Preview ANZAC Day - All ins and outs discussion in here

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Collingwood vs Essendon (14/04/2012):

Observations:

Collingwood: The pies have had what could be called an interesting start to the season. Losing first up to Hawthorn, beating Richmond, getting smashed by Carlton and limping over the line against Port Adelaide. Missing 9 of their 22 from last year’s Grand Final they look a shell of their former selves. They’re yet to prove themselves against quality opposition this season.

Essendon: Played what was decent to good football for the first 3 rounds. They went into the last game at odds of $7.50. Now they’re 4 wins and 0 losses. A huge win against their biggest rivals has been extremely beneficial. Essendon probably head into the game as favourites, and will be very happy with their season so far. Hurley going out is a big loss

Head-to-Head (last 5) : Collingwood 5- Essendon 0

Form:

Essendon: W-W-W-W
Collingwood: L-W-L-W

Odds (forecasted by me because the forecasting website sucks) Collingwood $2.10 Essendon $1.70

Possible Teams:

Collingwood:
B: O’Brien-Keefe-Johnson
HB: Maxwell-N Brown-Goldsack
C: Swan-Ugle-Sidebottom
HF: Beams-Cloke-Seedsman
F: Fasolo-Dawes-Ceglar
R: Jolly-Pendlebury-Wellingham
I: Clarke-Blair-Toovey
S: Elliot

Essendon:
B: Fletcher-Pears-Hibberd
HB: Dempsey-Hooker-Dyson
C: Melksham-Watson-Heppell
HF: Dell’Olio-Ryder-Zaharakis
F: Crameri-Carlisle-Jetta
R: Bellchambers-Hocking-Stanton
I: Howlett-Davey-Lonergan
S: Colyer

Key Match-Ups:

Brent Stanton vs Dane Swan: These two are probably the two fittest blokes in the AFL, with Nick Riewoldt getting an honourable mention. Swan has had variable form, giving a glimpse against Port Adelaide of how good he is. Brent Stanton has started like a house on fire. He’s been Essendon’s best on two occasions, and has averaged 29 disposals in the first 4 games and is undoubtedly in what most would call the ‘elite’ category. This is the contest that I’d pay my money to see.

Cale Hooker vs Travis Cloke: Cale Hooker has been severely underrated by opposition fans. He’s probably the best lock down key defender at Essendon. Travis Cloke is the premier Centre Half-Forward of the competition. This promises to be a fantastic match-up, and I really can’t split them.

Lachlan Keefe vs Jake Carlisle: Funny thing football. In the last Essendon vs Collingwood game, these two played on each other. Now they renew acquaintances, except at the other end of the ground. Carlisle is renowned as having sticky hands but unable to convert, and Keefe has been very good in the absence of Reid, Tarrant and Brown, and is currently the best key defender at Collingwood. My natural bias leans towards Carlisle so Essendon can be 1-0 up of the three key match-ups :p

Keys for each team:

Essendon:
• Keep going all game. They’ve faded out of the game at some point each week.
• Kick accurately- Essendon have wasted good chances in the forward line in every game. Will want to improve heavily in that regard
• Win the contested ball. Collingwood rely on it. Win it, you win the game

Collingwood:
• Spread. Essendon’s spread from the contest was incredible last game, Collingwood need to spread well compared to what they did against Carlton.
• Break even in the ruck. Essendon have the form ruck pairing in the comp, if Collingwood can nullify that Essendon won’t be as dangerous
• Don’t be Cloke-conscious. Dawes and Ceglar are good avenues to goal, use them.

Summary:

Essendon are in the best spot they’ve been in since 2000. They’re playing the best football in the post-Sheedy era. The injuries are a worry, but with players like Lovett-Murray, Colyer, Dempsey and Carlisle who all have claims to being in the first 25 players selected back will be a boost for the dons.

Collingwood are in questionable form, they’ve struggled against Richmond and Port Adelaide for their wins, and have been embarrassed by Carlton and Hawthorn in their losses. This is a big stage, and will be the first ANZAC Day game for players like Seedsman, Ceglar, Fasolo, Keefe and Elliot, so the second biggest stage in the AFL may be a little unnerving for the youngsters.

Tip: Essendon were struggling two weeks ago. Now apparently they’re flying. Collingwood have the top end talent but their depth looks a little shaky. Most of the bombers have played on the big stage before, and form should be taken with a grain of salt. Essendon by 9

Changes: R5 - Collingwood

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsartic...7/default.aspx

Out: Hurley plus up to 5 more according to Hird.
In: Possibles include Travis Colyer, Courtenay Dempsey, Kyle Reimers, Jake Carlisle, Henry Slattery and Mark Baguley according to Hird.
None of these players played for bendigo today, neither did Davis, Kavanagh, Steinberg for no particular reason I know of.

Carlisle for Hurley is an obvious change. Pretty confident they held Dempsey back for Wednesday knowing he'd never make both games anyway. Would be interesting to see what people think the others will be. Those who've had some of the heaviest loads would be Ryder, Watson, Stanton, Fletcher, Hardingham, Howlett. All important players, but could see any of these except maybe Ryder missing.

