Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Feb 26, 2003
Ballarat
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Renegades, victory, packers
Injuries are pretty bad in football. We all know that, but what is the worst injury you have seen on the footy field?

I thought that Gavin Dore's broken fibula was pretty sad and shocking to see. Luke Toia's broken neck was pretty bad. Joel Smith's broken leg a couple of years ago was really bad.

Richard Osborne when he clashed with Dale Lewis head at the SCG in 1993.

I thought he was going to die right there and then. Was scary seeing an ambulance on the scg.

Yep the situation when Osborne got injured (didnt they bring the ambulance onto the field that day).

Also the Swans player (think it was Cresswell) who dislocated his knee cap and was sitting on the ground punching his leg till it went back in wasnt a pretty site.

• Banned
Originally posted by Supermercado
Who was that Sydney guy who sat there batting his knee back into place after it had been dislocated a few seasons back? That was not so much "oh he's gonna die" but rather "oh that's disgusting!"
That was Darryn Cresswell

I once saw a guys femur sticking through the skin in a game of schoolboy rugby league. That was just plain nasty, and I can only imagine how much pain the poor bloke was in. I also shudder when I think of Cresswell knocking his knee back into place.

i was at the game when chris mainwaring had one of his shoulder bones coming through the skin, it was possibly the most disgusting things ive seen.

i also remember that time when creswell sat on the ground a knocked his knee cap into place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Michael Voss' lower leg doing a 180º twist midair while the rest of his body went straight ahead at Subi several years ago.

Sickening to see.

Originally posted by Andrew Mc
I remember that one - it was doing the rounds as an mpeg via email...

Ah yes, it did too. I remember watching the game and the initial view was from the front and the commentators were saying that he appeared to have a leg injury but not sure exactly what. Then they showed the reverse angle and the commentators recoiled in horror!! Ouch!!

Originally posted by Ted Pellitts
Dave Busst when Denis Irwin fell on his leg.

Seconded. Saw one similar at a club game in the ammo's once, poor b@stard was still screaming whrn the ambos rocked up.

Peter Caven didn't look too good after Plugger ran through him at the SCG. Voss' leg looked awful when it was broken.

Quite a few years ago a Footscray player, Sasche or something like that, got a broken neck on the field. It was made worse by a teammate shaking him while he was lying on the ground.

Any sport? I've got another NFL one.

When Lawrence Taylor broke Joe Theismann's leg on Monday Night Football, essentially ending Theismann's career. Taylor was one of the toughest players of the era, and after he'd seen the carnage he'd caused, he stood over Theismann and sobbed like a child. ABC must have replayed it about 10 times, each angle more sickening than before.

If you've ever seen the Simpsons episode where Homer rents "Football's Greatest Injuries", and complains to Marge that "you made me miss Joe Theismann", this is where that reference comes from.

Still one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen.

Originally posted by Supermercado
Who was that Sydney guy who sat there batting his knee back into place after it had been dislocated a few seasons back? That was not so much "oh he's gonna die" but rather "oh that's disgusting!"

All he needed to do was straighten his leg and it would have gone back in for him.

Michael Voss's broken leg. That was a shocker.

Tom Alvin breaking his arm against Melbourne, in I think either '93 or a couple of years later. When he was going off you could see if arm flapping in the wind.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back