Last time they met:

N/A

Betting Odds

Brisbane: $1.14; GWS: $3.52

Weather Report

Fine, mostly sunny. Min 13 Max 23

Re: Round 8: GWS Giants v Brisbane Lions

Preview by dlanod

After a couple of tough weeks, I know plenty of people on this board having us losing to GWS after very average games against Essendon and Collingwood. I'll state straight off that I've seen all the games for both teams save for our Geelong game, and I don't think this one is in danger.

Almost without fail our games have gone as expected. We've beaten those we should and lost to those who should beat us. The only massive disappointment has been the uncompetitive game against Essendon and first quarter against Collingwood.

GWS has shown pluck, and has been willing to pounce on teams that ease up for a quarter or two (or three... hey, Carlton!). However it's only really last week where they put three quarters of their own together to beat the kids down the road. Overall I think they may be able to give us a scare, but hopefully it will be more like our game against the GC. After the loss to GC last year we're not the kind of team to take a game against GWS lightly, which is the circumstance in which I see us losing. GWS's win against GC will only reinforce that.

GWS's forward line is very "unpredictable" (to borrow a phrase). Those playing as key positions include Cameron, a Sam Reid-like player with better goal sense who can take a speccy, Giles when resting as a strong ruckman, Folau and occasionally Davis. Personally I think we match up really well, with Maguire on Giles, Patfull on Cameron and Drummond on Folau with the ability to run off. Golby will go to Smith. I'm assuming Merrett will remain forward as the second ruck, though I hope Hudson comes back in and we move Longer up to the forward line (Merrett moving down back).

Our own forward line is pretty much dysfunctional at the moment. Brown looks like he's at 3/4s of what he used to be, which is still better than most around. Merrett and Longer are tokens up forward. Ace should come back in, and used in conjunction with Brown and Karnesis. Realistically I think this will be a wash, as GWS has Davis, Cornes, Mohr, Bugg and Kennedy all capable of good run with roles, with most capable of providing run out of the defensive 50 as well.

Midfield should be a win for us - Rich, Redden and Rockliff (etc) will have the body advantage over most of the GWS kids. Even Ward, Scully and Palmer are of similar size. GWS's big advantage (much like GC) is their ability to win the ball. Both recruited well for this, but once they have it they can be taken advantage of with their overuse of the ball (much like us from time to time) or just inexperienced kicks booting it to players under pressure.

Overall we should be getting up by 40-ish points. Our backline should be able to defuse attacking forays, and our forward line and mids drifting forward should be just good enough to put up more than enough points.

pauldrc

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner Brisbane Lions - Charlie Cameron Player Sponsor 2020 Dream Team Club Board Winner Brisbane Lions - Charlie Cameron Player Sponsor 2019 Brisbane Lions - Hugh McCluggage Player Sponsor 2018 Brisbane Lions - Hugh McCluggage Player Sponsor 2017 Brisbane Lions - Allen Christensen Player Sponsor 2016 Brisbane Lions - Dayne Beams Player Sponsor 2015 Brisbane Lions - Pearce Hanley Player Sponsor 2014 Brisbane Lions - 2013 Elliot Yeo Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - 2013 Daniel Rich Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2012 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2011 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Brisbane 2010 Player Sponsor
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GC Suns

I've watched all the Giants games (for DT purposes) and have been very impressed with their kids, their toughness, ball-winning ability, skill and speed they have is really good, and we will need to be on the top of our game to win.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if we lose this one. JB will be the difference, and if he can kick 5, then I think we win....otherwise, we will be in for another bad night....

Milk Steak

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Detroit Lions

I've watched all the Giants games (for DT purposes) and have been very impressed with their kids, their toughness, ball-winning ability, skill and speed they have is really good, and we will need to be on the top of our game to win.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if we lose this one. JB will be the difference, and if he can kick 5, then I think we win....otherwise, we will be in for another bad night....

I'm not saying this to be a smart ass, every week I read a comment saying "if Browny kicks 5,we will win" haha. Just an observation,hopefully he finally does.

In: Stiller, Cornelius, Bewick, Adcock

Out: Hanley (injured) Patfull, Banfield, Polkinghorne (Omitted)

I would be playing Merrett at Full Back and Stiller on the Half Back Flank.

Adcock as a straight swap for Polkinghorne

Cornelius at Full Forward.

Zorko would start in a straight swap for Banfield and Bewick would be Substitute.

To suggest that we need to win this one would be a massive understatement.

P.S. I just read an article in today's Herald Sun by Greg Davis, Lions hearts, minds questioned, where Angus Johnson was quoted as saying:

" I think there's a few players at Brisbane Lions who really to have a long, hard look at themselves ... I'm not convinced that everyone on our list understands what you need to be an elite footballer ...I'm talking about blokes who don't show commitment for the whole four quarters."

