Preview Rd 8 Carlton v Adelaide Sunday 20th May @ Etihad @ 3.15pm - Final Team post #238

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outs: Joseph
Ins: Yarran
Sub: Curnow

Re: Rd 8 Carlton v Adelaide Sunday 20th May @ Etihad @ 3.15pm

How many times have we beaten them in recent years? Last year is the only one i can think of.
This could get really ugly so will be interesting to see how the side comes up after such a poor effort last night.
Coming off a 6 day break and our 3rd week in a row on Etihad.
Not expecting to win and hope Jacobs doesnt tear us apart.
Ratten has to show some balls and make changes but then again there is not much to bring in is there?

How many times have we beaten them in recent years? Last year is the only one i can think of.
This could get really ugly so will be interesting to see how the side comes up after such a poor effort last night.
Coming off a 6 day break and our 3rd week in a row on Etihad.
Not expecting to win and hope Jacobs doesnt tear us apart.
Ratten has to show some balls and make changes but then again there is not much to bring in is there?

Unfortunately that is the truth, no pressure on Garlett, Gibbs, Waite etc as the cupboard is bare.

If you had of asked me last night probably would of wanted 8 changes but will try to be more realistic.

Out:
Curnow- didnt have a great game, looked a bit slow and sloppy. Time to reward Brocks VFL form with a 2-3 weel run then make a call one or the other and stick with them for finals.
Jordi/2E- Both have stagnated a little lately and one to make way for Yaz if fit.
Joesph- I really like him and although was quite poor last night wasnt as dissapointed in him as I was with others. Will be back but might need to find his feet/confidence at a lower level.

In:
Brock- Got beat up inside last night and the crows are more than capable of doing it to us again. Not the worlds greatest player, mover or user but should help us inside with a bit of grunt. Has something to prove. Brock coupled with a better effort on the inside by like of Murph etc would go along way to fixing our problems as Saints beat up on us in the inside footy.
Yaz- If fit is an automatic. If not maybe bootsma as sub again or look at another runner as the sub.
Tbird- As sub. Can play forward or back.

Notes-

Pauly B- Was poor last night but had a good game last week. Give him a rocket and a further chance
Duigan- down a bit lately. 2nd year blues. Think we are finding out quickly that Laids was our find of 2011. Needs to get back to his 11 form quick as was tough and dependable.
Jeffy- Faith needs to be kept with him like was shown in Betts last year. Needs to turn it around though.

Joesph- I really like him and although was quite poor last night wasnt as dissapointed in him as I was with others. Will be back but might need to find his feet/confidence at a lower level.

Poor game yes but he puts his body on the line. Needs to be given more chances based on endeavour alone.

Thornton in for mine for either russell or bower to make way as the sub.

Agreed on Curnow... out for mclean ... ouch that hurt...

Brock McLean, seriously? I know he is a great guy and has a fantastic work ethic but he isn't a top-4 team footballer in 2012. If we're looking to Brock then we're in more trouble than I thought.

Brock McLean, seriously? I know he is a great guy and has a fantastic work ethic but he isn't a top-4 team footballer in 2012. If we're looking to Brock then we're in more trouble than I thought.

Inside the stoppages we are! We are getting beat up in the contest and in inside footy. Brock cant do alot of things but he can help out in this regard.

Can't afford to make too many changes, even if half the side probably does deserve to be dropped.

Next week is a huge game. We were horrendous last night, probably the worst I've seen us play in years. I can handle losing if it's clear we've done the best we can and have simply been outclassed. Last night, however - simply inexcusable. We are a significantly better side than St Kilda who destroyed us because they wanted it more. We were scared to put bodies on the line and it really showed.

Regardless, we're still 5-2. Win next week and we're still in a healthy position. Lose, and we're right back with the pack. Adelaide are flying at the moment but I don't believe they are real top 4 material at the moment. I certainly believe us to be the better side, and the game being at home helps enormously. But that all counts for nothing if we're beaten to each and every contest. Quite simply, we have to make a statement next weekend. We believe ourselves to be genuine contenders, and it's time to show it. Be hard and uncompromising at the ball and at the man. Don't let them get in our faces early, as the Aints did last night. Don't let them get going early and dictate the game on their terms.

I was disgusted last night at the sight of some of our players refusing to go in when it was their turn to go. Time and time again the St Kilda players were hungrier, tougher and more desperate for the ball. They attacked us early, got in our faces, and we basically folded for them. If that happens again I'll be absolutely livid.

AJ, Tuohy, Russell, Duigan and Bower are all in danger of losing their spot for different reasons. Jeffy also needs a rocket but he won't be dropped and rightly so. As for who comes in, who knows. Yarran would be a certainty if he's fit. Thornton should probably come back in as well.

Carrazzo would be handy on Scott Thompson who is a gun. Really need to clamp down on him and try to limit his influence.

Walker out for them is a huge bonus for us. But that counts for nothing if we let them destroy us out of the middle. McEvoy and Fisher weren't playing last night and we were still made to look 3rd rate in effort and intensity. It all stems from the midfield and how we approach the contest. Effort can lessen the blow of missing important players. If we're 2nd to the ball in every contest then Walker being absent will hardly be noticeable.

If you had of asked me last night probably would of wanted 8 changes but will try to be more realistic.

Out:
Curnow- didnt have a great game, looked a bit slow and sloppy. Time to reward Brocks VFL form with a 2-3 weel run then make a call one or the other and stick with them for finals.
Jordi/2E- Both have stagnated a little lately and one to make way for Yaz if fit.

