto table.

Committee (in unison): Hi Bert!
Bert: Hi guys, what's doing.
Bazza: Not much mate, we don't have a lot to do. Kick back and have a frothy with us!
Bert: Good one mate, just a small matter of picking the team! Tee hee. Now down to business. I was thinking of maybe a new role for Walks - maybe a start in the centre with a rotation at the 12 min...
Bazza, interrupting: Um, Bert, I don't think you get it mate. We've already submitted the team sheets. We're done and dusted.
Bert: What? without me? What the hell is going on?
Bazza: Yep all cleared. Chinwag faxed the sheets early to give the Dream Teamers a fair go this year. I must say, I feel some sympathy...last year my team was almost wiped wh...
Bert (his turn to interrupt): Shut the .... Up! You don't select the team without me! And if you didn't have your team ready, that's your own stup...
Chinwag: Ah, Bert, before you get too excited, don't you want to see the team? You're being very critical seeing you haven't...

Bert aggressively snatches paper out of Chinwag's hand.

Bert: What the bloomin hell! Koula? Are you deranged? He's retired you numbsk...and didn't we delist this guy???
Chinwag: Koula? retired? I must have mean to write Cazzarroman...
Bert: These DTers have done it this time! No cheap passes across half back, we will not attempt to tackle....complete change of gameplan! I will ensure the forwards give away frees every time the ball comes near!

Bert continues (rambling now): I can't believe I come off the training track to this shambles! Why it was just this morning I was saying...

Lights dim as Avril Lavinge's "Complicated" starts in the background and Bert's voice fades into nothingness.

Characters exit stage left.

Not sure where I heard the 250,000 from maybe total teams in all DT comps.

But I'm not the only one with this thought. The below is a quote from the Fanfooty blog...

"The obvious solution would be to introduce a special regulation just for round 1 to require the 12 clubs playing after Friday to submit extended squads on the Wednesday night or Thursday morning, so as to at least spread out the huge amount of traffic that flows to the VirtualSports servers on opening day.
The AFL knows that Dream Team is big business for them now."

Not sure where I heard the 250,000 from maybe total teams in all DT comps.

But I'm not the only one with this thought. The below is a quote from the Fanfooty blog...

"The obvious solution would be to introduce a special regulation just for round 1 to require the 12 clubs playing after Friday to submit extended squads on the Wednesday night or Thursday morning, so as to at least spread out the huge amount of traffic that flows to the VirtualSports servers on opening day.
The AFL knows that Dream Team is big business for them now."
Don't bump 4 month old threads.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not overly relevant, but I read this morning in the paper that the AFL is considering making the final team sheets required 90 minutes before the game instead of 40, due to dodgy betting patterns in the lead up to the teams being released. Could make things easier on a Friday night.

250,000 is about right, might be 300,000 this year.

230,000 in '07 and just over 200,000 last year. But not all are in for round 1, more join each week.
Bit of a plateau last year, and now the breakout???

Ive never had a problem with lockout, but if i did,i would be furious...

:D

It was only so few because it opened so late. SC opened about a month (maybe more?) before DT last year, so everyone did that instead.
Reduced time on ground then?

Im glad its open earlier - to be honest i was getting frustrated by all the price changes going around, and the changes in magic number, so to get it locked in early is easier. Also smart of VS - now is when people come back into footy, and if DT isnt open, theyll head straight for supercoach (lads at my footy team did this year too!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back