If this is the case, I would expect the axe to swing this week at team selection. If not, then there are a few possibilities that occur to me:

1. Voss thinks Angus Johnson is wrong and this will be reflected at team selection.
2. The players Johnson alludes to are in the reserves and will be staying there.
3. Johnson feels that Voss is incapable of or unwilling to "put a rocket up the players," so he feels the need to do it for him, hoping that his intervention will turn these players around.
4. All of the above to varying degrees.

Whatever the case may be, it's a worrying observation by Johnson and one that a few of us have felt to be true based on our exposed form over the last couple of years.

It is also a bad sign for Voss, because the clear sub-text is that Voss, as coach, has not been able to instill a sense of professionalism and dedication in a number of players.

Freakie

Cool cool cool
10k Posts Pantskyle Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2012 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2011 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Todd Banfield 2010 Player Sponsor
Oct 23, 2009
Fitzroy?
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
The Roys FC
I'm just glad GWS won their first game last week! Seriously worried (prob with no foundation) about this game.

I'm just glad GWS won their first game last week! Seriously worried (prob with no foundation) about this game.
I am the same and I think it is because it is a terrible feeling not having any trust in what your club will produce on a week to week basis.

All logic suggests that this will be a comfortable win. And yet, there's that part of me that says "what if we lose?"

BrisbaneLion9636

All Australian
May 9, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I know this will be a very strange ask, but what if Brown gets rested? That way, we can go back to the way we were playing in Round 1 this year, no Brown and the team had to earn the goals instead of kicking it to Brown everytime. Besides, it looks like he needs a break anyway.

Matt_BL

All Australian
May 9, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

In: Stiller, Cornelius, Bewick, Adcock

Out: Hanley (injured) Patfull, Banfield, Polkinghorne (Omitted)

I would be playing Merrett at Full Back and Stiller on the Half Back Flank.

Adcock as a straight swap for Polkinghorne

Cornelius at Full Forward.

Zorko would start in a straight swap for Banfield and Bewick would be Substitute.

To suggest that we need to win this one would be a massive understatement.
Wouldn't be dropping Patfull, he's experienced and knows what he's doing down back. Banfield and Polkinghorne judging by what Angus Johnson has said may find themselves playing reserve level this week. If Docherty is ready he might come in for Hanley but the safer option i agree would be Stiller. Acorn won't be back i don't think but we'll see.

IMO In: Stiller, Adcock, Hudson
Out: Hanley, Polkinghorne, Banfield

Stiller takes hanley's spot Adock into the midfield, Merret down to Fullback and Billy Longer down at FF with Zorko to take Banfield's spot in the foward pocket. Would be a more structually sound team. In 2010 our defence was OK with 3 talls down their but two are in form and Merrett can work himself into the game.

I know this will be a very strange ask, but what if Brown gets rested? That way, we can go back to the way we were playing in Round 1 this year, no Brown and the team had to earn the goals instead of kicking it to Brown everytime. Besides, it looks like he needs a break anyway.

I don't think that's a huge concern. The last couple of weeks we've had so few chances to go inside 50 that we don't see to be going to Brown excessively as a result. Silver lining?

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think Brown still needs to find some form so a good outing against GWS might really get him going this season.

Freakie

Cool cool cool
10k Posts Pantskyle Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2012 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2011 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Todd Banfield 2010 Player Sponsor
Oct 23, 2009
Fitzroy?
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
The Roys FC
In: Freakie
Out: Banfield

I really cannot see how we could lose this game. As poorly as we've been playing, we're still quite a few levels above GWS.

Was at Manuka on Saturday and it was very much rope-a-dope tactics that got the Giants home. Gold Coast looked much the better team from quarter time to about ten minutes into the final quarter. Their sloppiness moving the ball into the forwardline was their undoing. Power and Cornes were good all game, but particularly at the start of the final term when the Suns easily could have had four or five goals.

Assuming Banfield doesn't get the chop, I expect him to be sent to closely follow Power. He is an extremely important part of GWS' defensive set-up and their youngsters look for him to bring the ball out of the backline.

If Lester plays, he may get a similar role on Cornes. Polkinghorne might be another option.

Ward and Coniglio are the key to GWS' midfield. Palmer, Scully, Green, Townsend, Shiel, Tyson et al are all good, tough players but they all tend to butcher the ball when they get it. Ward and Coniglio though can really use it well under pressure.

My first instinct is that Raines should go to Ward, as he's their most dangerous midfielder. But maybe it's best to send him to Coniglio. Coniglio has never had a tag at AFL level and he doesn't win as much of his own ball.

Ruck is a bit of a problem for us. Giles has been excellent and is very canny at drifting forward and providing another marking option. He does not look like a bloke who's only played seven AFL games. I think I'd rather see Hudson go against him than Longer. Not so worried about Phillips, who looked out of his depth last week.

