Soccer is 'Football'

Remove this Banner Ad

I heard that Wayne Rooney walked away unhurt from a collision with a truck whilst driving his sports car, yesterday.

That seems strange considering whenever anyone goes near him in a game he falls over in agony.

Seriously get over the whole AFL vs Soccer/Football debate guys!!!

Considering the rest of the world calls soccer football i dont have a problem with it.

btw the premierleague is great in the offseason!!!! except man city suck :(

Thierry Henry said:
"Soccer" is a great sport. Anyone who denies that is kidding themselves.

baaaaaaaawaaaaa hahahahahahahahaha ahahahahahahahahhahaa hahahahahahahahhahahahaha ahahahahahahahahhahahahahahaha.....

you crack me up... soccer is a great sport .. baaaaaawaaaaaah hahahahahahahahahahahaa ahahahahahahahahahahhahahhaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Who cares if they want to call it football. It is just a name. Will anyone honestly start calling soccer football just because the new league has changed their name?

Soccer will never challenge footy because of the fact if you want o be the best, you have to leave Australia, and for many kids, that is just too much, so footy will always win out.

By the by - who cares also what the rest of the world calls it. i didn;t realise the rest fo the world decides things for us. We can call it whatever the bloody hell we want.

and i also tend to agree with the views that this move could be detrimental to the sport due to the recognition factor. Only time will tell.

You cant compare Soccer to Footy.

Soccer with its aggressive and very physical nature would kill the footy players in any physical contest. :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no doubt soccer is the biggest sport in the world. Its also got that status for a reason. The reason why some people dont like it is because its more popular than their own sport.

Also, in terms of the game itself, it is low scoring and the diving is a bit too exaggerated. Nevertheless, I am a fan of soccer and love playing it. Having soccer succeed in Australia is a good thing for the nation.

Sid said:
There is no doubt soccer is the biggest sport in the world. Its also got that status for a reason. The reason why some people dont like it is because its more popular than their own sport.

Also, in terms of the game itself, it is low scoring and the diving is a bit too exaggerated. Nevertheless, I am a fan of soccer and love playing it. Having soccer succeed in Australia is a good thing for the nation.

Yes soccer is the biggest sport in the world but I beleive this has more to do with it originating from europe at the same time that europe was colonising the world. than the game itself.

The reason I beleive it being so popular amongst Australias youth, and not just because it is a fun game to play but it is easy for it to be grasped at such a low level (U8 etc). Please don't misinterperate what I'm saying that the players at an elite level lack skill because I'm not. It's just that anybody can kick a round ball along the ground but to bend it like becham is something too behold.

Hoops said:
Yes soccer is the biggest sport in the world but I beleive this has more to do with it originating from europe at the same time that europe was colonising the world. than the game itself.

The reason I beleive it being so popular amongst Australias youth, and not just because it is a fun game to play but it is easy for it to be grasped at such a low level (U8 etc). Please don't misinterperate what I'm saying that the players at an elite level lack skill because I'm not. It's just that anybody can kick a round ball along the ground but to bend it like becham is something too behold.
good point and definitely cant disagree.

Peronally I find it offensive and confusing in what the SBS does in demanding that soccer be called football . The convention is that a country's national game or the dominent game be called football . There are many types of football and soccer is saying none of those can be called football .In Perth if somebody says football , we all know it's the Australian game . In Sydney it's wise for the same game to be called Australian Football just to prevent confusion .What do they wish American and Gaelic football to be called ?
Call it the world game , european football , but if soccer insists on calling itself solely football then we should all refer to it by it's proper title " English Rules Football ."

butterflykiss said:
In Australia, Australian Football is FOOTBALL not the pommy invented soccer!
hate to break it to you but if you're going to be racist about it you'll have to start saying "bloody ******** who invented soccer", not the pommies, as you have proclaimed

Footy = Australian Football
Soccer = Football

I will still call "Football" Soccer, and will still call "Australian Football" Footy.

A

cos789 said:
Peronally I find it offensive and confusing in what the SBS does in demanding that soccer be called football . The convention is that a country's national game or the dominent game be called football . There are many types of football and soccer is saying none of those can be called football .In Perth if somebody says football , we all know it's the Australian game . In Sydney it's wise for the same game to be called Australian Football just to prevent confusion .What do they wish American and Gaelic football to be called ?
Call it the world game , european football , but if soccer insists on calling itself solely football then we should all refer to it by it's proper title " English Rules Football ."

As you said, football is used to refer to the dominant code in any one area. In Perth, Melbourne and Adelaide it would be Australian Rules, in Sydney it is Rugby League. And soccer's proper name is "Association Football".

Those who don't like soccer are usually those with short attention spans who think that a game needs to be high scoring to be exciting. These people dont understand the subtleties of the beautiful game that is soccer.

lasher said:
just thought i'd let you know i hope it dives , soccer is crud and a nancy boys sport...

Tenner says you couldn't last a proper game, tough guy.

Changing the name of "Soccer" to "Football" in this country is stupid.

This is the only country in the world that has a legitmaite choice of 4 football codes. Two of those codes use the word" football" in their official title.

Those two sports are Australian Football and Association Football. In this country we abbreviate the first one to football, and the second one to Soccer (soccer being an abbreviation for Associaton.)

It doesn't matter what they call it in Europe becauser there is no other code that has the word "fotball" in the title to confuse matters. But here in Oz, Australian football (logically abbreviated to "football") is huge and and, shortening Association Football to "football" as well, would only confuse matters.

Either call Association Football by its full name or call it Soccer. The word Soccer is an abbreviation, just as "football" is an abbreviation so what difference does it make which abbreviation you use? Might as well just use the abbreviation that offers the least confusion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back