*cough*

Last Time against Gold Coast
*cough*

Most Goals vs Gold Coast
4 – D Motlop
2 – H Hartlett
2 – J Surjan

PREDICTION
Not at all confident on this one. So long as Ablett plays then things could go either way. I'd like to think our forward line might be able to stretch them and that our defence will be good enough for their forward line. But you just never know with our team. We could win comfortably, or we could lose comfortably. Im taking the optimistic route again

Port Adelaide by 8 points

If I Could Turn Back Time

2002 vs Collingwood – Friday Night Special

It was billed as the match of the round, Port vs Collingwood on Friday night at Football Park. Port had recovered from poor early season form to be in 3rd place on the ladder, after thrashing the likes of Carlton, West Coast and Geelong. Collingwood were 2nd on the ladder and had just beaten Brisbane in one of the matches of the decade.

There was a lot of pre match niggle in regards to the history of the clubs and the guernseys, with Collingwood refusing to wear a clash Guernsey, forcing Port Adelaide to garner a deal with Mars to wear their teal training Guernsey as part of a sponsorship deal. What was to follow was one of the matches of the season and one of the most underrated contests of the last 10 years.

After a slow start and losing Wanganeen to injury in the first 10 minutes, the opening quarter was all Port Adelaide. 4 goals in the last 5 minutes of the quarter to Guerra, Bishop, Dew and Kingsley saw Port Adelaide lead by 29 points at the first change. Some of the matchups were mouth watering. Carr vs Buckley, Mead vs Rocca, Bishop vs Tarrant, Francou vs Licuria, S Wakelin vs Tredrea.

The second quarter saw Collingwood steady and despite Port heading out to a 34 point lead, Collingwood kicked the last two goals of the quarter from free kicks to cut the margin to 22 points at the main change. Brent Guerra, Brett Montgomery, Matthew Primus and Damien Hardwick were great for the Power, whilst Tarkyn Lockyer, Shane O’Bree and Scott Burns were performing well for the Pies. After plenty of niggle throughout the second quarter, feelings boiled over at the half time break, with a wrestle between Buckley and Hardwick turning into an all in brawl as the teams came off the field.

Just as Collingwood did against Brisbane a week earlier, they hit Port Adelaide hard in the third quarter with 5 goals to 2. Adam Kingsley had kept Leon Davis in check in the first half and gave the Power valuable run from defence, but Malthouse pushed Davis back deeper into the 50, exploiting Kingsley’s poor one on one contested ability to kick 3 goals for the quarter. Brodie Holland and the ever improving Rubert Betheras kicked the other two goals for the quarter, whilst Primus and Peter Burgoyne kicked steadiers for the Power. The margin was 3 points at the last change and set for a ripper quarter.

The final quarter lived up to the match of the round billing. Rocca took a screamer and goaled from outside 50 to put Collingwood in front for the first time. Dew put the Power back in front moments later and two more goals to Peter Burgoyne from 50 and Dew’s second for the quarter saw Port get some breathing space. When Dew kicked his third goal for the final quarter with 2 minutes remaining on the clock, Port Adelaide led by 12 points and the match looked all but over. But with the dominant Matthew Primus forced from the ground before the next bounce down with the blood rule, Collingwood cleared and goaled through Scott Burns. With 55 seconds on the clock, Tarrant swung onto his left foot and booted the ball into 50 right into the line of the stream train that was Anthony Rocca.

A goal would tie the game with just seconds remaining. A behind would continue Rocca’s poor form with pressure situations in front of the sticks. Rocca kicked the ball with just 10 seconds remaining. It looked wide, then swung back and crossed the line over the goal post. The umpire signalled a behind, leaving 5 seconds on the clock and 5 points the margin. Port kicked in quickly to Nick Stevens who threw the ball in the air as the siren sounded. Port Adelaide had won a classic.

But it didn’t end there. Caught up in the emotion of a brutal match, Kane Cornes showed the bird to a couple of Collingwood players after the match, sparking another all in brawl as the players were heading off the field. It was a controversial end to a controversial week. Josh Francou was the star in the middle with 19 disposals and a number of critical clearances at stoppages. Matthew Primus was at his influential best with a goal and 21 hitouts. Josh Carr did a super job on Buckley. Darryl Wakelin had a strong game in defence with 10 marks whilst keeping Josh Fraser to just the 4 disposals and also creeping forward for the opening goal of the game. Hardwick, Montgomery and Bishop were also strong down back, whilst Dew kicked 4 crucial goals.