Re: Changes: R5 - Collingwood

Chance that one of our senior/better players get the sub vest. Dell will start, that much is for certain.

Dempsey, Colyer and Carlisle are already confirmed certainties.

We do have a 9 - day turnaround once Wednesdays game is done, so plenty of time for the players to recover.
The 9 day turnaround after Collingwood's game doesn't exactly help us for this week though does it. Players will miss through general soreness 100% guaranteed, Hird's suggested 5-6 changes won't be far from the mark.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsartic...7/default.aspx

out: Hurley plus up to 5 more according to hird.
In: Possibles include travis colyer, courtenay dempsey, kyle reimers, jake carlisle, henry slattery and mark baguley according to hird.
None of these players played for bendigo today, neither did davis, kavanagh, steinberg for no particular reason i know of.

Carlisle for hurley is an obvious change. Pretty confident they held dempsey back for wednesday knowing he'd never make both games anyway. Would be interesting to see what people think the others will be. Those who've had some of the heaviest loads would be ryder, watson, stanton, fletcher, hardingham, howlett. All important players, but could see any of these except maybe ryder missing.
slattery??????

Re: Anzac Day chances - **Keep the anticipation and speculation in here**

Nothing about the Pies today indicates that we can't beat them. Not saying you would put your house on an EFC win but I wouldn't put it on the Pies either..

Will be interesting to see where Hurley, NLM, Dempsey, McVeigh, Reimers, Hooker etc are at and how the boys pull up.

I definitely think it is anyone's game and I seriously can't wait.. best game of the year irrespective of the result imho but a bombers win would take the cake!!

Collingwood $1.72 favourites. Essendon $2.10. I would have thought these odds would be the other way around given the form of the sides or at least be $1.90/$1.90

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We will be a tougher proposition for an injury hit Collingwood than Port Adelaide was today.

Very glad the Pies got up today. The media scrutiny will be off them for the time being and I'm already hearing that they're "back" - I've got little doubt they will still feature heavily in September but at the moment they're still clearly not 100% and I will happily go into this game as underdogs.

Whats the go on Gumby? With Hurley out could we possibly give him a game?

We're in big trouble on Wednesday with 6 changes coming in.

Don't stress about changes.

Both teams will make 3 or 4 changes - Key will be the quality of the replacements.

We're in big trouble on Wednesday with 6 changes coming in.

If there are 6 Essendon team changes for Anzac Day, I will eat my hat...

It's amazing how people can take press conference comments out of context. Hird lists about 5 or 6 different names of players who could play a role on Anzac Day and come under selection consideration and all of a sudden there is apparently going to be 6 changes.

The only certain out at this stage is Hurley. Both teams receive an equal 4 day break, both played in warm conditions today & both have several key players out through injury. There is no advantage to either side.

Whatever changes we need to make, Collingwood will as well.

I feel that their depth is already being stretched as it is, and would have played as much premiership experience as possible against the Power to get a much needed win a midst all the bad publicity during the week. And when I say stretched, I mean it. We've been lucky to have not suffered long term injuries to crucial players and we seem to be getting a player or so back every other week.

However, they have had a win today nonetheless and are a recent premiership team. They have the ability to flick a switch if not for a whole year, but at least for a game here and there.

In the end, I feel that our back line has suffered the least outs of all - especially if Dempsey can come back next week. If we employ the same tactic that we did against Judd and Murphy, in that we play an extra man in the midfield and dominate the H/O, the back line will be able to keep the Pies to a losing score.

I'm hoping Crameri can do the goods on Collingwood's back line, particularly on Harry'O.

Whatever changes we need to make, Collingwood will as well.

I feel that their depth is already being stretched as it is, and would have played as much premiership experience as possible against the Power to get a much needed win a midst all the bad publicity during the week. And when I say stretched, I mean it. We've been lucky to have not suffered long term injuries to crucial players and we seem to be getting a player or so back every other week.

However, they have had a win today nonetheless and are a recent premiership team. They have the ability to flick a switch if not for a whole year, but at least for a game here and there.

In the end, I feel that our back line has suffered the least outs of all - especially if Dempsey can come back next week. If we employ the same tactic that we did against Judd and Murphy, in that we play an extra man in the midfield and dominate the H/O, the back line will be able to keep the Pies to a losing score.

I'm hoping Crameri can do the goods on Collingwood's back line, particularly on Harry'O.

Could be a key match-up, Harry-O really struggles against the thicker bodies.

I don't see any reason why we can't take them. Our confidence must be at an all-time high (for this group) and we are starting to spread the workload much better this year. If we bring the attitude we had today and everyone wants it bad enough, then we will win. I'm tipping a 27-ponit win.

Could be a key match-up, Harry-O really struggles against the thicker bodies.

Would be the best possible match up for us if it eventuated, but even if it didn't, no one can seem to stop the guy when he's on.

Crameri's inaccuracies are the only things stepping in his way to a 6+ goal game. He will continue to get his chances week in, week out. Watching this highlights package, you would think it was played today - such is the consistency in him as a potent forward for us.

[YOUTUBE]3rsk47ad59I[/YOUTUBE]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back