In:
Brock- Got beat up inside last night and the crows are more than capable of doing it to us again. Not the worlds greatest player, mover or user but should help us inside with a bit of grunt. Has something to prove. Brock coupled with a better effort on the inside by like of Murph etc would go along way to fixing our problems as Saints beat up on us in the inside footy.
Yaz- If fit is an automatic. If not maybe bootsma as sub again or look at another runner as the sub.
Tbird- As sub. Can play forward or back.

Notes-

Pauly B- Was poor last night but had a good game last week. Give him a rocket and a further chance
Duigan- down a bit lately. 2nd year blues. Think we are finding out quickly that Laids was our find of 2011. Needs to get back to his 11 form quick as was tough and dependable.
Jeffy- Faith needs to be kept with him like was shown in Betts last year. Needs to turn it around though.

Can see only two or three changes happening. These being:
- Yarren for Aaron Joseph
- Thornton for Bower. Although Bower was not the worst, he misses targets by foot way to often & just ends up kicking it long to the opposition. Plus Taylor Walker is ruled out for this game & I think Thornton offers a fair amount more up forward than Bower.
- Either Kane Lucas or Bootsma for Russell who has completely lost his Mojo.

OUT:
Joseph (and should never play again for us)
Bower (just isn't up to it when ask to be an accountable defender or any type of user of the ball)
Duigan (I love the guy, but he needs to find his form in the Ants)
Russell (he needs to find some form in the Ants as well)

IN:
Yaz
Thornton
Bootsma
Lucas

Ellard is a no brainer to start on the field this time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the crows are number 1 for contested possession and clearances. the crows have won the contested ball count every game this year

The crows have not won in Melbourne since round 22, 2009 against Carlton. that is about 15-16 games since.

Do you guys believe Taylor walker should have been suspended for his tackle on harry Taylor? and before you response would you be happy for a key player like Waite, Murphy or Judd to miss a game for a similar tackle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1edTDn594c

Can see only two or three changes happening. These being:
- Yarren for Aaron Joseph
- Thornton for Bower. Although Bower was not the worst, he misses targets by foot way to often & just ends up kicking it long to the opposition. Plus Taylor Walker is ruled out for this game & I think Thornton offers a fair amount more up forward than Bower.
- Either Kane Lucas or Bootsma for Russell who has completely lost his Mojo.

Has lost his speed, what happened to this guy.

Out: Joseph, Curnow, Duigan

In: Yarran, McLean, Lucas

Russell sub. Bang make it happen

Duigan will be persisted with as long as Laidler is out of the side. Yarren will 100% come in for Joseph. Unfortunately Brock Mclean will struggle to get a game ahead of Curnow as his pace is a major issue. He is a very very very VFL player & a average AFL due to his pace.

the crows are number 1 for contested possession and clearances. the crows have won the contested ball count every game this year

The crows have not won in Melbourne since round 22, 2009 against Carlton. that is about 15-16 games since.

Do you guys believe Taylor walker should have been suspended for his tackle on harry Taylor? and before you response would you be happy for a key player like Waite, Murphy or Judd to miss a game for a similar tackle

That's a very reckless tackle by Taylor Walker & deserves the two weeks. Pinned both of Taylor's arms & slammed him head first into the turf.

No but i can see why they did, you have to understand AFL will be non contact in 2 years time. all players will have to wear ribbons, when the ribbon is removed the tackle has been laid. Its called touch footy now but soon it will just the AFL.

That's a very reckless tackle by Taylor Walker & deserves the two weeks. Pinned both of Taylor's arms & slammed him head first into the turf.

spot on the way i was taught to tackle, word for word.

Its only wrong now because the AFL wants to ban anything that come close to a hard contest.

Just don't understand how Joseph is still getting games, i also must've been watching a different game for JR, he kept Goddard to 10 touches at ht, until he had to move into the defence cause AJ was just that bad

spot on the way i was taught to tackle, word for word.

Its only wrong now because the AFL wants to ban anything that come close to a hard contest.

Player Safety & Welfare are a high priority ATM.:eek:

Do you guys believe Taylor walker should have been suspended for his tackle on harry Taylor?

There's 2 different questions here.
Given the rule changes over the last couple of years, that is clearly an offense that deserves a week or 2.
3 years ago it wouldn't have been looked at.

Vince is most likely to come back for the Collingwood game. he said this during the Adelaide Geelong game.

expect either Mckernan most likely or Lynch to come in for Walker and
maybe Sam Shaw for Jarryd Lyons.

I'm not happy about T.Walker being rubbed out because I want us to face the best team the opposition can possibly throw at us. But that tackle was reckless and he deserved the suspension. I wouldn't be happy about losing one of our top players because of that, but I would put the blame entirely on the player.

As for CP and CL count, yep you guys are killing it and we've probably been the worst in the past month. Not a good sign at all.

The bad news for us is, I saw nothing from the team last night to indicate that they are starting to pull themselves out of the slump. Apart from the last 5 mins of that third quarter we were very average with our intesity yet again. It was so bad that the players looked disinterested at stages.

I expect us to start getting that part right against the Crows but I don't think we'll sustain it if we do.

The question placed on Adelaide will be can they sustain their good form? Tough fought win against Sydney and then a dominant display against Geelong, now they'll need another very good showing against us, can they beat 3 of the best teams in a row?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back