F: P Burgoyne / C Cornes / C Cockatoo-Collins
HF: S Dew / W Tredrea / B Guerra
C: R James / J Francou / A Kingsley
HB: D Hardwick / D Mead / G Wanganeen
B: M Bishop / D Wakelin / B Montgomery

R: M Primus / J Carr / N Stevens
I: K Cornes / B French / J Poulton / J Schofield

PA 6.1 / 8.4 / 10.6 / 14.7 91
CWD 1.2 / 4.6 / 9.9 / 12.14 86

BEST: Francou, Wakelin, Primus, Carr, Montgomery, Bishop, Dew
GOALS: Dew 4; P Burgoyne 2; Bishop, Cockatoo-Collins, Guerra, Kingsley, Primus, Tredrea, Wakelin

I think we'll win this one by a comfortable margin if we carry on playing with instinct and freedom. Kane to quell Ablett and give us a slight edge in the midfield, our defence to contain their small forwards much more effectively than last year, and our forward line to be too strong & tall. Would love to see a few genuine crumbing goals + 5 from Butch. Port by 33.

Great flashback Ford - I saw a replay of that game the other day and Eddie's attempts at impartial commentary made my ears bleed.

I am absolutely terrified and 10 minutes of sublime footy in 7 weeks doesn't make me feel otherwise at this stage.

If it all clicks we could smash them but it's hard to be confident when we're so downtrodden.

Optimistically tipping us by about goals in a contest that doesn't reach any great heights. Our team on paper looks so much better than the game last year.

But boy am I worked up over this.

Gold coast have led at half time for the past 3 weeks so I hope we put an end to that and come out firing. I expect us to win by 3 goals, hope we win by 10, and am a bit scared we will crumble and lose.

I don't expect to win this one, but on the same note I am not going to write it off.

We have been playing stronger at home in 2012, with our last 2 games coming down to the final minutes against Essendon and also Fremantle (whilst severely undermanned on the day)

In the end, I would say the winner will simply be the team who puts the closest to 4 quarters together. . . The fact the Suns are backing up from a tough, intense slog in wet conditions does not make me comfortable.

Port by 15

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stating the obvious, but if we are really on the right track with Primus and the current group, then we must win.

If not we are back to square one really.

How does Port go in the wet?

The forecast is predicting 7mm of rain on Friday and 12mm on Saturday.

Won't be ideal conditions, that's for sure.

Where did you get that from??

My investigation on BOM shows cool, windy and mostly sunny Max 20:

UPDATED Gold Coast
Forecast for Wednesday
Partly cloudy though remaining mostly fine with just the chance of an afternoon or evening shower. Light SW winds, becoming light to moderate NE in the afternoon.

Precis: Mostly fine, possible shower.Max 23
UV Alert from 9:50 am to 1:40 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 5 [Moderate]

Thursday A few showers. Min 15Max 24Friday Rain periods. Min 16Max 22Saturday Cool, windy, mostly sunny. Min 10Max 20Sunday Cool, fine, mostly sunny. Min 5Max 19M

Where did you get that from??

My investigation on BOM shows cool, windy and mostly sunny Max 20:

UPDATED Gold Coast
Forecast for Wednesday
Partly cloudy though remaining mostly fine with just the chance of an afternoon or evening shower. Light SW winds, becoming light to moderate NE in the afternoon.

Precis: Mostly fine, possible shower.Max 23
UV Alert from 9:50 am to 1:40 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 5 [Moderate]

Thursday A few showers. Min 15Max 24Friday Rain periods. Min 16Max 22Saturday Cool, windy, mostly sunny. Min 10Max 20Sunday Cool, fine, mostly sunny. Min 5Max 19M

It's completely changed in the span of a few hours. Go figure. :p

Now seems to be raining Friday. Completely fine on Saturday though.

It's completely changed in the span of a few hours. Go figure. :p

Now seems to be raining Friday. Completely fine on Saturday though.

Queensland weather - capricious one day, unpredictable the next.

This will all depend on how hard the midfield works.

This.

Our forward line should do well and our backs should win the battle. All comes down to midfield. Also, how quickly we move the ball. Had great success last week when we did this, would expect to see the same this weekend. Who knows though really...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back