GWS' forwards really shouldn't pose any kind of problem for us. Maguire will go to Folau and shouldn't have any problems. Patfull will go to Cameron, and that's a reasonable matchup for us. Cameron has kicked a couple of big bags but he's still very green.

At the other end, I guess Davis will take Brown, and Mohr will take Merrett. Voss might be tempted to bring Acorn back beause unless Hombsch plays that's pretty much it for the GWS key defenders.

This might be a good week to push Rocky up forward again. Would be very tough for Kennedy or Bugg to contain him, and it would force Power or Cornes to be accountable if Sheedy/Williams felt they had to use one of them.

All in all, there are vey few reasons to think GWS are any kind of chance. Their gameplan is mostly based around physicality and tackling, and I think we do that a lot better than they do. Plus they really butcher the ball. It's a shame Hanley's out but if we can get the ball into the hands of Drummond and Rich to pump it forward than we can really exploit their turnovers.

We will need to have a really, really bad day to let them get close. I think we'll win by about twelve goals.

I'm thinking Raines to Ward purely because he's their only top-notch midfielder. Redden or Rockliff on Coniglio should be done with an instruction that they have to pay him some respect. Apart from that, love the write-up. :thumbsu:

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
What would people be happy with; just a win, a 5 goal win, a 10 goal win or a 15+ goal win?

What would people be happy with; just a win, a 5 goal win, a 10 goal win or a 15+ goal win?
After the way we played following the Melbourne and Gold Coast games, we could win this game by 20 goals and it would give me no more confidence in the side.

Power would have to be top 3 in GWS's best and fairest at the moment. Ward, Power, Giles (maybe Davis as well?)

Given our current form and Angus Johnson's intervention after the Collingwood game, you might have opened one of these POBT!

open-a-can-of-worms.jpg

Remember, Power, a player who was a consummate professional in his preparation and everything he did at Brisbane, was a player who could not be guaranteed a senior game in 2012. ;)

Given our current form and Angus Johnson's intervention after the Collingwood game, you might have opened one of these POBT!

open-a-can-of-worms.jpg

Remember, Power, a player who was a consummate professional in his preparation and everything he did at Brisbane, was a player who could not be guaranteed a senior game in 2012. ;)
Was always going to come up this week.

To be honest, he'd be getting a game each week for us but that's an indication of where we are at as a football club.

pauldrc

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner Brisbane Lions - Charlie Cameron Player Sponsor 2020 Dream Team Club Board Winner Brisbane Lions - Charlie Cameron Player Sponsor 2019 Brisbane Lions - Hugh McCluggage Player Sponsor 2018 Brisbane Lions - Hugh McCluggage Player Sponsor 2017 Brisbane Lions - Allen Christensen Player Sponsor 2016 Brisbane Lions - Dayne Beams Player Sponsor 2015 Brisbane Lions - Pearce Hanley Player Sponsor 2014 Brisbane Lions - 2013 Elliot Yeo Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - 2013 Daniel Rich Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2012 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2011 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Brisbane 2010 Player Sponsor
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GC Suns

I'm not saying this to be a smart ass, every week I read a comment saying "if Browny kicks 5,we will win" haha. Just an observation,hopefully he finally does.

Agree, although I meant this more as I think this actually is his chance to kick a bag, given the GWS's young defence doesn't perhaps yet have the size to hold him like other teams have been able to so far....

Power would have to be top 3 in GWS's best and fairest at the moment. Ward, Power, Giles (maybe Davis as well?)

Those four plus Cornes have been the five standouts, IMO. But the way Coniglio is tracking I wouldn't bet against him beating all of them to be their inaugural B&F winner. He really was excellent.

I'd say Bugg, Greene, Cameron and Coniglio have been the best of the teenagers.

After the way we played following the Melbourne and Gold Coast games, we could win this game by 20 goals and it would give me no more confidence in the side.

Agreed. All I want from this game is four points and no injuries. GWS are not the standard that we should measure ourselves by.

Agree he'd be getting games, but would that be what we need as a team right now? Most would argue that no it's not.

Agree with this too.

Agree he'd be getting games, but would that be what we need as a team right now? Most would argue that no it's not.

power17.jpg

Professionalism, skill, dedication, experience, composure, outstanding disposal skills and the ability to lead by example. I think we definitely need a bit of this in the side at the minute.

On current form, I'd rather have Power running around in the forward line than Banfield.

P.S. Because there are a lot of "ifs" "buts" and "maybes" with this one, that's my last word on the subject. I know at the end of the day there is nothing but love on this board for Luke and some of us are less well adjusted to him playing at another club than others. Good luck to him and I hope he is enjoying his footy and wins the GWS B & F.

P.P.S If he stays in the "football industry," I'm tipping Power has what it takes to be a successful coach at senior AFL level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back